WnSoft Forums

Need advice on P2EXE presentation

ChesapkLady

In just a bit over a week I will be presenting a 90 minute seminar and will be using a slide show that I've produced in P2EXE. Most "sensible" people would use PowerPoint, but I LOVE P2EXE, and am comfortable with the way I can handle the image area. I've done graphics, brought in photos, added type, etc., etc., and hope that I will be able to wow them with what I've done. And I am totally delighted by the new upgrade which lets me use the "light table" to sort my slides!

Here's my concern: In the setup I have not set a specific duration for each slide, but will instead be clicking forward or reverse to show the next slide or back up. This is as I'd like it. But in previewing the show I've found that if I click several slides quickly in sequence P2EXE will seem to say, "Aha! I understand what you want, let me just take over here!" and it will take that pace of slide changes until I scramble to stop it -- which stops the show. :o Am I in danger of having that occur when I'm standing up there in front of 50 people? If so is there a way to "tell it" NEVER run automatically, unless I SPECIFICALLY tell you otherwise?

Would appreciate advice on this -- I REFUSE to use PowerPoint when there is this lovely application which is so slick and fun and easy!

Thank you, Thank you!

Peggy

Peggy,

IMO, most "sensible" people would use PTE! :)

What if you set the default delay time to say, 5000 seconds? Would this do the trick? You would also have to make sure all customized times were long, too, except where you want the program to take over.

I don't know if "sensible" people will use PowerPoint, but most would use it for presentations. I see PTE as basically a slide show software package and a great one at that. But it cannot compete as yet, with all the custom animation, background, multiple images on screen, etc., although I see that Igor is inching toward a PPT type of technology. Notice that "zoom" is available in PPT and if that comes about in PTE, it will be another inch closer to PPT at a very low price. Just IMHO of course.

Custom animation etc. from PPT is one thing, but Bill G really likes his applications to be in control at all times. He has ALWAYS thought that he was smarter than you are, and that his applications "know" what you want. As a result PowerPoint always looks like PowerPoint. This presentation that I'm doing with PTE does not. It looks like a combination of the old fashioned 35mm slide show and a PTE presentation, which is an interesting combination believe me! Much more versatile and personalized than Bill G can give me. As for multiple images I can do an amazing array of stuff in PhotoShop, with layers and "snapshots," then more layers etc.

I think I like the idea of setting the time at 5000 seconds and will try that. I just don't want the thing running away with me when I'm in the middle of it!

Thanks -- any other suggestions or comments?

Peggy

If it helps, I used the same technique (i.e. very long duration time) with a presentation last evening and it worked perfectly.

I've lots of experience with powerpoint but still chose PTE for this because the talk was about photography (including using PTE) & I wanted to keep to a uniform style throughout.

All I did to control the show was to set the mouse options to Pause for left button & previous slide for right button, making sure the cursor was not hidden.

Good luck!

GREAT suggestions -- many thanks! I'm pretty certain that with a couple of these techniques I won't have a problem. I'm going to do a run-through for my husband and two friends on this coming Sunday and will try the suggestions. First and foremost, 5000 seconds. After that I'll try both "pause" and "back," and then the forward and back arrows.

:D I'm a happy camper!

Peggy

Another suggestion is, add "Next" and "Back" keys on each pages, and stop the "forward" and "backward" functions from mouse, that is the most secure way for you to stop the problem.

solarwind,

You would also need to add a "pause" button to stop the automatic advance under control of the "duration" timing. Then "advance" and "back" buttons will have the desired effect while leaving the show still in "pause" mode. :)

A lot of extra work just to make sure the show does not get away from you, but it does give you a little more positive control.