WnSoft Forums

Website statistics

Ian

Someone was asking the other day about adding a 'hit-counter' to a website.

I've been using the free service provided by Sitemeter for many years, but today I was pleasantly surprised to see that they have upgraded their service, and can now track visits by location and even display maps of where the user is situated!

I've added some demonstration images and links to my camera club site - see WCC Website Stats

There are two links to the new features beneath the graphs.

Sitemeter is available from www.sitemeter.com and the basic package is completely free. Sometimes there's a bit of a lag in updating the stats, but otherwise its great!

Ian

Hi Ian,

I was the guy asking about Web Site Counters. I did download (and install) one from another site but since reading your post about 'Site Meter' I have deleted that one and installed the free version that you have talked about. I must agree with you that this counter is good, since it not only counts the number of visitors but gives other statistics as well.

I like it! I will check it again tomorrow and see if it is working correctly - I have visited my own site 5 times since installing, but the counter has not yet incremented - guess I must wait for someone else to visit to check!

Thanks for the link.

Ron West

I've been using Sitemeter since the end of 2003 and I'm very happy with it as it is very reliable and offers many 'tracking' options. One feature which I find very nice is the possibility of not counting one's own visits because this artificially increases the number of so-called visitors to one's own website.

Thanks to Ian's post (hello Ian!), I've discovered the new 'location tracking' option.

guess I must wait for someone else to visit to check!

Ron, if you add the url of your website into your profile, this will add a button and a direct link to your site; thus we'll be encouraged to pay a visit to your website (as far as I'm concerned, I don't know where to find it :huh: )

One feature which I find very nice is the possibility of not counting one's own visits because this artificially increases the number of so-called visitors to one's own website.

Hi there! How can I access this feature and make the adjustment so that my own visits are not recorded please?

Ron

Gerard,

Thanks for that information, I have now found it and have adjusted accordingly.

One more thing that you might help me (and others) with! Is it required that this counter be set up on each page within the site or should it just be set up on the 'index hom' page?

Ron

The code has to be on every page; if not, the system can't keep trace of the pages visited, the duration of the visit, etc.; and this sort of statistics is most useful (much more than a basic counter) to know which pages are seen most or less, which are the entry and the exit pages, etc.

Of course, the counter doesn't increment for each page visited, only the first entry counts.

Hello Gerard, thankyou for helping me with this site counter on the PTE Forum.

One more question please, the position of the counter on me site (www.ronniewestdigital.co.uk) is at the very bottom of the page - I did not place it there, it just appeared by default. Is there a way to position the counter anywhere on the page myself?

I will also place this question on the Forum in case other people will want to know the answer.

Ron West

Hi Ron,

Yes, you can place the counter where you want, but you have to edit your page(s) and move all the Sitemeter code block (* see example below) to where you want.

It's relatively easy if you know well html language and/or if you have tools like Dreamweaver, WebExpert, etc.

Usually people leave the code, and thus the counter, where it is (bottom left) as it is quite discrete.

Gerard

(*) here is the start and the end of the Sitemeter code block that has to be moved :

<!--WEBBOT bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan ALT="Site Meter" -->

(...)

<!--WEBBOT bot="HTMLMarkup" Endspan -->