WnSoft Forums

Converting avi files for Flashtrax

abSuRD

Has anyone had any success with converting Pics2exe video files to run on a Flashtrax?

According to the SmartDisk website, FlashTrax supports motion JPEG (MJPEG) picture decoding, up to 320 x 240 x 30 frames/sec or 640 x 480 x 10 frames/sec. They provide a link to a tool called MJCvt which will supposedly convert some files but I've had no success with it.

Steve

Hi Steve

I have an Archos 420, and have succesfully converted PTE shows to run on it. There are probably several ways of doing it, but my method is:

1) Export the sequence as a PTE video file

2) Convert this to a VOB file with Ulead Movie Factory

3) Convert the VOB file to a DivX (various methods availabe - do a Google search)

The resulting file is an AVI, but highly compressed by the DivX codec. It plays in excellent quality on the Archos and can even be hooked up to a digital projector. If the Flashtrax can handle DivX files this should work, if not you could try converting the original PTE AVI file to Mpeg instead.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm not 100% sure of the facts here but I think, to be able to do what you suggest ("converting the original PTE AVI file to Mpeg instead"), it would have to be done in the interim stage where the AVI is still a "Temp" file.

I have tried in the past, to copy the temp file to a different location but this does not work.

Any thoughts?

DaveG

Yes that's right - the avi file that PTE exports is only viable while PTE is still open. You need to convert this temporary file into a stand-alone format first. I think Igor is developing a new method for a future release so that PTE uses its own codec, but for now the only option is to go through this conversion process.

There are several threads in the Video forum that pick up on this point and have more detailed info.

Ian

Steve

when Igor first gave us the option to make the temp avi there was a considerable amt of discussion and there were not many that had dvd burners so early attempts were vcd and svcd shows, then as more and more people got burners we graduated to dvd's

one of the pieces of 3rd party software we used was Tmpgenc to convert the avi to mpeg's -

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/download...mpgenc_412.html

- i used it and made shows into mpg's so i could play on the dvdplayer to tv and see my faults -- quite a few -- and i used cd's as i did not have a burner

since then i use winavi

http://www.winavi.com/

to convert avi's and other formats

use the forum search in this section

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

to find comments on these programs

ken