WnSoft Forums

slide show with AV sequences

bobpearson

I am returning to PtoE (8.0) after a number of years away. I know there was a way of doing the following but it was clumsy and I can't remember it! Perhaps there is now a simple way.

I wish to give a slide talk with the next slide controlled by the right arrow key on the keyboard. I want to include within the talk 3 slide av's synchronised to music with the av triggered by the right arrow key, and when the av completes returned to the next slide in the slide talk. What is the current best proctice to achieve this?

May thanks

If you can convert the EXE files to MP4 you can include the MP4 as a slide and not have to "leave" the presentation.

To do this you will need the original Project File to create the MP4. Publish Show / HD Video.

If you only have the EXE files, look at the "Action on Mouse Click" Options in Objects and Animation / Common Tab.

http://docs.picturestoexe.com/en/objects-and-animation/common_tab

The EXE files will, depending on which option you choose, need to be created with the same version as the show you are creating.

Latest version is 8.0.17: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17226-picturestoexe-8/

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

I am returning to PtoE (8.0) after a number of years away. I know there was a way of doing the following but it was clumsy and I can't remember it! Perhaps there is now a simple way.

I wish to give a slide talk with the next slide controlled by the right arrow key on the keyboard. I want to include within the talk 3 slide av's synchronised to music with the av triggered by the right arrow key, and when the av completes returned to the next slide in the slide talk. What is the current best proctice to achieve this?

May thanks

Hi Bob

Welcome back. You need to create a manual menu. Rather than me quote chapter & verse, search the new on-line help, starting with those two words.

Regards Yachtsman1.

Thanks for you help.

I have created .exe files of the 3 slide sequences. In the slide talk I have gone to the slide prior to where I want the slide sequence to start and O&A slected the Common tab selected run slideshow with return and supplied the link to the .exe file. Unfortunately nothing happens, when I press the right arrow on the keyboard it misses out the slide sequence and jumps to the next slide. What am I missing?

Thanks

Bob

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Bob

Did you set up your keyboard in "Project Options" Control. See attached screen shot. I've also attached a few tutorials on menus I made some time ago, I think in PTE7? but the principle is still the same.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-97158700-1435920408_thumb.jp

Hi - its working. Selecting the common tab in Object and Animation, setting Action on Mouse click to Run slideshow with return and then pointing to the slideshow.exe did work - but NOT in preview. Once the whole slide talk is a .exe it works fine.

Thanks very much for your help.

Bob

Dave,

I suspect Bob may have used short-form names (i.e. fffffff.exe - without any pathname). I think the Preview EXE is built in a Windows system folder of some kind. To launch the subordinate EXE, from a menu EXE using such short-form names, both EXE files have to be in the same folder.

Peter

My test with a simple menu and show made in 8.0.17:

The Menu and Show are saved in a Single folder and the Link to the Show works OK in Preview and also when run as an EXE (Run Slideshow with return).

If the folder containing the Menu and Show is MOVED (not copied) to a different location the the Link is preserved and when the Menu EXE is run the Link brings up the Show with no problems. If the .pte file and all images etc are in the same folder then opening the project from the new location causes no "File not Found" problems.

DG

Hi, I still have a problem. I have created a slide talk, it has 3 positions posn1, posn2 and postn 3 where I want to call 1 of 3 slide shows, slidsh1,slidsh2 and slidsh 3. All 3 slideshows have been created by PtoE 8 and are in the same folder. They are all called identically (Run slideshow with return). All 3 slideshows can be called ok from posn1 and posn3. None of the slideshows respond to a call at posn2.. The call is identical, I have tried calling from a different slide but nothing works. I am at a total loss.

Any suggestions?

Bob

Bob,

Can you explain "Position"??

Normally, you have a MENU SLIDE which has Links attached to OBJECTS such as Thumbnails or Text.

I don't understand "Position".

Perhaps someone else understands??

When you hover your mouse over one of your links in "Position 2" does the cursor change from a pointer to the hand symbol??

DG

Hi again,

Reading some of the previous replies it looks like it is thought that I am running from a screen menu. I am not running from a static menu. The aim is that as i move through the slide talk going to each next slide with the right mouse button and at 3 points in the talk the mouse button starts a continuous slide show with music. So for each position in the slide talk that I want the slide show to start I have gone into O&A mode for the slide and in in the common tab set on right mouse to run slide show with return. The slide shows are all in the same folder as the slide talk and I am giving the full path name for each slide show. As I have indicated, positions 1 and 3 never fail to call the slideshow - the slideshow can be set to any one of the three, but the middle position never calls a slideshow. As I have said earlier this all has to be tried from the .exe of the talk, preview mode never makes a call.

Looking forward to a simple explanation.

Thanks

Bob

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi again,

Reading some of the previous replies it looks like it is thought that I am running from a screen menu. I am not running from a static menu. The aim is that as i move through the slide talk going to each next slide with the right mouse button and at 3 points in the talk the mouse button starts a continuous slide show with music. So for each position in the slide talk that I want the slide show to start I have gone into O&A mode for the slide and in in the common tab set on right mouse to run slide show with return. The slide shows are all in the same folder as the slide talk and I am giving the full path name for each slide show. As I have indicated, positions 1 and 3 never fail to call the slideshow - the slideshow can be set to any one of the three, but the middle position never calls a slideshow. As I have said earlier this all has to be tried from the .exe of the talk, preview mode never makes a call.

Looking forward to a simple explanation.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob

It's simple when you know how :wacko: , but you are not providing enough information on what is happening to you. Did you check my tutorials? If the whole kit & caboodle isn't too large, why not zip it & upload it to Mediafire or Dropbox & send or post the link on here. Screen shots of what you are doing would help if the file is too large. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Yachtsman1.

"When you hover your mouse over one of your links in "Position 2" does the cursor change from a pointer to the hand symbol??"

Do you have a transparent object "above" the links which is preventing the cursor from accessing the link??

DG

Bob,

What happens if you create a project that has in it just three slides: the one before your "Position2", the one at "Position 2" and the one after "Position 2"? Are you then able to launch the desired AV sequence at Position 2?

Peter

Hi I have created a slide show with just 3 images. A right click on the mouse or the right arrow is required to move from the first image to the next. I have linked to a .exe sequence in to O&A common tab for each slide. The .exe files are in the same folder as the slide show .exe. Now NONE of the sequences are called. I must have a fundamental misunderstanding how this is meant to work!

I have put screen grabs in dropbox but have failed to paste a link into this forum unfortunately.

Bob

Guest Yachtsman1

Take a look here, it may point where you are going wrong with Dropbox. If you reduce your screenshots to 800 pixels wide you should be able to add around 5 to your post.

Yachtsman1.

WHAT Object have you linked to the external slide show???

You have to select an object in O&A (highlight it) and then use the "Action on Mouse Click" and the selected Object must be "on top" (not covered by another transparent object).

DG

The object is a previously created .exe file of a slide sequence syncronised to music. Selecting <object & animation> for a slide in the slide show where I want the sequence to appear brings up the 3 tabs properties/Common/Animation. Selecting Common gives the name of the slie in the slide show. Below this is action on mouse click. I set this to "Run slideshow with return". This brings up a browse window where I select the .exe file of the slide sequence I wish to run. I leave transparent to selection unticked and leave mode set to "Fit to slide". What else do I need to do?

On the question of Dropbox I have uploaded my screen grabs to Dropbox. Unfortunately my dropbox and email are on a Mac and I have been unable to find a way of getting the link to my images in Dropbox into the forum mail which is on my windows machine.

Bob

Bob,

I meant which object in the slide are you applying the link to??

In the Objects Panel you will see an object - an image or text object.

You click on (highlight) that object and then go to the common tab to apply the hyperlink.

When the exe is running you click on that object to apply the hyperlink and run your external show.

DG

post-2488-0-42995600-1436046304_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

I set this to "Run slideshow with return".

Bob

Check my menu screen shot in 21, mine is set to "Run Application or Open File" mine works!

Yachtsman1.

AAB3ULtp2U1S-jZ608HuVZoCa.html

Hi again, above is the link to dropbox. Hopefully you can see the screen grabs. You refer to an example '21' I don't know where this example is located.

We clearly have a misunderstanding of what I am trying to do, and indeed did successfully in an earlier version of PtoE some years ago. I have now created a slide SHOW with 3 slides changing the project option to specify control from the keyboard, ie each slide remains on the screen indefinitely until there is a key press. For each slide I am leaving the slide control to the default setting. Now with the middle slide selected I go into "Objects and Animation" and select the Common Tab. At the top of the tab is shown the name of the slide. Immediately below this is "action on mouse click" by default set to None. Clicking on the None button produces a dropdown menu from which I select "Run slide show with return". This opens a browse box in explorer to select a file. All the files are in the same folder and I choose the .exe file I wish to run. The link is automatically copied into the tabs browse window showing it is linked to the correct executable file.

However, when I run the project when I get to the middle slide and right click to move on no call is made to the .exe file.

I hope this is clearer.

Many thanks

Bob