WnSoft Forums

DVD Video Disc

Johnwnjr

I successfully made a DVD disc at the beginning of May via PTE 8.0 on a Windows 7 PC. Now the DVD will not make another disc or play back any DVDs. It will still copy jpgs to a CD. Since May I have clicked on the Windows 10 icon and booked the upgrade later this month. Windows 10 will not have a program to run computer installed DVD/CDs which Windows 7 does. Is it possible that already there has been a Windows Update disconnecting the operation of the player? The message I get from attempting to make a DVD is to "Insert a Disc" - which I do only for it to eject and repeat the request. The Disc inserted is the same type as the successful one.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi John

If you are receiving auto Windows up-dates, you could try a "system restore" to a date just before you made a successful DVD & see if the DVD function returns. If it does, re-set your up-dates to manual so you can dictate what you want.

Yachtsman1.

Thank you Yachtsman1 - I did do that and backdated restore to April 30th but this has not put it right. I had another go this evening and noticed that if I put a movie in I get a Windows dialog saying "Insert a Disc" which of course I do and if I try using PTE Video Builder it seems to produce its own dialog "Disc not inserted" and then it tells me Video Builder.exe is not responding.

Guest Yachtsman1

Thank you Yachtsman1 - I did do that and backdated restore to April 30th but this has not put it right. I had another go this evening and noticed that if I put a movie in I get a Windows dialog saying "Insert a Disc" which of course I do and if I try using PTE Video Builder it seems to produce its own dialog "Disc not inserted" and then it tells me Video Builder.exe is not responding.

Clutching at straws now, did you use a DVDR disc, did you use a virgin disc that hasn't been in the PC before? Did you try (assuming your disc tray opens when it says insert a disc) closing the tray until the disc is accepted? I had a similar situation with a batch of cheepo discs from Ebay, it resolved itself when the disc was finally accepted & gradually decreased with the remaining discs.

Yachtsman1.

I have put virgin DVD-R Disks into the drive which have not been used before, and just done it again without success. Each time I have pushed a disk into the drive I have waited until the DVD Drive light goes out. Although I had success with these Verbatim disks before I will go and get a new pack of a different make. I have also gone on the computer to DVD RW Drive (D) Properties which tells me "this device is working properly" I have also on other advice deleted the driver, rebooted and let Windows update the driver and then asked Windows to check the driver which come sup with "best driver already installed". Another thing I have done to test the drive is put an ordinary CD into the drive and that played back audio OK, but commercial DVDs do not - I have checked the Region on the computer which is United States Region 1, and I tried to change it to UK Region 2 but the computer doesn't allow that change. As I have said before it all worked OK previously and I have gone back to PTE 7.5 and tried burning a Disk in wnsoft Video Builder but it won't have it, dare I repeat "Insert a Disk or Disk not Inserted". So I still haven't solved this!

Guest Yachtsman1

I have put virgin DVD-R Disks into the drive which have not been used before, and just done it again without success. Each time I have pushed a disk into the drive I have waited until the DVD Drive light goes out. Although I had success with these Verbatim disks before I will go and get a new pack of a different make. I have also gone on the computer to DVD RW Drive (D) Properties which tells me "this device is working properly" I have also on other advice deleted the driver, rebooted and let Windows update the driver and then asked Windows to check the driver which come sup with "best driver already installed". Another thing I have done to test the drive is put an ordinary CD into the drive and that played back audio OK, but commercial DVDs do not - I have checked the Region on the computer which is United States Region 1, and I tried to change it to UK Region 2 but the computer doesn't allow that change. As I have said before it all worked OK previously and I have gone back to PTE 7.5 and tried burning a Disk in wnsoft Video Builder but it won't have it, dare I repeat "Insert a Disk or Disk not Inserted". So I still haven't solved this!

John

Another thought, do the discs that play auto use Windows Media Player? If they do, you could check the WMP set up to see if there is something blocking playing commercial discs. I remember in the past, around WMP 8 or 9 they introduced something to prevent stripping a track from a CD, I'm not saying it's that but stranger things have happened.

Yachtsman1.

John

your quote

" Another thing I have done to test the drive is put an ordinary CD into the drive and that played back audio OK, but commercial DVDs do not "

i think you have done all you can do

before you mess the system up, i would be taking the computer to the shop'

ken

I solved the problem by buying an External USB 2.0 Slim DVD CD R/RW Drive Burner Writer from Amazon £15.95 and Colin told me about Imgburn.com. Using PTE deluxe and Imgburn I have made another DVD successfully. The External DVD also solved a problem I had with my Laptop DVD not working after uploading Windows 8.1 and now plays all DVDs successfully. I haven't tried to burn anything through it yet but that should work too. Thanks for everyone's comments above.