WnSoft Forums

Something for Mac Users

scooley

I believe that I have read that PTE does not work for Macs. I have a client for whom I made a slideshow but he can not open an exe file.

Is there some way to create a slide show that Mac users can view. I tried to copy the temporary avi file created for dvd but was not able to do so.

Anybody have a suggestion or solution?

Scooley:

I think the lack of reponse unfortunately indicates that there is no solution for your problem.

This issue of MACs comes up regularly and essentially it is a no-go.

Anybody have a suggestion or solution?

Sure we have! It's true, a Mac machine cannot execute an .exe file, but it can read a DVD (or SVCD). Don't try to copy the .avi file. Simply make a DVD or a SVCD, and you'll solved your problems!

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

Guru, I guess the dvd version will work. However, do you know if there is a way to advance "frame by frame" with a dvd slideshow? (The files are too big for a SVCD.)

Ken, that's a great idea too! Since you thought of it I'll let you be the one who gets to give the xmas gift. I wouldn't want to steal your thunder.... Just send it to me and I'll be sure to pass it along!

Ciao,

Steve

...there is a way to advance "frame by frame" with a dvd slideshow?

I don't know Mac DVD readers, but why you need "frame by frame"? You cannot make a DVD from a PTE presentation with one picture per frame!

If SVCD is too small, make a DVD... Mac OS X can play DVD's without any problem.

Guru,

I was afraid that question would come up. Normally I use PTE for a slideshow of all images taken at a wedding or other event. We are always a two-photographer team and usually average 1200-1500 images over the course of 8 - 10 hours of wedding coverage. The primary slideshow is sync'ed to music and is given autorun status on the CD.

I then reproduce the slideshow without music as a totally manual operation. The client can then click through each image to examine them at their leisure. This makes for an excellent proofing tool since I can provide a fairly high res image in a manner that is very difficult to "capture" (if you know what I mean).

Because of the PTE file size I can usually fit both of these shows on one CD. Clients love it. (Now if we could only find a way to prevent copying the CD I'd be really happy.)

Most of my clients have PCs and this method works great. I just don't want to give up my MAC clients or have to come up with another way of proofing for them.

Ciao,

Steve