WnSoft Forums

Pixellation

Flying Scotsman

Sorry to raise this point again, but I hope Igor is giving this some thought - problem is pixellation with large picture files (e.g. from my Nikon D70). I downloaded Picasa from Google today and the pixellation is virtually non-existent. Hopefully, if Picasa can solve the problem, you will be able to. The reason I`m bringing this up again, is that I have just taken delivery of an Optima DLP projector with XGA native resolution and the pixellation is even more obvious. I know that reducing the file size in Adobe reduces the problem, but picture quality is reduced slightly. Or perhaps you already have the solution?

Keep up the good work - PXE is very good indeed!

Scotsman,

You are probably getting more pixellation for 2 reasons:

1. Your projector is probably projecting at a lower resolution than your pc monitor, and

2. When you project the image, the pixellation is even more noticeable than on the monitor because the image projected is much larger.

It's similar to those first very large TV sets that came out back in the early 80's that looked terribly grainy from close-up because the lines were much further apart than on a smaller set.

Hi,

You are going to have to explain your problem in a little more detail?

As was explained to you in a previous post, if your D70 files are reduced in Photoshop to 1024x768 with a file size of around 300-400Kb, you should have ZERO pixelation like everyone else.

Make sure that your show is set to 1024x768 in Project Options / Screen (use Windowed Mode without border) and that "fit to screen" is OFF (unticked).

Pixellation is also related to the amount of smoothing or anti-aliasing present.

It is more pronounced on sharp diagonal lines and especially lines that have been over-sharpened in one's image editor.

A good way to see raw pixellation is with text produced with "anti-aliasing" turned off.

Hi,

You are going to have to explain your problem in a little more detail?

As was explained to you in a previous post, if your D70 files are reduced in Photoshop to 1024x768 with a file size of around 300-400Kb, you should have ZERO pixelation like everyone else.

Make sure that your show is set to 1024x768 in Project Options / Screen (use Windowed Mode without border) and that "fit to screen" is OFF (unticked).

Hi Davegee,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried, as previously suggested, reducing picure size in Adobe - it works as far as the pixellation is concerned, by the picture quality goes down.

Although I have said that when projected the pixellation is very noticeable on my new XGA projector, it is also noticeable on my computer monitor. Picasa from Google and Smoothshow do not have this problem when I view/show the same slides at full picture file size. I have checked all the resolutions of my computer and projector and they are OK. Simply, as far as I can see, the PXE software needs to be uprated (or whatever). As I have explained before, I am a railway photographer and with railway lines, power lines etc. this is a problem.

ANyway, thank you for taking the time to reply to me - it`s greatly appreciated.

FS

Hi Alrobin,

How are things in Ottawa?

Thank you for your reply on the pixellation problem. I`ll try what you suggest, But when I view my slides I view them in their unaltered state downloaded from the camera as jpegs and fine resolution. As I mentioned, if I view the same slide withe Google`s Picasa and with Smoothshow - the problem simply isn`t there. So, it appears to be PXE problem. Others have suggested reducing the file size in Adobe which I have tried and this certainly gets rid of the problem, but picture quality and reolution deteriorates - which, quite frankly, I don`t want.

Although I have mentioned the problem being pronounced when I project, it is there on my computer monitor. Simply, the impression I get is that PXE needs to be upgraded to enable it to cope with large picture files much better and I would guess that as more people buy better resolution projectors and cameras which produce such files the problem will become more apparent. Apart from this little problem, I think PXE is very good indeed as an audio-visual tool and I will stick with ir in the hope that ............

Very best wishes and thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

FS

Flyin'

there is a pile of info in this thread

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3943

see the results of my tests starting at this point in the thread

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....st=entry25224

then Jeff gave us another challenge

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3992

I did not experience Jaggies in these tests when viewing at the store but did at the friends 60" ws Panasonic.

I have since sent disks home with my tech wh also has a 60" ws -- he experienced no problems

theses pictures were all "as taken" from the camera's -- pop and shoot amateur owners - camera's +-3 years old - one HP and one Canon

ken

So, it appears to be PXE problem. Others have suggested reducing the file size in Adobe which I have tried and this certainly gets rid of the problem, but picture quality and reolution deteriorates - which, quite frankly, I don`t want.

Although I have mentioned the problem being pronounced when I project, it is there on my computer monitor. Simply, the impression I get is that PXE needs to be upgraded to enable it to cope with large picture files much better and I would guess that as more people buy better resolution projectors and cameras which produce such files the problem will become more apparent.

FS,

First of all, over 1000 of us have been using PTE for several years and don't seem to have the same problem as you are describing, so that rules out PTE as being the source of the problem.

I agree with you that you don't want to reduce the image sizes unneccessarily, but it is reasonable to expect that they would be reduced to a size which PTE can handle without encountering flickering, shimmering, etc. You should also accept the fact that, as good as it is in adjusting image sizes to suit the particular viewing resolution, PTE is not intended to compete with PS and other high-end editors, so that implies prior preparation of the images in a suitable image editor - if Picassa works for you, then that's the one you should use. Most of us use Photoshop as it's approximation algorithms are superb.

You should not expect PTE to eliminate jaggies - what is a suitable approximation for you might not be suitable for someone else. So, you should be preparing your images first in whatever software works, until it looks good when displayed in your PTE show. And, it will only look perfect on your own PC, through your own projector, as every other combination will be slightly different.

The philosophy used in PTE, and I believe this is the correct one, is that it will attempt to show the images presented to it as accurately as possible without all kinds of post-production manipulation. The same rule is applied to colour management, which some have suggested is required in order to project a uniform show. However, this would not please everyone as proper colour, etc., is very subjective, so the approach taken is that each AV producer should do whatever is necessary to the images before importing into PTE.

As Dave suggests, it would be nice if we could see some of the images you are concerned with, so that we can try them out in different scenarios, including PTE. AT least give us some technical specs so that we can better understand and assess your situation.

Best of luck with your shows! :)