WnSoft Forums

Waveform

Ednys

I have not had anything to do with playing around with sound on the computer before and wish to try after being inspired by several wonderful downloaded presentations.

I have downloaded a copy of Audacity, and am trying to learn what to do with it :( .

My query is about the waveform that has been added to PTE. Exactly what is its purpose? can a second sound track be added to it via PTE some way or is it just to show where a track starts and finishes?

Do other folk add there extra tracks via a program like audacity and hope they get them in the right place? That all seems a bit hit and miss to me at this stage in my learning program.

I am going to keep practicing, but if anyone has any tips please let me know. I am hoping to do something for my next slideshow....

Thank you all

Glenys :rolleyes:

The waveform display in PTE is simply to help with positioning image transitions to the music, e.g. you may wish to have a particular slide appear at a peak in the sound wave. It is not a music editor - you need to stick to Audacity or similar.

To combine music in Audacity simply get the two pieces onto the screen, select one waveform by dragging over it, press CTRL C (to copy it), position the cursor at the end of the other wave, press CTRL V (to paste). You will then have the two waves combined.

Look at the Audacity link where you'll find links to tutorials etc.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/windows.php?lang=en

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply Roger.

O.K that helps me to add two tracks together as one I have managed to do that once for a show. I did'nt make it clear what I would like to do this time.

What I am hoping to achieve is running a musical background and adding a voice over or other sound effect to an original track. Like some of the other clever slide show presenters have done. It is this action that I am wrestling with at the moment, making sure that I get the added bit in the right place. I am trying to figure out the easy way of doing it........... <_<

As I said I am new to this sound fiddling, only used one track of music so far. I did read in one of the forum notes about mixing down and peaking :(:huh::blink:

Nowt is ever straight forward is it when you try to get started.

Glenys

Glenys,

You can add a "voice-over" in the "Sound" line at the bottom of the main window, but this is only good for the duration of that slide. When the next slide comes up, the voice-over, if still active, will be cut off. However, if you plan things right, it can be quite useful.

I've located this in the tutorial material available when you download Audacity.

Try this:

Open the background music).

Select Import Audio... from the Project menu and open the other sound , e.g. a recorded narration.

Listen to your sound using the Play button.

Audacity automatically mixes them together.

Choose the Time Shift tool and adjust the position of one track or the other until they're synchronized the way you want them. You can even move tracks around while they're playing.

If you hear clipping which wasn't present in either of the original files, it means that the combined volume of the two tracks is too loud. If so, elect one or both of the tracks and then use the Amplify... effect to reduce the volumes until you don't hear clipping anymore.

Save as mp3 for pte.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have printed these pages out and will refer to them as I go along.

I am not quite ready yet to do the sound part, still getting the photos together and photoshopping them. :P I need to think a bit more about the music and how and what I wish to add to it. I have a few ideas swishing around in my head hopefully I will be able to make them come to fruition.

Just want to try to develop my skills both with PTE and sound.

Glenys Cooke

Thank you Al,

Just an update I have found that some of the effect that I wish to do can be done from the sound line at the bottom of the window as you suggested....

I must admit I had not used this sound line before.

See it shows once again the value of this forum, we can all learn so much from you guys who are in the know.

Thank you again

Glenys