WnSoft Forums

Out of sync playback

dpkolus

Hi everyone,

I'm new with this software, and just created my first PTE show using 120 slides with an MP3 soundtrack. Looks great on the desktop PC (running WIN XP). However, when I transferred the EXE file to my laptop, the picture and sound run about five seconds out of sync with each other. I knew there would be a difference in quality from the CRT to the LCD screen, but I wasn't expecting sound to slip with playback on a different machine. How are sound and picture locked together when the EXE file is created? I am now thinking Picture to EXE is NOT a good choice for distributing shows to a variety of people with a variety of computers, as the program does not seem to have consistency from machine to machine. Is this a known problem? Am I doing something wrong? Your thoughts please!

Derrick Kolus

Thanks for your reply, Michel. Can you elaborate? I looked at the custom sync box and found the timeline. I do not want to synchronize the show to the duration of the music - I've already set all the timings of the individual slides and transitions (and they're all different from each other) manually through the customize slide dialogues of each slide. If I select the customize synchronization option above the timeline, do I have to throw my original timings out and use the timeline to recreate them?

Can you explain what "Permit the control of show" means?

Is there documentation about the timeline and custom synchronization? I cannot find it anywhere in the online manual.

Thanks for your time.

Derrick Kolus

If I select the customize synchronization option above the timeline, do I have to throw my original timings out and use the timeline to recreate them?

You must first use "Timed points" and then "Add arranged points".

In the time line, by mouse double click on "to2" (example), you can customize each picture.

"Permit the control of show

When you look at you show, you can stop (to look a picture during a moment) or forward....the synchronised slide show (Project Options, Advanced, Action for mouse click).

Thanks for your reply, Michel. Can you elaborate? I looked at the custom sync box and found the timeline. I do not want to synchronize the show to the duration of the music - I've already set all the timings of the individual slides and transitions (and they're all different from each other) manually through the customize slide dialogues of each slide. If I select the customize synchronization option above the timeline, do I have to throw my original timings out and use the timeline to recreate them?

Can you explain what "Permit the control of show" means?

Is there documentation about the timeline and custom synchronization? I cannot find it anywhere in the online manual.

Thanks for your time.

Derrick Kolus

Hi, Derrick,

Welcome to the Forum!

I have a tutorial "PTE 101" on the Beechbrook site that briefly explains how to use the timeline.

This is the only way to ensure that you have perfect synchronization between images and music, as PTE plays slightly differently on different pc's.

I always use the timeline, but still find that the show timing is slightly different on other computers. I have found that the answer is to reduce the size of your images as much as possible so that slower computers can cope better with loading them. I also always use mp3 files for the sound.

Eddie

Thank you all for your advice. We have since re-cued the show using the timeline, and haven't had any more synch issues with our computers.

We have a slideshow posted on a website, and have heard from at least one person who cannot download the show and play it from their hard drive, but can play it directly off the website. I don't have access to their machine, and do not know what could cause this kind of behavior.

Also, regarding Eddie's post, is there a limit to the file size that can be played back with accurate sync? Does anyone have guidelines for how large a file I could use and still be assured of maximum playability with other people's computers?

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

Sincerely,

Derrick Kolus

cannot download the show and play it from their hard drive, but can play it directly off the website.

I would question whether that is really what is happening. Maybe someone can correct me?

Also, regarding Eddie's post, is there a limit to the file size that can be played back with accurate sync?

The finished PTE.exe file size should not ever be a limiting factor - as long as you use the timeline sync. Without the timeline sync, a 40 meg show lasting 1/2 hour could easily be out of sync early and get worse as the show progresses.