WnSoft Forums

Another World Vol 1

mk power

Many photographers take loads of pictures which seldom see the light of day. Thanks to PTE these can now be compiled in a viewable sequence and thanks to Bill at Beechbrook those sequences can be seen by us all. Without them I would not have seen Mike's "Another World Vol 1" a truly magnificent piece of macro photography. Thanks Mike and roll on the further volumes.

Ron [uK]

Hello Mike

Absolutely stunning and incredible photos.

Five very particular minutes :)

A fantastic and astonishing other world !

Thank you very much for sharing.

Excellent images make for a very entertaining and interesting show. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Many moons ago i believe i recommended members to vist this site

http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation?...ation_id=188714

"Mark Plonsky

by M. Plonsky, Ph.D.

This article will explain the techniques I use to take bug pictures.

Macro Photography Tutorial"

my grandkids and others were bug eyed with the vcd i made of his shots -- and the quality is great on tv

ken

Warning this is a long rant!...Thanks all for the encouraging comments! Severn and LumenLux- I’ll try and outline the equipment and methods I use, firstly I’m no expert! Secondly I’m an old “fogie” retired, with plenty of time to indulge my “insect macro” passion. The rural town I live in is sandwiched between a large tract of native bush and broad acre farming, providing a diversity of insect life.

My equipment: Canon 300d, Tamron 90mm Di macro lens & SP Af x2 teleconverter. A pair of “old” Sunpak 383 manual flashes, finally a very heavy Manfrotto tripod & head. Flash mounting arrangements is in constant flux. I try to have one flash positioned above and level with front of the lens. The second flash is “light” triggered & placed to one side “as situation dictates”. All pretty awkward I must admit.

After locating the subject & cautiously setting up the camera – I set “manual everything”, Be warned the TC gives more shooting versatility, but is a real “light bandit”! I close the aperture well down, I rarely use it opened below f22 & generally in the f25 to f32.range. The flashes have manual power output level controls, which experience has taught me to set fairly accurately (it doesn’t vary much). I always shoot in RAW & rely on the “review screen” histogram for exposure. I use the “rock back & forth” focus technique - see article by my macro hero Mark Plonsky http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm - With this amount of “flash” you most likely only get one shot (thankfully. not always!) … Make sure it’s what you want! Be prepared for failures but when you get “that” shot WoW!

Post processing is carried out in Photoshop CS2, when converting the RAW image I leave it in 16 bit. For sharpening I use the add on “Focus Magic” on the “L” channel after converting to LAB mode – depending on the image some times I tweak the image in LAB mode (for an intro) see: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=16250385 .

While typing this I saw the Mark Plonsky posts come in (I wish! I wish! ) … Mark once commented on one of my images to the effect I was “on the right track” … I was walking on air for a week. Actually, I generally get called Keith – The MikeP thing on this forum is an aberration which would take too long to clarify! BTW my pBase gallery is at http://www.pbase.com/mkpower/canon_300d (please note the “mk” bit!).

Sorry for the length of this post! Hope it may be of assistance to someone.

regards... Keith

Thanks Keith for all that. I like your gallery. More power to your elbow - sorry about the pun. :P

Ron [uK]

:lol: Hi Keith,

Just to add my thanks for the comprehensive explanation of your technique. You might not regard yourself as an expert, but your results are nevertheless pretty amazing. Keep up the good work.

Andrew (Severn Bore)