WnSoft Forums

Vertical vs Horizontal

What A Ride

Thanks for taking my question, This has always bothered me, It's not too difficult to reduce a landscape to 1024 x 768, but what about portrait? I usually rotate first and then resize, but I'm not really sure this id the correct ratio for portrait. Any help is appreciated..Bill ;)

Bill,

When you resize in PS all you need do is change the HEIGHT to 768.

You could set up a Batch Process to change the HEIGHT only to 768 for all images . That would then cater for both Landscape and Portrait formats.

This assumes that you have all images in the original format and that the original format is a multiple of 1024x768.

If you have a DSLR then the format is possibly 1024x681 in which case the height you set would be 681 and your images would display a black line top and bottom of your 1024x768 screen.

DaveG

When you resize in PS all you need do is change the HEIGHT to 768.

DaveG

IMHO, this is one of the disadvantages with PS. Often one is faced with a folder of images with varying aspect ratios and wishes to preserve the maximum image area while ensuring that width and height of each image are less than or equal to the optimum image dimensions of one's monitor or projector.

This is where Irfanview proves very useful as one can set both height and width at the optimum dimension and still preserve the aspect ratio of each image.

Personally, too, I find the batch process in IrfanView much more intuitive and easy to use than the actions in PS. This is just my preference, based on having to try to remember, each time I set up a batch action in PS, which of the multitude of menus at the top of the window contains the options for creating an action, and then after searching for hours (it seems), remembering that it's not in the menu where the batch command is located, but on the toolbar instead.

Also, in PS, I'm never sure what is going on with the file opening and closing process, whereas in IrfanView, one doesn't have to worry about that. Maybe I'm missing something, but, IMHO, when it comes to batch processing, IrfanView is much easier to use. :)

In Photoshop there is a very simple way to ensure that all images fit within certain limits, such as 1024x768. Create a batch Action in which you open the file, then go to File>Automate>Fit Image and enter the height and width parameters you want. Then click OK and Save As a JPG with the compression you want. Then close the file. Then run the batch, paying careful attention in the dialog box that runs the batch action to select the correct source and destination folders. This will automatically resize all images in the source folder to fit within the parameters and save them to the destination folder as a JPG.

Al,

I did emphasise the assumption that aspect ratios were multiples of 1024x768 and either Landscape or Portrait. If you are talking of other aspect ratios being mixed in with these then it becomes a little more complicated. Personally, I stick to the one aspect ratio in any one show and don't mix.

Ed,

Thanks for pointing the "Fit Image" automation out - that's great! I'll experiment with that. It couldn't be more user friendly.

I have used Ed's approach many times (with a little grumbling as I fumble to get the action set right :(:) ), but I now am using Russell Brown"s Image processer 2.3 available at

here

Scroll down the page and you'll find it. It works as a plug-in with PhotoShop

I have not tried Al's Irfanview approach, but I find Russell's easier than Ed's approach as it is all set up for me and luiddite-proof.