WnSoft Forums

Not the usual DVD burning question

Richhaas

After having waited 3 hours to burn a DVD of a couple of slide shows I would like to use a DVD recorder to make copies instead of tying up my computer. I've looked at a couple of PDF manuals and can not tell if any of these recordere set the Copyright flag so the DVD's I sell can not be copied. Is there any one here who has had experience with a recorder in this regard?

Rich,

I use a Sony HDD/ DVD Recorder to do this and I have been quite successful.

No copyright problems and the advantage is that you can fill a DVD with more than one show. If you use a DVD-RW to make the original you also save a little there and don't have the "problem" of having to keep more than one PTE show open at any time to make multi show DVDs.

The down side is that Sony units will only DUB DVDs made on SONY DVD recorders (same thing goes for Panasonic etc). The result of this is that you need a second DVD player to record onto the HDD in real time. There appears to be no quality losses.

Once onto the HDD a 60 minute DVD takes around 12 minutes to burn (and NO rejects!!).

Sorry - read your post again - you cannot set copyright on these DVDs (at least not on the Sony that I have).

DaveG

Rich

from my log files re:time to make a show

this log was on a new system - 2.8 ghz processor

my old system is 1.33 ghz - -it would take 5 hrs +- to do the same show

when you are making video you cannot be in a hurry

since this log was written, i usually make a series with Nero 6.6 suite as multiple disks can be made - very quickly because all the encoding etc is done and Nero has it stored until you exit, windvd does not give th option to redo another disk

copy protection for the average person has not to my knowledge been made

My Liteon 5005 dvd recorder has to close the disk to be used in another dvd player -- if it is not closed it will only play in the Liteon

also see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3883

for some things we have found when making shows

8:26 PM 7/2/2004

my first attempt at making a dvd direct from the p2e program notes

meant as an fyi for expected time to burn vs file size

ken

DVD TEST NOTES

USED WINDVD SUITE -- CAME WITH ASUS MOTHERBOARD

USED P2E EXISTING SHOWS -- I HAD MADE THESE SHOWS TO VCD AND SVCD FORMAT MANY TIMES AND I KNEW THEIR FAILINGS

REVISED AS NECESSARY - IMAGEs TO FULL SCREEN settings -- 95% SCREENSIZE -- SOME WERE MADE ORIGINALLY with ver 3.6 --WERE SCANNED INTO SYSTEM FROM 4X6 PRINTS, 8X10 XEROX COPIES AND 8X10 PRINTS ETC

I DID NOT ADJ THE TEXT POSITON FOR THE PICT ID SO IN SOME CASES I LOST THE TEXT AND IN OTHER CASE'S IT IS LOST IN THE PICTURE - -I WAS NOT ABOUT TO REINVENT THE WHEEL AS I WANTED TO SEE THE OUTPUT QUALITY and how the system would operate

USED P2E VER 4.3 BETA 1 AND CREATED VIDEO --default settings - INTERLACE AND SHARPNESS FILTER ON

AUTO SHOW EXE = 24.484MB - AVI 123.311 MB

AIR SHOW EXE = 9.65 MB- AVI = 73.141

CALENDAR EXE = 21.25 MB - AVI = 107.394

BRIDGE EXE = 14.5= MB - 116.500 MB

KIDS EXE =4.79 MB - AVI =23.364 MB

MOUNTAINS EXE = 11.579 MB - AVI 91.750 MB

TUGBOAT EXE = 6.106 MB AVI - 25.827 MB

TOUR EXE 3.812 MB - AVI =25.827 MB

THE ESTIMATE TOTAL FILE DVD SIZE WAS +- 3600 MB'S

TIME FOR WINDVD TO CONVERT AND BURN WAS + - 2HRS 10 MINS

SO I DONT BELIEVE I WILL BE GOING THRU THE TMPGENC GYRATIONS -- THE NEW SYSTEM IS WORKING REAL WELL FOR THIS OPERATION

VIEWED ON 13", 23", 29" AND 32" STANDARD TV'S -- THE PICTURES OF THE MOUNTAINS THAT WERE SCANNED FROM MY HASSLEBLAD DAYS ARE EXCEPTIONAL

THE OVER ALL QUALITY IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS OLD BOY :)

NOW I HAVE TO FIGGER OUT THE FANCY MENU SETTINGS IN WINDVD

excuse the capitals:))

SYSTEM

Operating System System Model

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600) To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

16 kilobyte primary memory cache

1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4P800-E Rev 1.xx

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1001.004 01/05/2004

Drives Memory Modules c,d

270.79 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

179.37 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B [CD-ROM drive]

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B [CD-ROM drive]

3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

FUJITSU MPG3307AH E SCSI Disk Device (30.74 GB) -- drive 2

GENERIC USB Storage-CFC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4

GENERIC USB Storage-MMC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5

GENERIC USB Storage-MSC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6

GENERIC USB Storage-SMC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3

WDC WD12 00JB-00CRA1 SCSI Disk Device (120.03 GB) -- drive 1

WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA8C4785163, rev 17.07W17, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB (serial number SerNum0)

Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty

Slot 'DIMM2' has 512 MB

Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 75.50 GB 61.16 GB free

d: (on drive 1) 75.50 GB 50.40 GB free

e: (on drive 0) 44.52 GB 34.06 GB free

f: (on drive 1) 44.53 GB 31.16 GB free

g: (on drive 2) 30.74 GB 2.59 GB free

1 GIG SWAP FILE ON E DRIVE

After having waited 3 hours to burn a DVD of a couple of slide shows I would like to use a DVD recorder to make copies instead of tying up my computer. I've looked at a couple of PDF manuals and can not tell if any of these recordere set the Copyright flag so the DVD's I sell can not be copied. Is there any one here who has had experience with a recorder in this regard?

This is not a direct answer to your query but may be of interest. I have created a numbe rof DVD shows from original PTE slide shows. I use Ulead Movie Factory 2 and, instead of burning directly to a DVD, I have found that a better method is to creat DVD video folders (an option in Movie factory) onto my hard drive. Then I use Nero 6 to make a DVD Video disk. Using this method seems to be faster and also allows me to add other data information to the disk, such as the show slides and copy of the .PTE and .exe program files.

Jeff Evans

There really is no way to copy protect CD's or DVD's which can't be easily broken with commonly available software. Copy protection only prevents copying by those who have no real interest in copying anyway so probably not even worth worrying about. We don't even want copy protection or country codes on our commercial slideshow CD's or DVD's because we know it will happen and want maximum flexibility for our customers.

Best regards,

Lin