WnSoft Forums

Digital projectors

Ronniebootwest

I want to buy a projector that will display my slide shows and presentations on to a screen that will be about 10ft to 12ft sqare. The resolution of my laptop will be set to 1024 x 768 and my presentations vis Pictures to exe will also be 1024x768.

I do not want to spend an arm and a leg on this projector but I do want sufficient brightness to make the images look good. So can anyone offer any advice about model, price etc.?

Ron

On the link given by DaveG the PLUS U3-1080 is listed. This is the unit used on the Royale Projection System, the equipment used in the UK at the International and National Festivals. See my website for the specification of my Royale.

Ron [uK]

Some time ago I wrote about my new projector Mitsubishi XD450U. That I am very satisfied with. I frequently give lectures on cruiselines all with photographs and have until now used slides since I am very particular about colors being true. I have tried a number of projectors but never been satisfied until now. This one is good. I use the srgb setting and it shows the photos very well.It has a lot of lumens and in the ship's large dark theatre I use the lower power setting which means a lamp life of 5000 hours or so. The price I found very reasonable at around $2500. Curt Carnemark

Thanks for the advice so far, I appreciate it!

Now what about some of the 'techie' stuff? If I have a projector with a native resolution of 800x600 pixels (The Epson EMP53) and I feed a PTE slide show made on a computer with resolution of 1024x768 pixels - what will be the likely result. Will the projected image be sharp or fuzzy? I cannot see any virtue in reducing my slide show resolution to meet the 800x600 size. Would it be better to buy a projector with higher resolution in the first place? I must point out that I only want to be able to project to a screen size of around 8 ft.

Ron

Ron,

You need a 1024x768 or bigger but the price goes up disproportionately when you go to the next level.

If at all possible make sure that the res of your computer matches the projector res and try to avoid a widescreen laptop. This topic has been discussed before but I can't remember exactly when.

DaveG

Hi Ron

I just purchsed 4 days ago a ACER PD113 from DABS for £468 ($750) plus delivery. I am still testing (playing!) with it. I noted all the points that were said about projectors in a prior thread and I am computer savvy so I know what one should really get but there is no way I could justify large amounts of money so price was my guiding factor. However the Acer I find is ideal for me, even though its native resolution is only 800*600, it compresses 1024*768 for projection but the results are excellrnt for me. I have it about 3.5 metres from the wall (behind it are 3 kodak Carousel 35mm projectors, the picture size is just under 2 metres and I can change pictures type and sizes. I have been working through members shows from Beechbrook and I am really pleased, the Masia show from last week is really stunning on the large screen. Also I have seen my own Fields of Fire projected in digital form and it still makes me feel lkie it did 20 years on first showing with the Carousels. It has a 1.2 zoom lens, 1600 lumens and an economy mode which gives 3000 hours life, by which time the prices of better projectors will have come down and it will not be worth while to buy a new lamp, so this is an experiment to see the quality and the pleasure of large screen viewing at a moderate cost. The only really bad point is that it does not have a pass through loop so you can use both PC and projector together. If you have 2 monitor outputs on your graphics card this is no problem, alternatively one can gry SGA splitters that no not degrade the signal for £25. Just a quick guide for you Ron.

Mike

Mersea Island, England

Hello Mike, Thanks for that walk thru your recent purchase. I had not considered the Acer, to be totally honest, I had not heard the name before. I am in a similar position as you in that I do not want to spend loads of money on a projector that will just be used in the home. I am looking at Epson at the moment (secondhand) and my choices are between the EMP53 and the EMP74 - the difference being the resolution. the 53 has standard svga (800x600) while the 74 boasts vga (1024x768). I was interested to note that your projector is 800x600 yet you still use 1024x768 on your shows. Do you lose much in the way of sharpness and contrast when the images are 'scaled' down?

It might be that I should go for the larger VGA to begin with I guess. What do you all think.

Ron