WnSoft Forums

About V 5.00 : a question

JPD

Just a question to Igor

Currently when PTE reads an image, this one is put in the memory of Windows in its original format, this requires in the event of second reading a new decoding when it's not in BMP's format.

I remember somebody write that in the next version, (V 5.00), PTE will put in the memory of Windows, not the image's original format but the BMP's format of the image. Is that right ?

In this case, how will work PTE with PNG's image ? Because of transparency can they be translated in BMP (32 bits) and also not need a new decoding for a second use ?

If an original image in BMP file, PTE just copies it (almost as is) to the memory of PC as a bitmap data.

If JPEG or PNG file, PTE decompresses it and also copies to the memory as a bitmap data.

Some image (for example 1024x768) may has various file size in PNG, BMP or JPEG file formats, but being loaded to the memory of PC, PTE keeps it as a bitmap data and all images with 1024x768 take same size as BMP file.

PTE decompresses PNG files directly to bitmap in memory and store as 32-bit RGBA (4 bytes per pixel). However PNG decompression is not very fast as JPEG, so it better to use PNG for text objects, buttons, and various graphical elements in a slide. And it better not to use PNG for large (1280x960) images, if you want to set short interval between slides. Of course, if you have enough time between slides (4 seconds and more) you can freely use PNGs even for large images.

- As usually use JPEGs for all slides.

- And PNG for special effects, like some slides with partial semi-translucency, text objects, buttons, borders of a slide.

Thank you Igor for your so quick answer.

There is one point that I am not sure to understand :

Some image (for example 1024x768) may has various file size in PNG, BMP or JPEG file formats, but being loaded to the memory of PC, PTE keeps it as a bitmap data and all images with 1024x768 take same size as BMP file.

If I have a view made of 4 jpg files as object for instance, does PTE will put in the memory four bitmap, one for each file or only one which would be the result of the 4 files, or both 4 + 1 bitmap.

If I ask you about that, it's because to day, with the 4.40 version, it's possible to have 10 bmp objects in a view, and mask them with another one in order we don't see these first ten objects. When doing that, these ten objects are read by PTE and put in the memory, so that it's possible to use them very very quickly in others view.

Will it be possible to do the same with the V.5.00

- With BMP ?

- with JPG ?

- with Gif

- with PNG

If yes it will be possible to do marvellous things, if not I would be very disappointed.

Then wouldn't it be better/faster to use BMP for everything?

No, please don't do it.

BMP files have large size, and they loads long time because of their large size on the disc.

Please use JPEG files.

JPD

Currently, if you add 10 copies of one JPEG/BMP/MP3 file, EXE file with slide-show includes an one copy.

But in the memory of PC, all 10 copies of one JPEG image in the some slide loaded as separated images (as they are different). In v5.00 we added optimization for it. And you can have even 100 copies of one JPEG image objects on an one slide together. And PTE has only one copy of this image loaded to the memory of PC.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour Igor,

But in the memory of PC, all 10 copies of one JPEG image in the some slide loaded as separated images

I don't agree with what I understand from this sentence (my english is poor).

With V 4.40, I made a non-synchronized slideshow with 100 BMP files (1024x768) and I use each of these 100 files 10 times in order to have a project of 1000 views, each view with a quick transition and a duration of 1 ms.

When I launch this slide if the Windows memory is empty, the first one hundred views are not so quick than the 900 other views, that mean that PTE read the files, for the 900 last slides from the memory and not from the hard disc.

The problem with 4.4 is that for JPG's files, even they are read from memory, PTE 4.4 decompress them each time they are used. I suppose it's what you mean by "loaded". Am I right ?

With the next version I understood that it's the decompressed file which will be in the memory, so it will be decompress only once, it's a very good thing.

I have a second question :

As it's enough difficult to explain, I first define what I mean when using the word "view" :

A view is the final BMP file that PTE calculate, from the differents files and informations about it.

To calculate it you must have the decompessed files of the image, those from objects if there are objects, the one of the background if a background is use, the one of the copyright logo if it is use and calculate the view in good order (first background, image, copyright, object etc), also calculate the text object if there are and may be others thing I can forget. Then you must resize the result if there is the option or if the resolution of the screen is smaller than those of the file and finally add the comment.

A few months ago I made a request in which I use the word image instead of view :

3 - When the processor doesn't work, precalculate the following images and store them in the memory so that they are available for a very fast posting

I read on a french forum that image will be decompressed and store before they are uses.

Does that mean than PTE will read, decompress and store several files (images or objects) before they are used or than PTE will read, decompress the different files of some views, store them, then calculate these views and store them also in order they are ready to be use.

If it's the second possibility, it will be possible to use duration very short, in the other possibility, it will always necessary to have enough time to calculate the view (quicker than to day)

1) If you added several objects which uses one Picture1.jpg file (in borders of an *one* slide):

- In PTE v4.44 slide-show loads several times this Picture.jpg for all these objects when this slide appears on the screen. Because slide-show think that it's different objects with different JPEG images.

- In PTE v5.00 slide-show loads only one copy of this Picture.jpg file and all those objects use this one decompressed image.

2) About loading of slides. When some slide appears on the screen, right after this moment, slide-show starts pre-loading of the next slide (decompression of Jpeg, Png, Gif images) and keep all decompressed images of the future slide in the memory. When timer says that it's time to show a new slide, PTE immediately shows this new slide to the screen. And starts pre-loading the next slide.

So there are only three possibilities to place slides more closely:

- use smaller images in smaller Jpeg file.

- use more powerful PC

- or make DVD disc.

Sorry, I have to correct my previous message.

If *unceasing* sequence of slides (e.g. from 4 to 10) contains same Picture.jpg image file (as objects, or main picture, or as background), then this image WILL NOT be loaded and decompressed every time. PTE v5.00 has smart system which uses same decompressed image in the memory.

For example, if loading of a large background image Picture.jpg for 4th slide may takes 100 milliseconds, next slides - 5, 6, 7, etc (with same Picture.jpg background) will be loaded and shown INSTANTLY (no additional delays for decompression and loading).

But if some next slide in this sequence doesn't contain this Picture.jpg, this image will be unloaded from memory.

So there are only three possibilities to place slides more closely:

- use smaller images in smaller Jpeg file.

- use more powerful PC

- or make DVD disc.

... or make DVD disc

Ah ! Why ?

I probably missed something.

Until now I thought that the best results where obtained reading a show from hard disk and not a DVD !