WnSoft Forums

Need help here...

brother42

I have major glithes in the transitionspreview on the customized syncwindow. It is'nt smooth at all and defenetly not smooth enough to call it preview.

When i play the music to try to sync the pictures on the timeline the transitioneffects, (i only use fade), in the little previewwindow doesn't keep up with the music... they are'nt loaded fast enough or something... Does anyone else has this problem? I use jpg filesizes around 300-500kb... Is that too large? Noticed right now that a 100kb picture didn't have this problem...

Welcome to the forum !!!!

I only use FADE as well, I use PTE as it has the best FADE I could find for digital slide shows.

I think you likely have a couple of "problems"

The FADE is very taxing on CPU processing, you need a relatively new computer (minimum P3, 256 RAM, etc) for it to work well

The file size of 300-500kb sounds a bit large, but to me just as crucial is the image size. 800x600 fades beautifully on my computer, if I take the same file size, but make it a 1200x900 image, the fade shutters badly.(depending on the transition time-see below) My files are 800x600 at 150-200kb (Quality 5 jpgs from PhotoShop)

The transition time you are asking the FADE to run in is a factor as well. I can run a fade at any speed on a 800x600 file and it is OK, but others with less powerful computers find they need to extend the transition time to 3-5 seconds to get it smooth.

It also sounds as though you might have some of the transitions too close to each other. You need to allow the transition to completely finsih and then give it a fraction of a second longer, before transtioning the next image in.

If you are using PTE 4.0beta, there is a grey marking along the custom synch timeline that shows you the transition timing vis a vis the on-screen times.

Alrobin's excel utility See (http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=201) on page two of the forum-look for the heart can also help you with the timing issues.

Hope that all helps

Jim

Hello and thank you for your answers!

My computer should do, It's a PIII 450Mhz with a 32 Mb Geforce 3D-card and 384 Mb memory.

The transitions are not too close to each other. I use the new beta and see the grey transition times on the timeline! (Geat feature I must say!)

The fading in the finished show is not a problem though I also see a diffrence when extending the transitiontime a couple of seconds... No the problem lies in the syncwindow where you see a little thumbnailpreview of the show. I would like it to look as the real show but as I said the transitions here are not good... It's hard to explain... When music is played and the little blue arrow goes along the timeline and then reaches a grey marking - transition - it stops for a second, while music is still playing, and then jumps forward to the right place in the music, giving that it also skips the beginning of the animated transition on the thumbnailpreveiw. It is very frustrating not seeing exactly when the transition starts. I know the time it starts, but it is hard to sync it perfectly when it is'nt visible...

As I said, it's not a problem in fullscreen preview so the one thing I'm waiting for, as many others, is fullscreen preview from a specified point in a synced show!

I'm not sure this has something to do with my filesizes either. As I rezized the images to 100-150 kb The problem was still there... strange... ;)

Welcome to the forum, Brother,

I've noticed that little pause while the timeline is running, too, but haven't taken time out to analyze it. For me it's not a big issue, since I use the small preview only as an indicator of the results, and as a means to specify to the program where to put the transition points. I use the "preview" mode from the main window to test the show itself, in a larger view, so I can see better just how well the show will perform when it has to handle the larger images. I'm using a Celeron, 400 Mhz, & Win ME, with 750 Mb RAM, and a "Voodoo 3000" video card with 32 Mb of VRAM. Running with images no larger than 800 x 600 is generally quite smooth for most transitions at least 2 sec in length.

Would the fact that PTE has to resize the images in order to display them in the small preview window cause it to run less smoothly in preview mode in the synch window and pause momentarily while it is performing the sizing algorithm?

I notice on my SysMon that with one of my shows, processor usage goes from 40% to 60% whenever there's a transition point, when using fades. I don't have any other program open, but if there were other programs open, for instance, or if there were fewer resources available and the PTE program was on the verge of encountering delays, the operation could become choppy.

Ciao,

Al

Like Al I have not taken too much cognizance of the fades in the images above the timeline other than from a general point of view, useful as they are. However I thought I had better have a look at one of my sequences using "customize synchronisation" to check. There was no jolt in any of the transitions. As soon as the arrow reached the transition point the thumbnail image started the transition. Using Pentium 4 1.4 Ghz; 20Gb HD; 128Mb RAM; and ME OS.

Ron [uK]