WnSoft Forums

MSN Messenger

Ronniebootwest

Just recently Ken Cox introduced me to MSN Messenger and I have been very impressed. This program allows you to communicate with each other by either audio (with a microphone) or video (with a webcam).

It is then so easy for someone to 'talk you thru' any problems you may be having with the PTE software. There is also the added advantage of being able to transfer shows directly to one another, and also have lengthy conversations without that dreaded telephone bill catching up with you because the whole thing is FREE.

I personally believe that more people should consider using MSN - why not try it? If you have already signed up then please let me know and I will be very pleased to make contact with you.

Ron West

Be very wary of messenger Ron if you use it, it's vital that Anti-Virus is always up to date. People have got some potentially destructive bugs that can be traced back to messenger activity.

Geoff

As with any “Peer to Peer “ programs, there are security settings, and any updates to MSN are usually a security update. – Keep up to date.

MSN in particular there is a setting to only add users to your list that you accept, along with a virus scanner setting to check any incoming automatic acceptance of files if you wish to do so, directed to a specific folder. Of course you can manually accept files and manually scan.

I think that problems that occur with these types of programs are with younger users that accept anything you send them and click Ok to everything (my young nephews are prime examples).

To day majority of computer users are fully aware and cautious of Virus/Trojans etc. problems.

I even advise my own daughter to check anything I send her. - Her responsibility, and yes I check all PTE shows downloaded or sent to me. - My responsibility.

All in All – MSN is a great tool, sending a large Picture to EXE show to someone or simply asking for instant help.

I also would like to see more members use it, and if I can be of any help – Just ask.

Ken Quote:

and to take 3 xtra strength bird flu virus pills

So I take it Ken that this old bird is safe to contact Ron !

Hi Geoff,

can I just say that your original warning about MSN was taken very seriously by me and I totally agree that such warnings should always be given. I appreciated your comments and took immediate action to safeguard myself.

Ralph

You reply is very useful and your comments about the settings in MSN are very interesting. I will be talking to you about how to access these settings when next we speak on Messenger.

Ron

Over 250 members have looked at this post and I am surprised at the lack of response. Is it that people are afraid to use this program because of the 'bad comments' it has received in the various forums? Somebody once said that the 'Ford 8' was a badly designed motor car, yet it went on to become the most popular car in the 1950's. I would like to make contact with anyone who is actually using this software and not just talking about it, especially anyone in my immediate location, i.e. South Wales.

Over 250 members have looked at this post and I am surprised at the lack of response. Is it that people are afraid to use this program because of the 'bad comments' it has received in the various forums? Somebody once said that the 'Ford 8' was a badly designed motor car, yet it went on to become the most popular car in the 1950's. I would like to make contact with anyone who is actually using this software and not just talking about it, especially anyone in my immediate location, i.e. South Wales.

I've been using it for donkey's years. No problem at all, never get anything "harmful" here - e-mail is much, much worse! I prefer MSN Messenger to ICQ, actually; GoogleTalk isn't half bad either.

But I'm not in your 'immediate location', am I? :) Northern Sweden and South Wales are not exactly close neighbours.

I was always afraid that people would catch sight of what I look like in the wee small hours of the morning if I joined ! Must remember to take the curlers out and peel the face mask off (or maybe wear the brown paper bag). :ph34r:

Will be soon setting up some DI and digital AV meetings in South Wales as have just been appointed a DIGRO for South Wales - that's RPS talk for Digital Imaging Group Regional Organiser. Any helpers in the area who'd like to help set up some events please get in touch. :D

Will have so much time on my hands ..when the Peace AV is finished. B)

(Yes I haven't forgotten - need a whole day and night at home to finish that)

Gotta go ....... giving a digital AV Talk at 1.30 today

(am not usually awake by then .. only kidding. Lol )

Have joined MSM but not had time to set it all in motion - will start soon. :D

M

I could not believe my eyes on the forum. An item from Maureen- who I see comes from South England !!!

When I met the delightful Maureen recently at Snods Edge in Northern England I could swear she has a lovely Welch accent..............what with the Welch flag and all.......

I note that you have taken on yet another role in the UK world of AV Maureen. It's obvious to me that poor old Robert peels the spuds and has all the washing up to do... On the other hand he does an odd thing with AV does'nt he ?

I've got it........ They have a butler !

Best regards,

Alan in NE England.

But I'm not in your 'immediate location', am I? :) Northern Sweden and South Wales are not exactly close neighbours.

Hi Leif, It really doesn't matter where you live, you are very welcome to contact me on MSN if you want to. The more people on this forum who sign up the better as far as I am concerned. Please visit my web site and you will find out how to contact me.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use MSN - but yahoo messenger...I don't allow anyone to contact me unless they are on my buddy list...

This type of software - whether MSN or yahoo is just another hole into your system letting "undesirables" in - whether it is "joe smith" wanting to be "friends" or a new virus threat...

They are great tools for connecting people and I'm always a click away from friends/family/fellow photographers! but definitely caution needs to be taken as with ANY software/utility that allows "outsiders" in.