WnSoft Forums

Image size and 4K

stonemason

I've been following numerous threads about the creation of 4K mp4 video, and it caused me to think about image size. I tend to make my slideshows from 2880 x 1800 images (16:10) because using 16:10 aspect ratio allows me to use more of the image area from my 3:2 aspect ratio camera images, (I'm happy to live with the black bands on either side of the slideshow on the average 16:9 equipment) My question is are people making their slideshows using 3840 x 2160 (4K standard) sized images, and what impact does that have on exe slideshows, or making slideshows from 1920 x 1080 images and allowing the video encoder to upscale them to 4K standard?

Many thanks

Geoff

Hi, Geoff!

From my personal experience, and I might add I am a little OCD on my shows, lol.  I export the images chosen for the show in Lightroom to jpeg at full resolution to a working folder.  The higher resolution gives PTE latitude to zoom for panning and other effects without any noticeable degradation of image quality.  I started out resizing to 3840x2160 from Lightroom, but was not happy with zooms and panning.  I'm sure the same would apply to the resolution you are working with.

Ron

Geoff, 
In 2015 I went on the trip of a lifetime. ( 27 days, 17 cities, 6500 photos ) After all was said and done, I made a slide show, mostly for myself. I sized the images 1920 x 1080 and made a high def. show. Fast forward to 2017, and all my slide shows are now 4K, with the images sized to 4800 x 2700. Fast forward even further to 2019, and my 2015 1920 x 1080 slide show is virtually unwatchable on a 65" 4K TV at viewing distance of 5'. Yeah, I know, nobody watches a 65"  Tv from 5' except me.  I had to redo the slide show by re-cropping from the original files. 

Since I was redoing the show, I was also able to add new effects including my patent pending 3D rotation effect. 

It's my guess that in 10 years, all the 4K tv's in my house will be 8K tv's. I am hoping that if I redo the 4K slide show into 8K slide shows, with those 4800 x 2700, the show will look OK on my 108" 8K TV.