WnSoft Forums

File write error

BrianN

I seem to have a problem with a project that I've been working on for a week or two. I've found working with Pictures to Exe on the whole really good, but there is an occasional problem when creating a slideshow .exe. I think the main problem (simply failing to generate the .exe) went away when I upgraded to the current version on the website. However, yesterday, I got a more serious problem. An attempt to generate a .exe failed and I can no longer open the project. Every time I attempt to do so, I get a File write error from Pictures to Exe. I think the problem was only associated with a relatively large project. The .pte file looks fine when opened with Notepad. Has anyone been here before and got a workaround?

Thanks, Brian

more details will be needed

how big a show

how many picts

how many sound files - type

synced un synced

complete system description - ram etc

did you uninstall and try a reinstall of the p2e program

will previous shows still work

have you made any system software additons -- removal

ken

Also ... when you say "Current Version (from website) " ... to what version are you referring too ?

There have also been beta versions available from this forum website ... not just the latest final release ( current users version) from the PTE homepage website.

Brian, your problem seems to be originated not by a large show, but by some error in your settings (a transition longer than the image timing, for example). Do you have any sound in your project? If so, did you synchronize sound and pictures by the time-line?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

To give a little more detail:

I'm using version 3.80

The show has about 130 slides of about .5Mbytes each.

There is a single background music track. I abandoned an attempt to use the automatic adjust feature since this didn't work properly. Instead, I simply adjusted the duration per slide to match the music. I haven't used the timeline, just simple arithmetic.

Pictures to exe is now in a strange state. Yes, I've tried reinstalling without any benefit.

If I start the program by double clicking on my (now failed) project, I get the message Write file error, the program starts, but doesn't open the project. I can then create a new project which works just fine. Having done this and exited, I can then work with all my other presentations.

The only change of which I'm aware between the project working and not working. (It happened within an hour or so and I made no deliberate changes outside P2exe) was the introduction of a new slide. I'll check the data file in this area using notepad. I can't, of course, view my settings in P2exe, since it refuses to open the file.

Thanks, Brian

Brian,

If you have MS Excel 97 or 2000, you could try loading the .pte file into the "PTE Adjustor" model, and it will tell you if there are any timing inconsistencies. And, if you fire up the "dark table", it will let you know if there are any image files it can't find. (see separate Adjustor thread on this page for details on where to find it.)

Well, I tried downloading the beta version of pte4.0. This gives me a different message from version 3 on my failed show. the message is "Sorry! Incorrect version of project file ". Does that suggest anything? I'll continue trying your suggestions.

Version 4 appears to work fine with my other projects.

BrianN

Yes I had same problems. I even sent Igor screenshots of the error messages. I noticed that in my case there was no problem with new slides but with those originaly made with previous version. Some of them when opened with beta 4 I could not compile and program crushed. So better send Igor screen shots to compare with mine.

Same problem with beta 5 when open old pte file, all crushed.

Granot

:) I found the problem!

It appears that the P2E user interface allows erroneous entries of comments.

On close examination of the .pte file with Notepad I found the following sequence:

CommentsCount=1

Comment1=August-Manchester

Commonwealth games

Sound=@

I edited it to

CommentsCount=2

Comment1=August-Manchester

Comment2=Commonwealth games

Sound=@

and the show started working again.

I have other multiple-line comments in the show which have entered correctly.

I remember groping about trying to find the right keyboard combination to enter multiple comment lines and I presumably found one that the user interface accepts but interprets incorrectly.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Thanks!

This situation occurs, if user enters a multi-line text comment by pressing of Ctrl+Enter. I have found solution how to fix the problem. And now (in v4.00 release), when you press Ctrl+Enter, PicturesToExe will show (known) a window of the text editor to correctly enter multi-line comment.