WnSoft Forums

My P2E has died!

speedy2

My P2E has refused to run! It cannot even be started from an icon/shortcut, or from wnsoft\apr.exe - a notice appears immediately with "File Access Denied".

I CAN run the "Help" for what its worth, but any attempt to access any options reports report an :-

Access Violation at Address 004B92EB, or 00537449 or 0055D4A9 etc in Module "APR.EXE".Read of Address FFFFFFFF.

I'm running a 1GHz P3 with Win98SE having 512Mb ram.

I've thought of uninstalling the prog, and reinstalling, but then It will have lost its licence! Of course, I can't refer to the licence code as I can't run the programme.... catch22

I've reported this to support, but so far, as its Easter, not had any reply.

speedy2

Speedy

welcome to the forum

if you installed your license properly - double clicked the reg file it is now in your registry

so make sure you have saved the original file c/w the covering letter when you purchased it - put on a couple floppies -- make sure you can read the floppies and uninstall reinstall the program

the support team are in Russia so there may be a time difference

ken

1) Try to completely uninstall old version and install newest version 4.40.

2) Please check up your PC with ScanDisc and with some antivirus software.

Most likely when PTE doesn't start, it means that the program file is damaged.

>if you installed your license properly - double clicked the reg file it is now in your registry

I'll try this - thanks!

>so make sure you have saved the original file c/w the covering letter when you purchased it - put on a >couple floppies -- make sure you can read the floppies and uninstall reinstall the program

Too late! The email got deleted back last year. :(

I'll take a look at the registry and then try and update to the new version.

speedy2

>1) Try to completely uninstall old version and install newest version 4.40.

Wiil uninstall remove the existing Registry keys, and presumably, my licence?

Will this mean I have to buy it all over again, and will it mean I lose any projects etc that are still in it?

>2) Please check up your PC with ScanDisc and with some antivirus software.

The antivirus is updated and run daily. Scandisk doesn't work properly nowadays - I think it is damaged itself! It reports errors on one partition but cannot deal with them.

>Most likely when PTE doesn't start, it means that the program file is damaged.

Highly likely, but I cannot do anything about that - P2E is on the partition with problems. I have been recommended NOT to use the win98 defrag by the Univerity Computing service.

So, how do I upgrade without loss of data, or money?!

Well, that was a waste of time! I uninstalled the 4.31 version, downloaded the 4.40 one, unzipped it, and installed it. It reported that the old apr.exe was STILL there! I told it to over-write it, and it completed. The programme refuses to start - "ACCESS DENIED"

This is where I was before.

Things have now become infniitely worse.

I cannot uninstall this 4.40 version.

If I try to get the programme unisntalled, all I get is :-

cannot copy d:\wnsoft\uninstall.exe to c:\windows\temp\gunist.exe

This is utterly insane so I've deleted the whole darned set of files. I've also deleted everything referring to them in the registry.

I wish I'd never bought this wretched software.

Scandisk doesn't work properly nowadays - I think it is damaged itself! It reports errors on one partition but cannot deal with them.
P2E is on the partition with problems. I have been recommended NOT to use the win98 defrag by the Univerity Computing service.
I wish I'd never bought this wretched software.

the software did not make a bad partition

why dont you get the University Computing services to help get you out of the mess -- --quite likely P2e is in the damaged portion of the drive and you are just making things worse -- i would seriously consider taking the drive to somebody that can ghost it to a new drive -- next thing you will have lost your term papers

ken

From all that's been said above, relating to your 'problem' with PicturesToExe, it sounds to me like your hard-drive is just about to give up the ghost -- and if you have any important data saved on it you want to be doing something about backing-up that data NOW,,, before it's too late !!

The problems you have been experiencing are ALMOST CERTAINLY hard-drive related, and not as a consequence of PicturesToExe having been installed on your computer. The early warnings of pending disaster, such as you've described, tend not to last too long before everything goes toes-up,,, so act NOW so as not too lose any irreplaceable data / files / documents / email addresses / images etc.

If I'm wrong, then backing up your important data won't be such a bad thing ~~ but I've encountered what you've described (and/or similar) on more than one occasion ~~ I run nine separate hard-drives and have had to replace three in the last eighteen months,,, all of which gave out similar 'warning signs' before (very quicky) dying forever.

PictureToExe is (as you will hopefully soon find out) a superb program that does what it sets out to do with great style and ease ~ undoubtedly the best software of it's type available ~ I suggest you re-install it once you have your hard-drive problem sorted out (with a new drive ?) and then you'll be able to discover for yourself why we all rate it so highly.

bjc

Thank you to all for your suggestions. I was totally despairing.

1. I've manually deleted everything relating to wnsoft and p2e.

2. I've manually edited the registry to remove refernces to the same.

3. Disconnected from the router.

4. Rebooted.

5. Switched off virtually everything except Explorer (!)

6. I've defragged the D:\ partition.

7. Rebooted.

8. Checked again for any more wnsoft & P2E references - found & deleted 3 more!

9. Unzipped yet again the 4.40 zip file.

10. Ran setup - this time for the C:\drive - and it worked!

I still don't think the uninstall is a workable thing - it may do for XP, but it didn't for 98SE. It SAID it had uninstalled, but that was not true - it left nearly the whole programme, folder, icon, etc, in-situ. I suspect it may not be able to cope with a programme installation that is NOT in the C:\ drive, but in a multi-partitioned drive.

I cannot rely on the UOB Computing Service for much now, as I have been retired for some years now.

I DID have some trouble a while back with not being able to defrag the D:\partition - all the others defragged OK, but scandisk did report a problem. The CS suggested what I'd already decided to do - copy the D:\ onto a couple of CDs, wipe the partition clean, reformat it, and reload the software, and it worked perfectly, as did the defrag just now.

This Maxtor hard drive is only about 3 years old, and I think most problems come from Windows itself, not coping with too many applications being run one after another. It just doesn't release memory etc, and so runs out of resources, then starts to fall over.

Is anyone going to write Pix2Exe for linux - PLEASE? I sick of Microshaft......

I'm typing this on a machine running the same version of windows as you - PTE works fine on this machine.

IMHO your problems are specific to your machine - it sounds as though it needs some TLC from an expert.

'98 Problems

We are running 3 x '98 PCsin our Workshops for the past 5 years and we have gotten

to know their faults and favours - so for what its worth, here goes:-

a) Properly set-up '98s are very fast, indeed, about 3 times faster than this New 2000Pro

I am now using.

B) '98 don't like 'partitioned HD-Drives' - they never did nor ever will, for the reason that

each 'partition' is treated as a seperate Computer and it has to allocate a certain amount

of User RAM to run that Computer. If that 'Assigned RAM' is used up it can not get access

to the 'partioned section' neither can it Scan-Disc it nor Defrag it - they both use RAM.

c) Its the reason we have to use "Free-Ram Lite" in order to keep the 'User Ram' open -

If you don't use such a utility the PC will eventually "freeze" - then its to late.

d) '98s are highly susceptable to 'Internet Bugs' for the reason that the Dos Bios System

is electrically connected to the 'Operating System' unlike XP's and 2000 which have very

different architectures. That was our downfall last week when we got "wiped out" with a

new variant of 'CoolwebSearch with Trojan' - This despite our HardWare Firewall, XoftSpy

and Norton and F-Plot, the latter being the one used by 'Blue Chip' Companies.

The parasite wiped out all 3 PCs' including Norton,F-Plot but XoftSpy withstood the attack.

e) When '98 flags' an 'Access Violation' it's usually out of User memory - believe me I know !

Re-Booting will not clear the User Ram for the reason that the Registry 'Root Classes'

has a reference to 'File of Types' in your case the Pte Program which was in dynamic active

mode when the 'User Ram' failed to compute - so it simply locked on to what was there as

its designed to do.

Other PCs like XP and 2000 will provide extra 'virtual memory' on the HD so you can proceed

with your work - '98 does not have that feature - it simply locks up.

Hope this is of some help - you really need a 'Ram Utility Cleaner' when when running '98s

to the limit.

Brian.Conflow

P.S We have restored our '98s back to mint condition - without Internet Explorer and OE.6.

Our New 2000 is now running the new 'Microsoft Beta AntiSpyware Program' (its free) but

not suitable for '98.