WnSoft Forums

Audacity--plays Midi files?

goddi

When I open an midi (using Import) and then hit the Play icon, the little black triangle moves down the music wave but I don't hear anything. This happened to the previous version and the current version. I checked all of my sound control levels and they are all set at max. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong???? I can hear mp3 and wave files but not midi.

Thanks... Gary

Found this:

"Audacity currently supports displaying MIDI files if you import them using Import MIDI in the Project menu.

Audacity does not support playing, recording, or editing MIDI files. It does not even support saving MIDI Tracks in a project file. These features are planned for a future version of Audacity, which will not be available until at least 2004.

The current functionality is useful to only a small group of people who are studying algorithms that relate MIDI data to audio data and simply wish to see the visual representation of the MIDI data and how it lines up with the audio data."

- "...until at least 2004." Hmmm...

My problemis that I have Midi song that plays fine when played outside of PTE; however, when used in PTE, the tune sort of breaks up toward the end. Not sure why PTE does this. I was hoping to just convert it to MP3--maybe that would help(?). But I have read that you really can't convert a Midi file. Given that I have had disappointing results with many 'converters', I was looking for a freeware program that would simply let me edit out the part that goes bad. Maybe I could just salvage part of the tune. Are there really any Midi to MP3 converters out there that work? I have looked and have not found one that appears to do this.

Thanks.... Gary

Gary,

There is one way of doing it which takes only the 'real time' to play the Midi. I use a good Sound Recorder called:- Audio Recorder ProV3..here is a Link......

http://www.ezaudiorecorder.com

This package can 'Record' the Midi Sound whilst you play and automatically converts it to an Mp3 or a Wav or Ogg File for you. You can also pre-set the 'Bitrate' for best quality. It does cost a few $ bucks, but there are also others from:- http://www.webattack.com some are Freeware, simply type in Audio Recorder in the 'Search Window'.

Brian.Conflow.