WnSoft Forums

Handy picture software

Jimbo

I installed PICASA the other day...Google has recently bought it...and I think it might be something that PTEer's could consider for organizing their photos if they don't already have a program that they're happy with...it works very well--including having a "light Table" feature, something that has been mentioned here on the forum lately--and is easy to set up and operate. And it's free. Definitely worth a look if you're searching for an app to put your digital house in order. It doesn't do much in the way of editing but it does a good job with cataloging and displaying all the pics on your computer. Regards, Jim.

http://www.picasa.com/google/

Hi

I presume you are aware that the very reliable latest beta version of PtoE now includes an easy to use light table?

All Hail to Igor for his efforts on our behalf.

Indeed I am aware...the wonderful Igor and team continue to shower us with improvements, including the vaunted light-table. The Picasa app would be a useful tool for when you're not in PTE but you're doing a little sorting and seeing what all you have to pick from for your slide-show. It does limit the file types it can handle but probably for most people it covers the ones they deal with most. I see it being useful to sort out which pics you'd like to use in PTE from many different folders on your HD, it gives you a good over-view of what you've got..Jim.

I'll give Picasa a big vote. I have played with it for an hour or so and it will be very useful for organizing in the pre-PTE stage. With several thousand images on multible disks there was lots of junk that I had lost track of. So Picasa is a good tool to weed out the discards. I was also surprised that it shows .psd images although that format is not listed. Unfortunately it did not show vector images, only rasters. And you can't complain about the price!

You might like to have a look at Pixort. It's also free.

It's aimed at the initial sort of a batch of images. You can assign categories of 1 to 5 (say for keepers to bin-jobs) and assign them to subdirectories for each level. You can have two or more images open at once, for comparison, and zoom them all at the same time. Biggest advantage for me is that it will work with RAW files.

For a really serious image database you can't beat iMatch. Not free but not expensive either.

We've had a look at Pixort in a previous thread and generally found it a non-starter and was fortunately overtaken by the infinitely preferred PTE version 4.30 with its "Light Table".

Ron [uK]