WnSoft Forums

Printable Image Size

Conflow

Not a Trick Question

Has anyone on the Forum got a simple answer to this problem ?

I am printing Images on to Photo-Cards to fit into CD-Jewel Cases as 'inlays or inserts' ~

The front image being a Title Photograph and when the case is opened the rear image is

a Menu List with Instructions as to how to use the CD etc,etc.

The insert Card is cut precisely to 120 x 120mm and of course the 2 Photo-Images must

agree with those dimensions to fit on to the Photo-Cards to give 'borderless' registration.

The CD Printing Programs are very "fuzzy" about this and often simply ignore this task.

My question is ? -- What Pixels x Pixels correspond to 120 x 120mm so that after

printing, the Images sizes are precisely 120 x 120mm (±1mm)

No its not a 'trick question' ~ Try for yourself to print out a precision 120 x 120mm Image

then measure it, and you will see for yourself the problem !!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Brian.Conflow.

Ok, I'll bite. If I open an image in Photoshop and in the Image Size dialog box set the long dimension to 120 mm and the resolution to 300ppi (if you use a different resolution on your print file the pixel dimensions will change) it gives a pixel dimension of 1417 pixels for that side. I hope this helps.

Ok, I'll bite. If I open an image in Photoshop and in the Image Size dialog box set the long dimension to 120 mm and the resolution to 300ppi (if you use a different resolution on your print file the pixel dimensions will change) it gives a pixel dimension of 1417 pixels for that side. I hope this helps.

Many Thanks Steve,

Personally I don't use Photoshop, I use 'Paint.Net' and usually work in 250ppi ~ can you give me the equivalent Pixels for Photoshop working at 250ppi ~ that would help a lot.

Brian.Conflow.

Using Photoshop ...

I set the crop tool to 120 mm by 120 mm at 250 ppi

The resulting image was 1181 pixels by 1181 pixels

BUT the actual image had cropped down to 119.99 mm by 199.99 mm at 250 ppi

Hope this helps Brian. :)

I usually use Roxio Creator Classic v 6.1 which has a Label Creator program. This creates the labels and inserts for each CD or DVD.

Best wishes

Maureen

Maureen is very very busy this week-end and obviously burning the mid-night oil to post her helpful reply. So she can be excused the typing error in line 4 of her mail which I assume should read "...119.99 mm by 119.99 mm......"

Have a great day Maureen

Ron [uK]

I'm not sure if this will be of any help Brian, but I made a template a long time ago, in Powerpoint which allows the dropping in of images (usually oversize) which can then be manipulated to fit the guide lines I created. If you want a copy just say.

The results are accurate and never vary.

Dave.

Not a Trick Question

Has anyone on the Forum got a simple answer to this problem ?

I am printing Images on to Photo-Cards to fit into CD-Jewel Cases as 'inlays or inserts' ~

The front image being a Title Photograph and when the case is opened the rear image is

a Menu List with Instructions as to how to use the CD etc,etc.

The insert Card is cut precisely to 120 x 120mm and of course the 2 Photo-Images must

agree with those dimensions to fit on to the Photo-Cards to give 'borderless' registration.

The CD Printing Programs are very "fuzzy" about this and often simply ignore this task.

My question is ? -- What Pixels x Pixels correspond to 120 x 120mm so that after

printing, the Images sizes are precisely 120 x 120mm (±1mm)

No its not a 'trick question' ~ Try for yourself to print out a precision 120 x 120mm Image

then measure it, and you will see for yourself the problem !!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

That's 1181 x 1181 pixels....

Lin

Maureen & Lin,

Many thanks for that "tip" 1181 x 1181 pixels ~ Unfortunately I don't use Photoshop and to be honest I have been working on this problem for over a week now. Setting up 1181 x1181 into many Photo-Editors gave very different results,for example:-

Paint.NET gave a 160x160mm Image, MGI gave a 200x200 Image, Pix-Resizer altered the aspect ratio, Nero Label Maker was all over the place, JPeg Crop was a guessing game, CD Label Maker wanted to find my Photo Editor,and it went on and on.

It appears that Pixels x Pixels size is not the answer (Photoshop excepted) but it seems to have everything to do with the resident Microsoft Graphics Engine and how it interpret's the output from various Photo Editors prior to Printing and whether the PC is set-up for 72 or 96 dpi....So I went back 'scouring' the Web.

I found a brilliant Utility called "PhotoFiltre" which does the job perfectly and it maintains the Image aspect ratio and one only enters in the dimensions needed for the final Print job. It does a hell of a lot more besides! ~

Its ideal for fast on the "fly" conversions which I needed. From:- www.photofiltre.com

Dave & Steve,

Dave, yes up to now I have been using Templates but its such a "chore" having to alter the Template for different Presentations, I needed some thing that's fast and can be used on the 'fly' with excellent quality.

Again many thanks to all who responded and why not give PhotoFiltre a try ?

Brian.Conflow.