WnSoft Forums

mp3's and wav files

rlowis

mp3 files are just what you need.

I wonder if there is a problem with the one you're trying to use.

if you look here:

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/royaltyfree/m1.htm

you can download some mp3s (zipped) - free - that work fine.

Why not try one of these to see if it is your music file that's the problem.

i checked closer and found out this is an mr4 file now what

Ron

Hi, Are you sure its a .MR4 file?. I use iTunes and the files are normally in .MP4 format (or .AAC)

iTunes has a built in converter but its not obvious. I have just found it and tried it.

You can NOT convert licenced music as its protected but anything else you can convert. (if it is protected, read my section B instructions below)

A

This is with iTunes V4.8.0.32 (PC). Hope fully it will work for you...

1) Run iTunes, Show the music that you want to convert

2) Goto Edit menu and select Preferences.

3) Click on the Importing tab

4) Where it shows Import Using, change the selection from the default AAC Encoder to MP3 Encoder.

5) Select a suitable bitrate and click ok.

6) Select the track you want to convert and goto the Advanced menu and select Convert selection to mp3.

B

If the music is protected then the other way to convert is to select the tracks and burn them to a CD (from within iTunes)

Then use iTunes (or Windows media player) to rip them back as mp3 files (set import Using as mp3 described above).

Ripping them back removes the licence protection, A bit of a flaw if the protection system really !

n.b.) If the mp3 option is not there then you may need to install a mp3 encoder, I have one already installed on my pc so not sure if the mp3 option would not be there if you didn't. If you need an mp3 encoder then there is a FREE one which works great from lame.

Download it here Lame mp3 encoder

Hope this is of use to you if not, let me know

Andy B)

Hi There,

There is a much simpler way of doing this for all 'Forms of Music Sources' ~

1) Purchase a 3.5mm Stereo Minijack to Stereo Minijack Lead from any Hi-Fi Store.

2) Connect the Earphone Output Socket of the device to the Line Input of your PC.

3) Record the 'Playing Sound' with the PCs' Win Recorder or record with Audacity Sound Editor.

4) Export the Sound Recording from Audacity as an MP3 File to any Folder on your PC.

I record 'Live Sounds' on my 'Sony GX-400 Stereo Walkman' and my 'Pro-Aiwa' and a CD-Player

and replay all Sounds into the Line Input of my PC and pick them up with Audacity.

No problems,works great,and I can also use the 'Pause & Tone Controls' on all Players which are

extremely useful Mechanical Editing facilities.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian

Whilst we are on the subject, I have a problem to which you may have the answer. I have a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS sound card installed on my system but it does not have a Iine-in socket, only a mic-in. How can I playback recordings from my Sony MZ-N710 MiniDisc Recorder? Can I plug into the mic input with suitable "adjustments"?

What I would like really is a reader for the MD (mini-disk) which I could plug into a USB2 port, but Sony tells me that there is no such animal.

Thanks by the way for all the useful information and advice which you contribute to this forum.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron,

Possible answer:

Most Mini-Disc Player/Recorders have an optical output. (My Sony has).

Edirol (Roland) make an Optical to USB adaptor which I use to transfer audio from my Mini Disc or my 16 track to my computer keeping everything in the digital domain and with no impedance matching problems.

I then use either Roxio 7 or Audacity to create MP3 files of whatever compression ratio suits the audio.

I hope that is of some help?

Dave G

Thanks Dave

This may have given me the answer when I have time to try it. My Sony has a USB connecting jack covered with a rubber shield and there is also a dedicated USB cable. Although I have had the recorder for about a year and I have asked questions at the Sony Shop, I had shelved making progress in recording sound effects etc.

In the meantime I will wait and see what Brian has to say. What microphone do you use? I was interested in what Andrew Buust had to say recently about his mock headphone mike.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron

If your mini disc recorder already has a USB port, you should be able to connect it to your PC and use the Sony Sonic Stage software to transfer the files. This also allows you to convert the files to standard audoi formats like .wav and .mp3.

See Sony website for details and current downloads http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/SonicS...cStage/SS31.asp

Ian

To:- Ron (UK)

Hi Ron,

Both Dave and Ian came from the same direction as I would have come from !.....

As far as I know Sony made a range of 'Mini-Disc Products' with various features. As I don't know what Model you have, you need to examine the Connector Sockets to identify the 'use features' of each ~ if you have an Optical Port you are home and dry

otherwise its back to using the Headphone Socket as an output.

Concerning the Inputs on your PC ? Apart altogether from your Sound Card virtually all PC Motherboards have 'Line-In'...'Line-Out'...'Mic-In'...'Modem'...'USBs' and..'Network Connector' as Standard Features. Have another look and see if they are there ?

If they are missing and you only have a 'Mic-In' on the Sound Card you will need an 'Attenuator' to handle Line Input Levels.

Unfortunately most Mic Inputs are 'Mono Sound' - can you verify if this is the case on your Sound Card ?...If its Stereo we can do something about it, if its Mono only' its not worth the additional costs of an Attenuator.

Brian.Conflow.

2 Reply to Ron (UK)

Ron, I just looked at your Post again and noted that you are using the 'Audigy 2ZS Sound Card' ~ is the the 'Plug-In Version' or the 'External Module Version' ??... In both cases you need to check to see if the Mic-Input is 'Stereo'....I don't think it is, as this particular Card is used for Karoke usage and Surround Sound. Let me know...

Brian.Conflow.

Dave, Ian & Brian

Sorry my initial thread was written from memory of the problem I had twelve months ago and my shelving of recording sound effects and anno domini has played its tricks. Looking further my problem was the Sony MZ-NZ10 not having a Line-out socket and not my soundcard which does have a Line-in. So it looks as though the USB link is the way forward.

My sound card is internal and not the Platinum version of the Audigy 2ZS. It is not clear whether or not the Mic-input is stereo.

Thanks everyone.

Ron [uK]

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested to lrearn about all experiences with recording with a microphone, using the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (this is the external box type) I have just had one installed on my computer and now find that I cannot record 'voice' at all well. There seems to be 2 problems,

1. When I use the mike socket on the front panel, I have to turn up the gain to almost maximum.

2. When I plug into either of the two 'line inputs' I get a terrible hum from the speakers. I have checked the obvious, i.e grounding of the connected equipment and still the hum persists. I never had this problem with my previous card which was the first Audigy 2 that was released.

While on this subject, can I ask for advice on the make of 'mike' (headset type) I should buy for this new card. I don't mind paying the price for a 'good' one.

Ron West

• 3 weeks later...

If it is of any help to anybody, I have just bought a Creative MP3+ USB external sound card. This has both line-in and line-out phono (RCA) connectors, mic-in and headphone out with volume control. I have been using it to record MP3 files from vinyl and tape onto a laptop which only has a mic-in facility. The accompanying software allws you to choose the bit rate etc, and it has a simple wave editor. For £35 it's been great.

Tillman

http://www.tkimages.co.uk