WnSoft Forums

Embed .pte file...

Lin Evans

I had a situation arise where I needed to revise a slideshow created for a customer a few years ago on P2E. The .pte file has long since been discarded so to do this I had to dig up the original photos and start from scratch.

This led me to wonder if it were possible to embed the .pte file in the executable in such a way that it could be recovered by some "switch" filename.exe/recoverpte or something similar. This would make it much easier to re-create then modify the show because all relative information would be permanently embedded in the executable???

Lin

Hey, Lin, that's not a bad idea!

It shouldn't be too difficult for Igor to implement, either. It could be set up under password control, as a checked option, and perhaps it wouldn't be be to much more of a stretch to be able to instruct the executable to produce the original photos without significantly adding to the size of the .exe file, since they are embedded in it anyway. :)

I think Granot's method uses a screen-capture procedure, doesn't it?

Yes, Granot's program is essentially a screen capture utility which captures the screen content and gives each image slide sequential names, but this won't help with all the information contained in the pte file.

The utility for this type information would be very helpful because it would contain all transition effects, timings, paths to files, etc. I can see lots of situations where this would be incredibly useful and if offered as an optional choice when creating the executable there would be no down side....

Lin

Embedded Files in PTE

Lin, Al & Jim.

Hi All,

There is a very simple way of doing what Lin requires,viz:-

1)

When you complete your Show and make your 'Master Exe' simply go to...File (top LH.Corner)and select Templates, now make a Template and give it a name - this will be stored in the Main PTE Folder.

2)

When you Burn your CD,simply open the PTE Folder and drag the Template into the Burner, it couldn't be simpler.

3)

When you open the CD you will see the Template Folder - open it...and LH.Clk on the PTE*doc and the entire Show opens up in PTE (complete with Music) ready to re-edit.

Personally I always store my Shows on CD's as Templates and make Exe's when I wish.

I hope this helps ?

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian,

That's a solution, but not the same as what I have in mind. I can copy the .pte file to a CD or DVD but that's just like putting it on the hard disk where it already resides, in other words just moving it from one storage location to another.

The point is to have the .pte embedded "with" the .exe so that anywhere the .exe file ends up it's "always" possible to extract the information for updates or changes. I don't keep copies of files for my customers and they may or may not have the CD or DVD or Zip disk or Magneto Optical media or however the file was delivered to them three or four years from now. Since the slideshow is self-contained in the .exe file, the user may have moved it a dozen times in migration from one system to another by the time I see it again. Copying the template to the distribution media just isn't a viable solution.

If the .pte file stays with the .exe file as an embedded part which can always be retrieved it will never be lost or separated.

Best regards,

Lin