WnSoft Forums

Resolution loss when converted to AVI

phillcoe

Hi All

I am preparing a presentation for a client that wants to have it run on a loop from their DVD player. I burnt a test presentation to a CD yesterday, which seems to work OK, however the resolution of the images is unacceptably low. They were saved at 120 DPI, level 8 quality JPG's and look fine if I run the show as an EXE on the PC.

Does anyone know how I can get around this problem? Are the files being compressed when the exe is converted to AVI?

All help gratefully received as ever.

Best regards.

Phill

the resolution of the images is unacceptably low, look fine if I run the show as an EXE on the PC.

Are the files being compressed when the exe is converted to AVI?

Hi, The resolution of a DVD image is very poor compared to a PC. The absolute maximum resolution that a DVD can show is 720 x 576 pixels (PAL). When you view this on a TV you will generally loose even more pixels from around the edge of the display also DVD is a streaming media format not static like a PC.

DVD's can show static images but thats in a different mode, I imagine that P2E would have to convert its image transitions into video effects so it must be in streaming mpeg2 mode to do this.

For these resaons you have to expect poor results converting a show to a DVD.

Personally I have never tried making a DVD from my P2E shows because I know I will be upset by the quality, this is not a fault with P2E but a limitation of DVD.

As you can see DVD resolution is almost half as good as PC resolution!

Hope this helps.

Andy

www.derbyphotos.co.uk

Guest Techman1

Phil,

Are you creating this as an AVI file on a CD or as a VCD playable CD? As Chuck stated, if it's a VCD, then the quality isn't great especially compared to the Executable file. If you're creating an AVI file, then you might try a different codec for creating the AVI. There are several different types available and they are NOT all created equal.

Please advise and I'm sure someone can help on this further.

Good luck.

Fred

Hi Fred

To answer you question (or at least to try), I have created it as a SVCD so far as I couldn't seem to burn it to a DVD. It's going to be played from a DVD player and I'm just trying to improve the resolution of the 'images'. I am in Spain, as is my client, and I guess his DVD player was bought locally.

I have no real idea about the CODEC side of things I'm afraid.....

Please excuse my technical ignorance.

Best.

Phill

Guest Techman1

Phill,

What software are you using to try to burn the DVD? I take it that you have a DVD burner also then!?!?!

The quality of a DVD is "far" superior (in my opinion) than a SVCD. If you can try to burn your slideshow to a Read/Write DVD, you won't be wasting any DVD's and can test it before your final burn to DVD for your client.

Please advise on the above. Thanks!

Fred

Hi Fred

I'm using the bundled software that came with the DVD drive, it's call B's Recorder Gold. I have just tried to ise it to burn the AVI to DVD but when I look for it in the wizard of the DVD burning software it isn't there. It's pbviously looking for a different file type.

Any clues or further advice?

CHeers.

Phill

Guest Techman1

Phill,

Hello again. I don't have that software nor do I know anything about it. Maybe someone else can jump in and advise. In the meantime, here is the link to their support page and maybe you can search for an answer there:

B's Recorder Gold - Support Page

I wasn't sure what version of the software you are running, so I really couldn't look for the answer for you.

Good luck and if you don't find an answer, post additional information (version) here for someone else that might be familiar with B's Recorder Gold. Sorry I couldn't be more help at this point.

Fred

did you try importing the avi to your dvd burning software

with my nero, roxio, windvd etc software you have to have dvd selected

and a dvd blank disc in the burner drive

for the process to start doing things

got stung this morn myself with nero -- had dvd selected when i wanted to copy a cd

there are are a lot of things going on in the background so make sure everything is set right

failing that go out and buy nero 6.6 suite and your friendly computer store --my copy was $90 + 15% tax

your bundled software will be a "lite" version and wont have all the smarts of a full suite

ken

Hi All

Looks like all the advice has helped fix the problem. I bought Nero 6.6, burnt a new DVD of the AVI and the resolution looks more than acceptable, on my TV at least. So the client should be happy when he sees it tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help. Until next time......

Cheers.

Phill

• 4 years later...

I have just tried to ise it to burn the AVI to DVD but when I look for it in the wizard of the DVD burning software it isn't there. It's pbviously looking for a different file type. So I bought Nero 6.6, burnt a new DVD of the AVI and the resolution looks more than acceptable, on my TV at least.

yours,

chloe

Simulation pret