WnSoft Forums

Hello everybody, I'm new.

Moelwyn

Hi to everybody, I'm Moelwyn, I'm 31 and I live in South Wales, UK. I have just started a business as a part time Photographer after pursuing my passion for taking pictures for 10 years.

I have recently completed a PTE presentation for a client and need to make 40 copies to CD for their own distribution. The Client was very impressed and pleased with the show and I'm quite proud considering the last time I used PTE was over a year ago. I had to brush up on all my knowledge and skills all over again.

I found out how to make the CD autorun and all is fine exept for one thing that is bothering me. If escape is pressed during the show then all is well and I'm returned to the desktop, however if I eject the CD during the show I get a an error message telling me the CD is missing and to replace it (which would be normal) but when you try and close this message it comes back about 4 times then everything freezes! I then have to call up Windows Task Manager to end the program. On top of this my CD drive eject button doesnt respond and I have to restart windows to open it! I think that the latter fault is my own CD ROM drive but this is not confirmed.

The CD drive does open when the eject button is first pressed but not if you close it again (with CD in) as requested by the message.

The same thing happens if ejected using my DVD ROM but the drive does open to allow me to remove the disk.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.

My biggest worry is that these problems will occur when my clients customers run the show on their pc's and it will cause problems which will return to me. I assume not all will have up to date pc's and the knowledge of how to deal with this problem should it happen.

I could place a message telling them to always press escape before ejecting but do people listen?

My other option is just to give the show as a file but my client wants autorun.

I have read a lot of posts on this site (so glad I found it!) but havnt found any to report a similar problem.

All you guys know what your on about (and KEN if your reading, you must be the Godfather of the site!!) :)

So I hope someone out there can help me in some way, it would be very much appreciated ;)

I shall be pinned to my pc all weekend for your responces as this commission has to be handed in on tuesday!!

Thank you very much and keep up the good work,

Moelwyn.

Moelwyn:

Sounds as though you are running the show from the CD, and then while it is showing, you are rejecting the CD.

Maybe I misunderstood, but if that is what you are doing, you can't do that. You need the CD to stay in the drive if you want the show to continue.

Yes, when taking a CD out prematurely when copying from it, I have found the same problem of the computer telling me the disk is not there even though I have re-inserted it.

You just have to learn to not reject it before the computer is finshed with it.

You could copy the show to the hard drive and then reject the CD if that is what you really want

Thanks Jim for your reply. I understand that you shouldnt eject the CD during the show, but its not me I'm worried about its the 40 people that will receive the show on CD. I'm worried that not all people are computer illiterate enough to know how to rectify the problem as a result of ejecting the CD during the show. Yes, the ideal situation would be to save the show to the hard drive (which would be ideal for 1 end user) but since there will be 40 unknown end users this would be an impossible task.

Maybe I should have been more clear with my original post but what I'm trying to find out is if there is something I can do or some file I could add to the CD to stop this from happening?

Is there something I could do so that the show just ends and you are returned to the desktop if you eject the CD half way through the show?

Thanks again,

Moelwyn :unsure:

Guest Techman1

Moelwyn,

Hello. First, if I'm understanding you correctly, make sure your show ends after the last slide has been shown. Then it will release control of the CD and the PC won't have a problem when the CD is ejected. Secondly, people that use PC's should know that ejecting a CD while a program is reading from it causes a problem. I know many people who discovered this quickly and hopefully remembered. I know that doesn't help, but I wanted to say it anyway. ;) If you'll check out some of Boxig's programs, you'll find one that does temporarily install your show to someone's PC, plays it from the HD and then it can be removed after the show is complete. You might want to consider this as a form of distribution. I think I would simply provide a note to each user that the CD must stay in the PC during the show.

Good luck, I hope this helped a little.

Fred

Fred, thank you very much for you reply. What your saying is right and I'll attach a note with each CD.

I'm more confident now in giving the CD's as they are and will have some answers ready if people ring me up with problems. But do you know why it doesnt happen with other .exe files on CD (eg free CD's with Magazines)? When you simple eject diring their presentations the CD ejects properly and you are returned to your desktop as you would expect. Do they include some file on the CD to make sure this happens?

I'm no programmer and wouldnt know how to do this but surely theres somebody out there that knows how. Maybe this is something for WnSoft to address and a nother bug they could fix?

There should be something placed within the .exe file when the show is created so that you are returned to the desktop should you eject the CD half way during the show, WHAT DOES EVERY BODY THINK ABOUT THAT? :(

Take care, Moelwyn.

Hi Moelwin!

I think the problem is difficult to solve, because not all Windows systems't behave in the same way, and CD too, as you experienced yourself. For example Win 2000 doesn't freeze, and shows a window that asks if you want cancel, retry or continue, and anyhow Esc key allows to end the presentation.

Solarwind suggests an interesting solution it's worth while trying on your system.