WnSoft Forums

ShowVideoPTE

boxig

ShowVideoPTE

This utility was made for "PicturesToExe" users to display videos over show. You can display a different video on each slide. These files should work but I didn't try them all:

AVI, WMV, QT, MPG, MPEG, MOV, M1V, ASX, ASF.

Put all your video files in the same folder as your show and change the file names to numbers, in the order you want them to run. Example:

1.mpg

2.avi

3.mpg

4.wmv

The zip include 3 files and you should include all in the same folder as your show:

1). ShowVideoPTE.exe

2). Deletevidtmp.exe

3). ModifyPTE.exe

"ShowVideoPTE.exe" file is the main utility. Use "Run external application" command on the slide you want to run a video. In Project options > Advanced > Run application after last slide - write: "Deletevidtmp.exe". This application will delete a temporary file created by the utility in order to follow video numbers. This temporary file is created in C:\vidtmp.ini. This temporary file must be deleted on exit show to allow a new count of videos when the show will run again. The third file "ModifyPTE.exe" will modify your pte project file. It will not make any changes to your original file but create a new pte file. This is needed in case that user will exit show before it ends and it will run "Deletevidtmp.exe". If you don't modify your pte file "Deletevidtmp.exe" will not run.

Known Limitations:

Task bar may appear while video is displayed.

You can not use the utility if you allow user to go back or jump to other slide where a video is called but you can use "Next" button to go to next slide and "Previous" only if the previous slide does not call a video.

This program is a Donationware. You can use it for any noncomercial use. If you use this utility for your business or any other commercial use you should register.

By using this application, you are agreeing to comply with and be bound by the following terms of use. This program is provided "as is" without any warranty. Your use of this application is at your own risk. I am not liable for any damages arising from use of this application.

To download go to My Webpage and look for "ShowVideoPTE".

:P Granot

Granot, this new version works pretty well so far. I've updated one show that has 2 video clips in it and all is working great on that one :P . The other one I have some 12 video clips in and just finished running it the first time and still have a glitch with that one :unsure: . But before I get to that I have a couple of questions to clearify the placement of Deletevidtmp.exe and ModifyPTE.exe files. For Deletevidtmp.exe could I run that on the slide right after the last video clip in the show? And for ModifyPTE.exe, right now I just have sitting in the same folder as the show. Should I run that on the first slide of the show?

Also for file names of the video clips, your instructions are to name the files "1", "2", etc. Is it possible to put something descriptive behind the number, like 1_clipONE, 2_anotherCLIP, etc? I could experipment but thought I'd ask since I'm already being a PIA :rolleyes: .

Is there a limit on the number of video clip that can be in one show? The reason I ask is in the show where I have 12 video clips, clips 10, 11, & 12 don't play. Not a major problem because I can split the show into 2 segments and put the break where there is a music change. Much more manageable that linking 12 short segements together.

Thanks, Steve Fredrick

Steve,

I see I wrote it wrong in the Readme.

"ModifyPTE.exe" in NOT needed for the utility to run, it is a tool to modify pte project file BEFORE compiling it to exe. So no need to include it (see more explanation below).

No, "Deletevidtmp.exe" sould run on "Exit" and not on any other slide. Use "Project options > Advanced > Run application after last slide". The utility created a temporary file called "vidtmp.ini" where it counts the times you run it from the show. That way it knows which video to display on next run. "Deletevidtmp.exe" deletes this temporary file when show is closed. Runing it anytime before that will start a new count and videos will be misplaced. If you use "Run application after last slide" to run any exe without modifying your project with "ModifyPTE.exe" and user exit your show in the middle then the exe will not run (try it) but if you modify the pte file before compiling then "Run application after last slide" will actually mean ""Run application on exit show". BTW, "ModifyPTE.exe" is a standalone utility which can be used anytime you need to run any file when user exit show.

Yes, it possible to put something descriptive behind the numbers of the video files, like 1_clipONE, 2_anotherCLIP, etc. The utility sorts the files by values (not by names) so as long as the names starts with a number it does not matter what comes after the name: 1_Flower.mpeg, 2_Big House.avi >>> the 1_Flower.mpeg will be displayed first.

No, there is no limit on the number of video clip that can be in one show. What happens when you run your "12 video clips" show ? Can you specify "don't play" ? Does the utility run but no video (black small window) or it does not run at all ?

BTW, if what you need is mostly video presentation without transition effects between slides maybe I can make a speciall tool for that.

Thank you

Granot

Granot,

I think I understand want you are saying about ModifyPTE.exe but I think there is a bug in that program. When I run it I get a dialog box that has a note similar to what you say this routine does in the readme but there is a button that says "Find your PTE File". When I press the button I get another dialog box asking for a file name. Not sure what is going on here but needless to say I have not successfully ran ModifyPTE before creating any of the slide shows I've done with this new version.

I think I did not have some of the video slides set up correctly on that first pass. I've since updated them and now think they are correct. Initially I was getting a blank video playing for video clips 10, 11, 12. Now I'm getting clips 1-3 playing on the slides where 10-12 should be playing.

Steve Fredrick

Steve,

Now I'm getting clips 1-3 playing on the slides where 10-12 should be

Ok, try to number the files as: 001Name, 002Name...

It seems it sorts the files 1, 10, ... I think this will solve the problem (let me know).

As for modifying pte file, just click on "Find your PTE File" and browse for your pte file. You will get a message sayin "Done !" and you will find the new file in the same folder as the original.

Granot

Still getting the same symptoms: clips 1,2,3 playing where 10,11,12 should plan.

Don't know if there is a clue in here but when I changed the file names to a_name, b_name, c_name, etc I got some other strange behavior. (BTW, I did this with the previous version of ShowVideoPTE.) Clip "g" played where "a" was suppose to play and "a" played where "g" was suppose to play. And for the last three it played g, b, c. (Again "g" played where you would expect "a" to play.) Like I said not know if there is a clue in here but is different. I haven't tryed this with the new version yet.

I don't see any reason for this behaviour in the new version. It works fine with me. I think I know what is the problem. You are not using modified pte show or you are not running it from a show. this results in not deleting "vidtmp.ini" (in C:\) and each time you run it it reads from that file the last number played. In other words, memory is not cleared.

Try first with simple names:

a.mpg, b.mpg .....

and use a show with "Deletevidtmp.exe" andt modifiying pte (before compiling).

Granot

I don't understand why it doesn't work for me either. I checked the date on the ShowVideoPTE file I was using for this project and it was todays date (18 Feb.). But just to be sure I searched for ShowVideoPTE and deleted all instances. Then d/l'ed it again and put into folder with show. Then did:

1. From Explorer ran Deletevidtemp

2. Ran ModifyPTE

3. Opened file_new

4. Created the .exe

5. Ran it with the same results--where the 10th clip should have run the 1st one ran.

Another experiment; all from Windows Explorer:

1. Ran Deletevidtemp

2. Ran ShowVideoPTE. 1st clip ran

3. Ran ShowVideoPTE. 2nd clip ran

4. Ran Show VideoPTE. 3rd clip ran

9. Ran ShowVidioPTE. 8th clip ran

10. Ran ShowVidePTE. 9th clip ran

11. Ran ShowVideoPTE. Guess what... The 1st clip ran

At least for me, it seem to be limited to 9 video clips per PTE show. That may not be the way you wanted it to work but that's what I'm seeing. To accoplish what I'm trying to do for the vaction show I can string together two PTE shows.

BTW, any chance you uploaded the wrong version of ShowVideoPTE to your site?

Also BTW, thanks for your patinece and all the time you've put in on this.

Steve,

You were right ! Sorry.

I totally forgot that when I first did it I enabled only 9 videos. I was checking it for hours and couldn't find any bug till I recalled this limitation. So now all is ok, limited to 99 videos. I uploaded new version. You may name your videos as you want remembering only one thig: The program will arrange all video files (any kind) alphabetically:

Beach_and_sea.exe

Forest_show.exe

National_park.exe

or

aNational_park.exe

bBeach_and_sea.exe

cForest_show.exe

Let me know.

Granot

Granot,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. Yesterday morning I did d/l the updated version of ShowVideoPTE and tested it with an old version of the show (one with 13 video clips) and yes it now works. :D:D:D Howerver, for this current project I'm going to stay with the show implemented as two separate PTE shows with each having less than 9 video clips. That is unless someone knows how to how to cut and paste or append a second audio synchonized show onto another synchronized show. (I know I'd have to edit the audio separately. All I need is to get the slides and timming transfered). At this point the show is sync'ed to 4 audio clip in part one and 3 in part two that were strung together with Audacity. Sync'ing to the video clips was little tricky since the playing of the video is asynchronous (independent) of the PTE slide show and the time to open, execute, and close each time it runs varies slightly depending on what else the computer is doing.

Also I've started the practice of having the first slide, in a show that uses ShowVideoPTE, to execute the Deletevidtmp.exe routine. Even though users can prematurely stop a show they have no way of starting in the middle. So reseting the counter at the beginning of each show seems prudent.

And for others that might come along later and read this thread...... I've started using a procedure that allows me to review/debug long shows without having to start at the very beginning (with the video clips the run time for the show goes up quickly). After I thought of it, it has saved me a lot of time. For example, if you just made changes to the audio that plays with a video clip that is 10-12 minutes into the show. Rather than sitting a waiting for the 10-12 minutes (that you are not interested in for this exercise) you can start the show right before the desired video clip by "presetting" the counter used to sequence though the video clip. What I do is first run (double clip) Deletevidtmp.exe. Then I run ShowVideoPTE (double clip), located in the same folder as the show and video clips, then after the 1st video clip starts I hit ESC (no need to watch the whole thing). Do that until you get to down the sequence of clips and stop before you get to the clip you want to view. Then go into the PTE project, select a (non-video) slide before the clip and right click and Preview from Current slide. Works for me.

Thanks for making this Donationware available and for making changes. A very usefull tool that extends the capability of PTE.

Also I've started the practice of having the first slide, in a show that uses ShowVideoPTE, to execute the Deletevidtmp.exe routine. Even though users can prematurely stop a show they have no way of starting in the middle. So reseting the counter at the beginning of each show seems prudent.

That's good idea. I never thought of it :( .

So the "ModifyPTE" utility is no longer needed if you put "Deletevidtmp.exe" on first slide.

It is difficult to make a tool that fits all members since everyone has different structure of the show but I'm glad it helps you.

I will be always glad to try and make a tool for any request of members.

Granot

Task bar may appear while video is displayed.

I tried your utility and it works well, I also put Deletevidtmp.exe at the beginning and at the end of the show so there is no problem, even you have another show which put vidtmp.ini you will be good.

This utility works also well with your other utility Hidetaskbar. The only problem is that at the beginning and at the end, there is a grey (level=40) rectangle which appears. Is it possible to don't have it.

there is a grey (level=40) rectangle which appears. Is it possible to don't have it.

Do you mean in "ShowVideoPTE" or in "Hidetaskbar" ?

And, there is also "Hidetaskbar" utility made by Marcovelo (member of this forum) so you can try it too.

I think if runing "Hidetaskbar" then it must be run on "Run application on last slide" also to bring back the hidded task bar. And, if user close in the middle, then you must modify pte file before compiling (using my utility).

Well I think if you run "Deletevidtmp.exe" of first slide of each show no need to run it any more.

Granot

Sorry for Hidetaskbar, I though you did it, but it's Marcovelo tools which works well with yours. I tried the new version, it's really better but there is now, only at the end a grey screen for about half a second, however it's better than the next version. I think it's necessary to put also Deletevidtmp.exe at the end and put opt_runapponexitiflastslide at 0 in order that another slideshow using this utility without Deletevidtmp.exe at the beginning can run, it's the reason for which I also keep it at the end. Very good job Granot.

Well, I think anyone who will use this utility will read the Readme file and put "Deletevidtmp.exe" on start but it wont hurt to run it again on Exit as you do.

Yes, I saw the gray screen (black on my pc), probably depending on the movie) and I will try to look how to fix it. If I succeed I will post here.

Marcovelo's tool is better then mine and smaller. In the coming days I will make a new Hide/Show utility to replace my old one.

If you need anything else (and I can do it), you are welcome.

Granot

Well done Granot, but there is another problem I did not see : it doesn't play in the center of the sreen. It will be difficult to do a complex slideshow like "Corsica" with this problem. If you can fixed that, it will be perfect.

Yes I used an AVI made by PTE with a Microsoft codec. I just try the last version it's a little above the center with avi file. I'll try with MPG, but these are AVI which are for me the most interesting format.