WnSoft Forums

Need help, please!

hagmancc

Please, will someone, please, help me?

I have a website www.hagmanphoto-graphicart.com

Have recently completed two slideshows which I have on CD's and both run fine. I've been unable to load them to my website, however. I tried using the exe extention, as well as a zipped file, and a pte extension. None of them are working.

I'm creating my web pages in Frontpage 2003 where I do to "Insert Web Component" then "Advanced Controls" and "plug in." From there I find the show with the browser, save the page and upload it to my site using Dreamhost. Dreamhost has assured me that it's not a problem with their system (naturally) and I'm running out of things to try.

Would be happy if someone could just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Connie

hagman@aol.com

Website is www.hagmanphoto-graphicart.com

Thanks again!

Connie,

PTE won't run directly from the web page (it has to be installed in your pc first, either downloaded and saved on the HD or temporarily installed using the "run" option). First, though, the "exe" file has to be saved on your web-page server. To do this don't use the plugin option in FP. Simply upload the exe file (or, preferably, a "zipped" exe file) to your web site using an FTP program such as the ones guru mentioned, and then put a link on one of the pages directly to the file name itself.

Another good FTP program is WS_FTP98 LE. You'll have to search for it with your favourite search engine.

• 6 months later...

Hi Alrabin,

I know this is waaaaay old, but I have the same problem, I have the pte slide show on my hard drive in an exe format now how do I go about uplaoding to Angelfire thats what I use and link so otherc can see, such as click on a hyperlink??? I am very very new to pte like 1 day new :-)

Connie,

Welcome.

You can upload your presentation to my site if that would be of any help. Others will be able to downoload it from there. Please ensure that your presentation has been zipped. Just follow the "PTE Upload Guidelines" before beginning your upload session. The upload link is listed below.

Regards,

Bill

Please, will someone, please, help me?

I have a website www.hagmanphoto-graphicart.com

Have recently completed two slideshows which I have on CD's and both run fine. I've been unable to load them to my website, however. I tried using the exe extention, as well as a zipped file, and a pte extension. None of them are working.

I'm creating my web pages in Frontpage 2003 where I do to "Insert Web Component" then "Advanced Controls" and "plug in." From there I find the show with the browser, save the page and upload it to my site using Dreamhost. Dreamhost has assured me that it's not a problem with their system (naturally) and I'm running out of things to try.

Would be happy if someone could just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Connie

hagman@aol.com

Website is www.hagmanphoto-graphicart.com

Thanks again!

Connie,

The bottom line is you can't run a P2E slideshow from the web as it is. That is neither an executable nor DVD slideshow will run on the web. The user can download the slideshow and run it on their computer or you can convert the code to Flash or something amenable to the web and then anyone can run it from the web.

Converting to Flash or other web specific formats such at html is not all that difficult but you do need some instruction and some amenable software. Full sized executable slideshows with large images have too much overhead for web use because it takes too much memory and too fast a broadband for ordinary PC use.

If you want to email me I will give you some suggestions as to how this can be done. P2E can create an AVI file which can be easily converted with inexpensive software and run as a streaming type file where a buffer is set up and the slideshow is spooled out to the hard disk of the user a little at a time and is actually run from their hard disk though it appears as though it's running from the web. True streaming takes expensive and specialized server side software and is really only feasible for commercial enterprises. You can create a very nice slideshow which can be placed on the web and accessed by anyone who has Flash enabled on their computer (which is about any PC or MacIntosh computer).

Lin

data2@mesanetworks.net

Hi Alrabin,

I know this is waaaaay old, but I have the same problem, I have the pte slide show on my hard drive in an exe format now how do I go about uplaoding to Angelfire thats what I use and link so otherc can see, such as click on a hyperlink??? I am very very new to pte like 1 day new :-)

Mysty,

Please read my response to Connie - same issue applies for you. To run a slideshow created in P2E on the web it must be converted into a web friendly format. There are several ways to do it, but the least expensive is Flash and you can purchase everything you need to make your P2E slideshow available on the web for very little. Email me and I'll be glad to tell you exactly what you you need to make this happen. It takes a little work but it's not difficult to do and I'll be glad to assist you and explain in detail.

Lin

data2@mesanetworks.net

• 1 month later...

Hi Alrabin,

Who, me? :blink: Sorry, Mysty, I didn't see your question until now as I was away on vacation for a few weeks and am still reviewing past posts on the forum.

You post a PTE file on your web site just like you post a jpeg image for one of the pages, or, indeed, the page "htm" file, itself. If you are using FrontPage, just click on the PTE file name in Win Explorer, and "drag and drop" it over to the list of files on the file list on the left-hand side of the FrontPage window. Then use whatever FTP program you use for uploading htm files and jpegs (or even the FTP capability of Internet Explorer, itself, if your Web host allows it - mine does) to upload the "exe" file to your host's web server. In order for someone to find the file there, you will also need a hyperlink to some text or an image on one of the web pages, just like you would create a link to a favourite website, except all you need is the name of the exe file (and it's associated folder name, if any, too, of course).

Here's a tip - it's best to "wrap" your exe file in a "zipped" file first, and upload that, as some people have problems downloading bare "exe" files.

This will set up your slideshow so someone can download it and run it on their own pc. Now, if you want it to run directly from the server without downloading, in "streaming video" fashion, you need to follow Lin's excellent advice.

By the way, Lin, I purchased "Riva" today and am looking forward to trying it out. I believe ProShow has a streaming video capability built in, but I prefer to use PTE.

Hope this helps.