WnSoft Forums

Video Temporary files

Tony Falla

I presume that this question has been asked before but having looked through the forum I can not see it being discussed.

I am curious as to why when creating video files for burning to DVD or CD, PTE only creates temporary files. Is there some legal / technical reason why this is done? It is just that it seems to me, in my naivety, to be a clumsy way of doing it having to open multi copies of PTE.

I have just created a DVD with 5 PTE which has only used just over 1GB on a DVD. I realise that it depends on individual projects but this could mean over 20 PTE projects open to create a DVD which must start to have an impact on the rest of the PC.

Tony the short answer is Igor uses as many of windows "tools" as he possibly can so he can keep the actual program small in size thus less problems

Igor will have to give you the long answer.

I should have mentioned that you could import each temp avi into TMPGEnc and convert them to vcd or svcg quality mpgs for reuse when building another dvd -- they can be converted to dvd files but i haven't figured how to use them

I use Nero 6. suite platinum and WinDvd 6 and can import the temp avi's into them and they do all the encoding - generally without a hitch depending on the total raw size of the of the files -- have found that Nero balks when a mpg is much over 700 megs -- there are many things to learn once you enter the dvd burning game -- i have burned +- 500 dvd disks since this July and i am just scratching the surface of the learning curve

ken

Thanks, Ken.

Yes, we want to keep PTE as a smaller and stable software.

If we add own MPEG2 encoder it will increase prices, add 3 MB to size of program. After this we will be asked to add own DVD burner and creator of DVD menu :) I can't guarantee that all it will work without bugs on every PC.

So we've added ability for experting slide-shows to any video format via universal AVI file.

There are two different ways to use it:

1) Use our temporal (virtual) AVI format as link for lossless transfering of video and audio directly for converting into MPEG2.

2) Or choose "Create custom AVI file" option and choose any AVI video format. MPEG4, MJPEG, or even lossless AVI formats and you'll receive usual stand-alone AVI file.

P.S. Also using our own temporal AVI file (PicturesToExe Video codec), then you can open this file in Microsoft Movie Maker program and produce small stand-alone .avi file for playing on PocketPC 2003.

• 2 weeks later...

Igor,

I've been able to produce consistent DVD-videos with PTE and Roxios DVDBuilder. I'm impressed with the versatility of PTE! Thank you for all your hard work!

I'm now working on refinements and want to keep my avi files permanently. I thought from your comments that I should be able to.

"2) Or choose "Create custom AVI file" option and choose any AVI video format. MPEG4, MJPEG, or even lossless AVI formats and you'll receive usual stand-alone AVI file."

I'm using version 4.31 and selected "create custome avi file". But if I click on the Finish button, the AVI file is removed. Is there a way to get the complete AVI file to be written and to prevent its removal?

Thanks,

Lincoln