WnSoft Forums

Using gifs in "Reflet"

ChesapkLady

I've been researching for the last 5 months for a project that I will be presenting in less than two weeks and I am now in the stage of actually forming the slide show -- this is my favorite part!

I've downloaded the little application "Reflet," which allows you to create a gif that appears to be a moving reflection in water, and have my title slide prepared that way. Hmm. When I preview the image it is static, which doesn't mean that it will be static if I know how to manage it properly, which I obviously don't . . .

So, can I use this application to produce images for my PTE presentation? Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance,

Peggy

If you can extract all the still images from your "ripple' gif, place them in sequence as JPGs into your PTE show then run them there at a very fast rate with the "Enable Transition Effects" box UNchecked you will get an effect pretty similar to your original animated GIF...you'll probably have to play around with the timing of your JPEGs to get the water ripple effect right but it does work, I've done it quite a few times myself. In fact you don't even have to convert them to JPGs if you don't want, static GIFs will work but with lower color properties.

If you don't have any luck doing it let me know and I'll send you details.

Jim.

It sounds as if "Reflet" might be a Java applet that creates the illusion of a moving reflection by flipping the image and distorting it. If so, its not actually an animated gif so there wouldn't be any individual images to capture.

The "speed" of the reflections are governed by the processor of the PC viewing the effect. If you look Java reflections there are some images I made several years ago on a much slower machine than I have now! They looked okay then, but now on a faster machine look more like a hurricane blowing up.....

If Reflet IS a java applet, it might be that you'd need to make several 'distorted' images in Photoshop to use in a PTE animation.

Ian

I haven't actually seen Reflet but if it is a Java app then indeed, as said by Ian, the capture method of extracting individual frames won't work..you could try a program called GIF Construction Set by Alchemy, it's a very handy animated GIF maker and it has an action--"LAKE"--which produces a good looking water reflection/ripple effect on a still image. They have a trial version and I think it's about $25 to buy.

http://www.mindworkshop.com/

Jim.

Ken, I see that Reflet does generate Ani GIFs so Peggy --original poster--would be able to use the "extract frames" method to re-create the wave movements for her PTE show. I also see that Reflet is from the folks who put out PHOTOFILTRE, an excellent graphics program in itself and definitely worth checking out...it's up there with Irfan for usability and it's also freeware. It has some great filters and is a kind of mini-mini PhotoShop, minus the learning curve.

Jim.