WnSoft Forums

Arrangement of pictures

fromatoz

Hi -

I am new to this forum and would like to know, how you handle this simple procedere:

- Have a collection of, let's say 100 pics, numbered from 001 to 100.

- Want to arrange them for a slideshow, that means that all of them are visible (in a kind of photo album) and that I can change their order freely to bring them in a new order (something like 004, 017, 099, 005 etc.)

- Want then to rename the pics automatically in the new order (004 > 001, 017 > 002, 099 > 003, 005 > 004 etc.)

For the moment I use "Ulead PhotoImpact Album 8" to arrange the pics. (It works well)

Then, because there is no feature to automatically rename the newly arranged pics, I write down the new filenames and change them all manually. (I feel very, very stupid.)

Until now I could not find a better / faster / simpler solution, and P2Exe doesn't seem to have this kind of feature either. But I'm sure that there must be a way to get the job done with a few clicks.

Any hints? Your suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

ThumbsPlus, a software available via the web can do most of what you ask very smoothly, except the numbering automatically. You have to re-number each one individually.

Irfanview, a free download, might be able to help you with the auto-renumbering, but maybe not as I expect it would re-number in the same sequence as the existing.

BUT, and this time it is a GOOD "but" , Alrobin is working on a beta EXCEL program that is specifically designed to work with PTE that has a "dark table" that takes the images within a PTE show, lets you re-sequence your images without changing their names, then drops them back into your PTE show in the new sequence.

See Alrobin's post of Feb 23 at 4:42pm (EST) the one with the red heart next to it.

Thank you, JRR, for your hints.

As you say, IrfanView can rename files automatically and even change the order of the files, but since I cannot view the image thumbs simultaneously like on a "light table" (or "dark table"), it doesn't really help.

Right after posting here I saw Alrobins post and checked his utility out. Exactly the thing I am looking for! Alrobin, please keep on developing this "dark table" feature. Very convenient. I wonder why there are no simliar, handy utilities available. To be honest: Just a list of image files as you have in PTE isn't helpful at all for the re-organisation and re-naming of a bunch of images. How do PTE users usually get around this - very basic - problem?

Anyway - thank you again for your help.

Thanks, Fromatoz! And thanks, Jim, for the plug. :)

I was beginning to wonder whether anyone was finding the latest addition useful. Glad you appreciate it!

I will be taking a little holiday away from programming for a while, but hope to get back to working on it and adding more features in April. Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to see.

Hi,

I am currently using ULEAD PhotoExplorer 7.0, and it does what you are looking for. It shows thumbnails in a pane, and you can drag them around to order them. Then you either select all, or a subset of the thumbnails, run the rename wizard, and presto, they're all renamed. Alrobin's solution sounds very nice. I like the way it seems to integrate to PTE files. I currently don't have Excel (I use Lotus Smartsuite) so I unfortunately can't try it out.

Grant