WnSoft Forums

Slideshow Music

djay

The two soluces are very good: Ogg is free and with the same bitrate take a little less size.

If you want a superb quality (with MP3 or Ogg), please use it with a good bitrate.

Mp3, 256 kbts = Ogg, 192 kbts

But if you want keep small your slide show (postcard), it would be better to use Ogg 96 kbts or 64 kbts.

If you want the high quality, keep the original sound: wav or MP3-Ogg with a high bitrate.

I have just been reading the help file of Audacity and apparently Ogg Vorbis does not let you set a bitrate because some audio clips are easier to compress than others. but I now know how to do it for Mp3. Anyway, thanks very much, I think I understand it a little better now.

Diane

Michel

As a matter of interest what bitrate do you use for the backing of your excellent presentations. For a 3'48" piece of music originally with a bitrate of 117 kbps the file size is 3.20 Mb, increasing the bitrate to 192 the file size is then 5.26 Mb. Whilst my hearing is not acute, I do detect a smoother playback with the latter, but is it essential for our "public" presentations I wonder?

Ron [uK]

Sound Quality

Hi - Ron,Michel,DJay.

(a)

Sound quality is a very 'subjective experience' depending as it does on the quality of your

'Sound Reproduction System' - Room Acoustics - Fill Factor - Ambient Noise - Hearing quality.

(B)

If the sound is MP3 you really need the best 'Encoder/Decoder' available. A good general

Codec is the 'Lame Product' but I personally prefer the 'Fraundorfer because its' devoid of

an annoying 'sibilance' which can be heard from most Codec's with Hi-Quality Speakers.

( c)

I also use 'Audio Recorder Pro II' @ FM.Radio Quality 20-22050Hz 96 kkbps. CBR Stereo.

That's one step down from CD-Disc quality, and heavens above, does one really want sound

reproduction better than BBC.Radio1. FM quality - through "Quad Electrostatic Speakers" ?

(d)

It's my personal opinion that 'excessive audio-bandwidth' really stretches the PC.Processor's

to their limits when managing the normal "Run-of- the Mill Sound Cards" installed in most of the

common Desktop PC's. Those limits are very easily reached and is it necessary when one

considers the limitations in (a) above ?

If you really want to push out the Audio Boat, you would need a Sound Card something like:-

"Creative Sound Labs 5.1 Dolby -with- Midi Inputs". (Today most sound cards don't have Midi)

Thats my contribution for what it's worth and I think 'Ron' has asked a very valid question ?

Brian.Conflow.

For Ogg, if we use a 10 mb wav file and with Audacity:

quality 10 = 500 kbps = 2,73 mb

quality 9 = 320 kbps = 1,94mb

quality 8 = 256 kbps = 1.51mb

quality 7 = 224 kbps = 1.32mb

quality 6 = 192 kbps = 1.15mb

quality 5 = 160 kbps = 1mb

quality 4 = 128 kbps = 0,8 mb

quality 3 = 112 kbps = 0,71 mb

quality 2 = 96 kbps = 0,57 mb

quality 1 = 80 kbps = 0,5 mb

quality 0 = 64 kbps = 0,4 mb

For my last slide show, I used the quality 4, very good. But we can hear the difference/kbps only if we have very good hi-fi speakers, with also very good sound card.

If I burn a DVD, I use the quality 10 because my TV can work with my HI-Fi system.

By other example, for "the light of the world", the original arranged soundtrack is a 47mb wave file: I used here Ogg quality 4 for near 3,75mb.