WnSoft Forums

Large File

ronwil

The sequence "Sixty Five Acres...." is taking ages to download from Beechbrook. It has just reached 50% after more tha ten minutes. I have read all my outstanding posts on the Forum and added a reply to one. It will be interesting to know from the author what music format was used and what jpeg compression etc.

My interest in this stems from some of the sequences I have received for inclusion in a regional AV competition, which have presented a problem on playback by projection.

Well I have written this and download has now reached 84% and I am on superfast Broadband.

Ron [uK]

I now have viewed the sequence and I can see that each image has been painstakingly and tastefully constructed. Each I would imagine are large in kbs and might suffer with anything less. The whole sequence has been produced with great thought and dedication. Much appreciated.

Ron [uK]

That's strange Jim. I too am on cable and when a test check was arranged on this forum last year I was recording one of the fastest times and since then my connection has been upgraded to 2Gb.

Ron [uK]

I too had no problem on a DSL link. It was a little slower than with some, but still downloaded at a nominal 155 kbps, while the small file next to it downloaded at 179 kbps.

While the excellent, carefully exposed and composed images are very sharp, they do not fill the screen, and yet there was a bit of "flicker" on some transitions, so I suspect that the images may be unnecessarily large and/or very high-quality jpegs.

Ron:

I just downloaded it again. Took 10 minutes.

I tend to work away on other things while items download so I don't really pay much attention to the elapsed time. The pace can seem "fast" if I am absorbed elsewhere.

It might be that it is not resident on Beechbrook, but Bill is hosting only the link to the producer's site that has a slower connection, but my shows for which Bill does host the file, downloaded at the same rate as 65 acres

Let me offer a bit of comment with regard to download speeds and also how to tell who is hosting a presentation. First download speeds. As others have said, the speed at which a particular presentation will download depends greatly upon the traffic already being handled by the various ISP's and servers involved with the relay of this information. More on this later... as for whether or not I (beechbrook.com) host a particular presentation, or merely provide a link to another location, can be seen just after you select any of the download links. Before you click SAVE to download the show to your PC, read the popup screen. On Internet Explorer you should see "File Name", "File Type" and "From". Look at the "From" field. It will show where the file is actually coming from. If it's Beechbrook.Com, I am hosting the show, otherwise it will show the server name or address that is hosting the show.

Now a further comment with regard to download speeds... Some forum members host their own presentations on their own servers. These servers can be as simple as a spare PC hooked up to a standard DSL line. Other personal servers may offer more features and speeds. Obviously speeds will vary from these type servers and their big brother counterparts running at T3 speeds.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bill

• 1 month later...

While the excellent, carefully exposed and composed images are very sharp, they do not fill the screen, and yet there was a bit of "flicker" on some transitions, so I suspect that the images may be unnecessarily large and/or very high-quality jpegs.

Al or anyone can you suggest a minimal jpg file size for good presentation on DVD?

Thanks!

Al or anyone can you suggest a minimal jpg file size for good presentation on DVD?

Dan,

I usually use a jpg quality of between 50% and 75% for a show which will be run on someone else's pc. For shows designed to be shown only on my own equipment I usually try to use around 80% for the extra quality.

I'm starting to use larger image sizes now (wide-screen, and higher resolution), so may have to go to lesser-quality jpegs more often, especially where several are played quickly in sequence.

I usually use a jpg quality of between 50% and 75% for a show which will be run on someone else's pc. ....

snip....

Al, I don't mean to sound -dense- but 50% of what?

What I'm wondering is where should I set my camera?

It's capable of 4 megapixel but I know I can get pictures that look fine on a PC screen

using a setting on the camera that's only going to generate 200k size jpgs.

My latest batch of vacation pictures were each about 700k.

Is that large enough to get good DVD results?

Or should I set my camera for even higher resolution?

(in case no one has said so lately, your PTE101 tutoral is GREAT!)

Thanks!

Dan D.

Dan

depending on your graphics program

when you take the picture from the camera into this program and do a save as

it should ask the quality you want to save as

generally it is 80% quality for a jpeg

there is quite a difference in resulting disc size between 50%, 80% and 100% jpgs

I would suggest you start a new thread because this one is way off topic - then your questions /answers will be more easily found

also use the search function of the forum for picture size

example

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...18&hl=irfanview

and i have +-15 more links like that

ken

Dan

depending on your graphics program

when you take the picture from the camera into this program and do a save as

it should ask the quality you want to save as

generally it is 80% quality for a jpeg

there is quite a difference in resulting disc size between 50%, 80% and 100% jpgs

I would suggest you start a new thread because this one is way off topic - then your questions /answers will be more easily found

also use the search function of the forum for picture size

example

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...18&hl=irfanview

and i have +-15 more links like that

ken

OK Ken, I won't persist any further on this thread but you have not answered my question!

My camera creates jpg files.

I drag and drop them into my hard drive and eventually point PTE to that directory.

At no time am I asked "what % do I want to use".

If I edit them with a photo editor I can change their size but why not just

take the photographs of the correct size to begin with?

I simply asked what file size will render a good DVD?

Or what photo size I should set my camera in order to get good DVD results.

This thread above mentions file size and resulting flicker on the DVD.

That's what got me started on this topic.

If I edit them with a photo editor I can change their size but why not just

take the photographs of the correct size to begin with?

because it is easier to work with big files and make them smaller than the opposite

I simply asked what file size will render a good DVD?

Or what photo size I should set my camera in order to get good DVD results.

100 - 200 kb

but Al's point was he was going to decrease the quality by lowering the compression ratio

this is not a simple question/answer

i use files as big as 2.5 mb each because i can

but i also use smaller files 100 - 200 kb in size

it depends on what i am trying to achieve --

on these 2 threads i used +- 50 disks, many hrs and many miles driving back and forth to places to test

I dont know how many of the above Al, Hawk and Jeff used but it was considerable -- Al even delivered disks to hawk and myself to see his work on his way south - Lives in Ottawa - is in Tuscon AZ at present:)

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3943

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3992

i do not have the shimmer/quiver problem because i have researched the subject of shimmer and quiver -as well as many others - it is a very deep subject and one has to experiment in order to achieve optimum results

what may work for me may not work for other people -- there are more variables than hair on a dog

there are numerous threads on the optimum size and shimmer subject in the forum -- you are going to have to search them out -- you will soom see it is not a simple subject - but it is attainable to make an excellent show as many of the other members will attest to - but it wasn't always that way - when i first started with vcd's and svcd's i had shimmer on the r side on vertical edges -- the solution - get rid of the frames and borders and make picts fill the tv screen

ken

Al, I don't mean to sound -dense- but 50% of what?

Dan,

As Ken indicated, the "50%" applies to the amount of jpeg compression achieved by using an image editor such as Photoshop to convert and save your images.

Different cameras have differing options for saving images. Mine, a Nikon D70, allows me to choose several formats, each with progressively smaller file sizes:

Raw ( un-compressed, file size around 5.5 Mb)

Fine (compressed jpeg, file size around 2.5 Mb)

Normal (compressed jpeg, file size around 1.5 Mb)

Basic (compressed jpeg, file size ? - can't remember)

All of these save images at a 3000x2000 image size.

There are also options for smaller image sizes (and correspondingly smaller file sizes), which I haven't even used yet.

The only way to choose a specific jpeg quality % is to import the image into an image editor and then save it at a specific jpeg quality value.