WnSoft Forums

DVDs play back on only some players

BrianRoden

Several months ago I used ULEAD DVD MovieFactory Disc Creator 3 trial to make a DVD from a PTE presentation. Worked great. Well, the trial period expired in January, and I now need to create some more DVDs from my PTE shows. So I went to Best buy and got the Disc Creator 3 full version. The DVDs will play back on the PC I created them on and on a cheapo $35 DVD player from Sears, but will not play back on my other PC's DVD drive or on my Sansui DVD/VCR combo. The Sansui tries to start but then comes up with a "Check disc" message.

I have tried both having the ULEAD output option checked and unchecked, and even changed the PTE project from full screen to a fixed window (thinking maybe it was outputting an AVI at full screen resolution, which is much larger than regular digital video dimensions).

I tried installing ULEAD on the second PC that has a DVD burner (where we successfully burn DVD videos from Pinacle Studio 9 for video coverage we sometimes do), then copying the AVI file to the other PC after it is created, but when I try to add it to the ULEAD project on the other computer, it says it can't be accessed.

I may be forced to recreate the slideshow using ULEAD's slide show option, though I really don't want to go through that much work. But clients have earned these preview DVDs my reaching a bonus level, so I have to produce them somehow.

Brian,

I'm no expert but I have a view that may be of some value in resolving your problem, however, I do not wish to insult your intelligence by stating what you may consider to be the obvious.

I presume you know of the different formats of DVD disks and that some machines (new machines) can play almost all variants, whilst the older generation machines are somewhat more choosy. How old are the two machines that you have tried?

I too experienced similar problems to yours and seem to have overcome the "rejected" disk syndrome by using different software. Recently I purchased Sonic's "My DVD Studio Deluxe" and have managed to play the (newly recorded) disks in my machines that previously returned error messages.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trev C

Same brand media I used during the trial period, and same DVD burner. I have tried Imation and Memorex DVD+R discs.

I did some checking over on ULEAD's support forum, and there are some patches available (which may have been rolled up into the trial I downloaded, but not included in the box version I got at Best Buy). I can't believe I didn't think to check for patches immediately after installing DVDMF. I work in IT, and the first thing I do with a new PC is run Windows update, so I should have thought to check for updates before even trying to use the product.

I'm going to run by the house at lunch and install the patches and see what that does.