WnSoft Forums

Presentations

stonemason

We as a forum community spend lots fo time delving into the inermost workings, and functions of PTE in order to get the best results from this great piece of software. The end product of asking for, and recieving lots of advice from members of the forum, who so generously give of their expertise and knowledge, is hopefully slideshows that we can be proud of. Allowing others to see our work, is a good way of getting constructive feedback, and another good way of learning to get the best from our slideshows. My own AV background is from slide/tape AVs, which I entered into competitions and recieved said feedback from the judge. With the decline in slide/tape AVs, and as yet few opportunities to compete with digital slideshows (in my area anyway) we must rely on feedback from like-minded people on the PTE forum and this brings me to the point I wish to open for discussion. When a slideshow is made available for others to see, such as at Beechbrook Cottage and other sites, at Beechbrook at least the download tally rarely is less than 200, and yet comments on the presentation section of the forum rarely exceed 5. I'm not looking for some mutual backslapping session, as I'm sure others are not either, but it would be good for all of us if discussion, praise or critisism of presentations was more freely entered into, and this section of the forum would become as good a learning source as is the PTE forum.

regards

Geoff

Geoff:

I am with you on this. I have specifically asked for feedback on a few of my Beechbrook shows and received constructive comments.

From experiences elsewhere I know that some people do not want feedback, or feedback givers are reluctant to coment without specific invitations.

Then there is the risk that someone will say something that will be taken the wrong way (as can so easily happen with e-mails and forums as we have seen) and we all know what that does....

Personally I feel it is worth the "risk" to ask for comments

Using digital technique ought to increase the degree of feedback as it's so much easier to share shows. However, as has been mentioned, it's easy to upset someone without really intending to do so.

One attempt to solve this, worth looking at, has been adopted by another forum:

http://www.creatingslideshows.com/forum

but the take-up hasn't been very great and recently there have been some technical problems there.

I agree that one has to be polite and constructive with critisism but I agree with JRR that the risk is worth taking in order that we can learn what others think of our work, and take note of any suggestions if we feel they are valid, and ignore them if we feel they are not. Perhaps the best thing would be if all who posted AVs and wanted feedback, actualy said so in thier posting. This would then not deter people from sharing AVs who were not keen on recieving any critical feedback. I feel this has the potential to greatly increase the knowledge of all by allowing people to view slideshows and read what others think, to see if this matches their own opinion or not. Lets not miss an opportunity by being too cautious, while at the same time being mindful of others feelings, and considering our comments with care. Please all who read this engage in the debate, and make our forum as interactive as possible.

Geoff

As a very recent newcomer to the facinating subject of AV, my viewpoint on this subject may be pertinent.

Although at my present "acolyte stage", I'm not yet ready to publish any of my work (after all viewing is supposed to be a pleasurable experience!) I most certainly would like to, in the future.

The feedback, that I'm certain would follow from the generous members of this group, would be most welcome. I would consider that, which constructively draws attention to shortcomings, to be of greater benefit than reams of, be it ever so nice to receive, praise.

There will, of course, be those whose work cannot benefit from critisism. Such could be submitted - clearly indicating "request no comments" or, more humourously, "praise only - please"! <_<

John

We as a forum community spend lots fo time delving into the inermost workings, and functions of PTE in order to get the best results from this great piece of software. The end product of asking for, and recieving lots of advice from members of the forum, who so generously give of their expertise and knowledge, is hopefully slideshows that we can be proud of. Allowing others to see our work, is a good way of getting constructive feedback, and another good way of learning to get the best from our slideshows. My own AV background is from slide/tape AVs, which I entered into competitions and recieved said feedback from the judge. With the decline in slide/tape AVs, and as yet few opportunities to compete with digital slideshows (in my area anyway) we must rely on feedback from like-minded people on the PTE forum and this brings me to the point I wish to open for discussion. When a slideshow is made available for others to see, such as at Beechbrook Cottage and other sites, at Beechbrook at least the download tally rarely is less than 200, and yet comments on the presentation section of the forum rarely exceed 5. I'm not looking for some mutual backslapping session, as I'm sure others are not either, but it would be good for all of us if discussion, praise or critisism of presentations was more freely entered into, and this section of the forum would become as good a learning source as is the PTE forum.

regards

Geoff

Hi,

I would love to look at them all.....but without a dsl connection it takes too long to get to the package. files are so large most of us probably just move to something else.....sorry....but the designed shows are too big to download and watch or view online.....jongru

Hi,

I would love to look at them all.....but without a dsl connection it takes too long to get to the package. files are so large most of us probably just move to something else.....sorry....but the designed shows are too big to download and watch or view online.....jongru

Hi,