WnSoft Forums

Where to download ptev Codec?

fonz

A friend made me a PicturesToExe AVI file and I can't play it back on my PC. When I view the properties of this AVI file using the nifty utility "GSpot Codec Information Appliance", it says that my system needs the "ptev" codec.

So, where can I get this "ptev" codec?

Thanks.

A friend made me a PicturesToExe AVI file and I can't play it back on my PC. When I view the properties of this AVI file using the nifty utility "GSpot Codec Information Appliance", it says that my system needs the "ptev" codec.

So, where can I get this "ptev" codec?

Thanks.

Here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack_download.htm

If it's not in this batch you don't need it - LOL

Lin

fonz

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3992

I just made a custom avi using Jeff's recommendation

"The results of these tests show that the only codec that produces satisfactory results is the Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2. If this is selected via the "Custom" option in PTE, then a permanent AVI file results."

and same worked perfectly, then checked it with my GSpot proggie and it found no errors.

ken

Thanks everyone for the replies. To remake the AVI with a different codec wasn't really an option for me at the moment.

I'd would first rather explore trying to get the "ptev" codec. So, Lin, I did download this:

http://www.free-codecs.com/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack_download.htm

However, I do not see a codec specifically named "ptev". Do you or anyone else know if there is another one in that pack that is the same or will support "ptev"?

I guess I could install every single codec in that pack, but I'm afraid of what it might do to my machine. Does anyone know if it's bad to have too many codecs installed? And how do you uninstall codecs if there is a problem?

Thank you!

i believe the codec you are looking for is part of the p2e program

i do not believe it is part of

ttp://www.free-codecs.com/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack_download.htm

ptev = pictures to exe video

k

Ken is right - the strange thing is that "normally" you wouldn't have an AVI compressed with the PicturesToExe codec because it's created temporarily and erased when you leave P2E. Perhaps what your friend did was to find the AVI and copy it to another location before exiting P2E thus creating an AVI which would only work if you had P2E installed on your computer.

You could certainly purchase P2E, it's very inexpensive and very useful. With P2E installed you would be able to run this AVI but I don't think the codec is available as as stand-alone. As mentioned eleswhere, the MPG4 codec is perhaps the best to use when creating an AVI for distribution.

Best regards,

Lin