WnSoft Forums

smaller files?

nibble

I created a greeting card as a tiny screensaver these days.

It consits now of a

jpg ~90kb

+ mp3 music ~400kb

+ the PicturesToExe loading module ~250kb.

You are using Aspack, but it has not such a good compression ratio

that my presentation can never max. be ~500kb. :unsure:

Will you support other PE-Packing tools like upx in next releases?

Because it make no sence unpack and repack it manual, now.

regards, nibble.

I compared AsPack with UPX two years ago, and AsPack compressed better than UPX.

We use AsPack for a very long time and it shown ideal reliability.

Also I have personal contacts with authors of AsPack and we can solve any possible difficulties immediately.

If you really want to repack EXE file, I suppose that there is utilities which can unpack EXE file compressed by AsPack .

p.s. in AsPack we can use more strong compression option. But it will delay start of EXE file 1 second or so.

Well, but there are some other PE-Compressor, which get better results:

upack, PEC2, NSPack.. or UPX 1.93

It's not the problem to unpack an already packed file.

Why I don't prefer this is, because things sometimes get stripped out

and the file is not runable anymore.

I understand your friendship to the authors and I used ASPack for a long time, too.

But it's really the reason of it's filesize and I wish you would support freeware tools in a kind of a plug-in.

Or the result stay uncompressed. Just for example.

The main reason why we still use AsPack - reliability shown during over 6 years.

I'm afraid to change something in this question if all works OK.

I just checked UPX 1.93 and it created EXE file larger on 500 bytes than AsPack.

With compression parameter "-9" UPX packs EXE file exactly as AsPack with "Max compression". Both - 248 KB (246 KB with normal compression). You can see that no difference and no reason to replace compressor.

Maybe EXE files created in PTE v5.00 will be more compact that v4.xx.

I hope on your understanding.

p.s. If you need to create really small slide-shows, please use MIDI music and small JPEG images. Be aware that "Save as" in Photoshop adds additional 15-25 KB (!!) of EXIF data to each JPEG image, even if it could be only 30 KB! Use "Save for Web" instead of our PixBuilder Studio which also produces compact JPEG files.

(Concerning "Save/Save as" in Photoshop, for example, one large slide-show, 30 MB of EXE file with 100 slides, may contains 1 MB of useless in slide-show EXIF data. And this slide-show could be reduced down to 29 MB without any losses in quality.)