WnSoft Forums

Viewing Presentations

jeanie

Hello everyone :rolleyes:

I would love to view more of the presentations over on the Beechbrook Cottage site but the download times appear so long. Eg. the Signs of Old would take my PC 1 hour 20 min. My telephone then would be out of action and sometimes my service provider Freeserve cuts me off and I have to keep checking.I don't think I can afford Broadband. I don't suppose there is any other way of seeing these? It's a pity someone couldn't put all the best AVs onto a CD and offer them for sale quite cheaply. By the way What does the download count mean? Is it an indication of time taken to download?

jeanie

Hi Jeanie,

to answer in reverse,the download count is the number of times the show has been down loaded from the site. I agree that the download time is prohibitive for us who are using 56k modems. But if you start compiling CDs of shows for sale, you start getting into copyright laws and other legal nasties. I have given and recieved work on CDs within the forum and also the A/V comunity here in Ireland and the UK. I think this is a good way to share ideas and show your work to a greater audience. But you need to be sure of the person you give your work to, and that they will honnour the spirit in which it's given. I know Barry Beckham has CDs for sale on his site if you want to search the forum for the addredd. These include some of his fine work, but I think a "greatest hits of the forum" would be dificult to organise and control,

Alan

you could get a download manager like Gozilla - then if you get cut off you can resume the download

a quick search on altavista revealed

http://us.altavista.com/web/results?tlb=1&...ownload+manager

i use gozilla myself

but i also use 3 of fresh devices free products and they are also offering a free download manager -- i have no experience with it

ken

Hi Jeanie

I also have only a phone line connection to the internet at home. What I do is download a slide show from Beechbrook on a computer with broadband. In my case that is at my work ;) but you can also do it at a friend or maybe a library. From that computer I put it on a USB flash drive and bring it home to my computer. A 128MB USB Flash drive cost around $30 in the US.

Maybe this is an idea for you.

Regards,

Bert