WnSoft Forums

Hi Def DVD Slideshow

mcdivit

mcdivit, also a warm welcome.

In Ken's top link on page #2, I have described a procedure I used and am very excited about.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....opic=3943&st=20

This is using Nero Vision.

What software you are using, maybe you can advise.

Creation of PTE video to HD wide screen 16:9 is very new to many of us, so any input you can provide as to programs used, your procedure and final results would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all for the warm welcome and ideas.

I have tried using Nero in 16:9, but it is still 480p and looks terrible on a plasma or lcd.

I was hoping for a silver bullet.

With a jumping 3-year old to take pics of, I won't have a lot of time for chasing codecs and working out compatibility between apps!

My desktop station is a P-4 with a dual headed Matrox P65 PCI-Express card and 2-20" Samsungs. I'll guess I might have issues with this card and some video apps. (It only has 64meg fro both monitors, 3840x1440)

I'll stay tuned for future releases. It sounds like the new Version 5 might do it!

I really like Picasa for easy native-res PC slide shows, but I'd like to archive shows to DVD so my wife can easily play them on one of the big plasmas without the PC interface.

Cheers,

Chris

Is there any way to burn a slideshow to a DVD in standard 720p or 1080i HD format?

No, I don't think there is until HDD-DVD or Blue-Ray recorders are available.

However, you can generate an avi-mp4 file with the higher resolution which can be shown on a computer using Media Player. To generate the avi-mp4 file you need to output from PTE as Custom AVI and select a suitable mp4 codec. DivX should do it but I use Xvid. These codecs will need to be downloaded.

To show on a TV, you need a LCD or Plasma set with suitable input for HD formats.

I have successfully used a Pinnacle Show Center with output as Component Video to play back my sequences at 1280x720 on my JVC television.

This box will either connect via an ethernet connection or USB to a PC.

If you don't want to use a PC then you can copy the avi to a USB flash card.

I hope this is of interest

Keith Biggs

Keith

guess you did not read the tests we have done, we are putting shows on plasma tv's tho not blu ray, people that have viewed are very impressed with what we have done

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3943

and Hawk is working with

free Microsoft Media Encoder 9 which produces WMV9 video 1280x720 with HDTV quality -- i imagine he will state his latest results shortly

ken B)

Keith

guess you did not read the tests we have done, we are putting shows on plasma tv's tho not blu ray, people that have viewed are very impressed with what we have done

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3943

and Hawk is working with

free Microsoft Media Encoder 9 which produces WMV9 video 1280x720 with HDTV quality -- i imagine he will state his latest results shortly

ken B)

Thank you, Ken

I've just rejoined the forum after quite a long break.

Will certainly read through the earlier posts.

I have produced video files at 1920x1080 but there seems little point for me as the TV will only resolve 1280x720

Keith B

Hi Keith ( welcome back )

In regards to ver 4.48 and my link above with my procedure so far, I would be curious to know your results using images 1280 x 720, and changing the Picture to Exe .INI file - before starting program Picture to EXE to read as.

AVIVideoRenderWidth=1280

AVIVideoRenderHeight=720

--------------------------------

Custom .AVI - 1280 x 720

As to Ken mentioning

( Microsoft Media Encoder 9 which produces WMV9 video 1280x720 with HDTV quality )

This is just something I dabled with the other day, and untill I can burn a few samples and view on my daughters HDTV I cannot give any comments.

I will post here my results soon as I get a chance.

Hi Keith ( welcome back )

In regards to ver 4.48 and my link above with my procedure so far, I would be curious to know your results using images 1280 x 720, and changing the Picture to Exe .INI file - before starting program Picture to EXE to read as.

AVIVideoRenderWidth=1280

AVIVideoRenderHeight=720

Custom .AVI - 1280 x 720

As to Ken mentioning

( Microsoft Media Encoder 9 which produces WMV9 video 1280x720 with HDTV quality )

This is just something I dabled with the other day, and untill I can burn a few samples and view on my daughters HDTV I cannot give any comments.

I will post here my results soon as I get a chance.

I use 1280x720 for all my sequences.

I can't say I understand what is going on with regard to the actual screen size when the Render width/height is changed. It doesn't seem to come out correctly. Correct aspect ratio but smaller than full screen.

I am away now for the whole of next week (without a computer) but will get back to this when I return.

Keith B

Keith

Thanks for giving it a try, I only suggested 1280 x 720 as you mentioned your TV will only resolve 1280 x 720. I know very little about HDTV’s as I do not own one, but some settings can be made at the TV level.

When you get a chance you may want to try a small 5 – 6 image show with image size 1920 x 1080 and change the .INI to

AVIVideoRenderWidth=1920

AVIVideoRenderHeight=1080

See if that produces a full screen.

Correct aspect ratio but smaller than full screen.

Was the quality acceptable ?

There appears to be changes also in ver 5, which may make things a little more simple once this feature is enabled.

When you get a chance you may want to try a small 5 – 6 image show with image size 1920 x 1080 and change the .INI to

AVIVideoRenderWidth=1920

AVIVideoRenderHeight=1080

See if that produces a full screen.

Was the quality acceptable ?

A quick, last minute play before we go away!

Changing the AVIVideoRender settings does improve quality. For me, above 1280 makes no difference other than increase the video file size.

My problem with the on-screen size was due to not cropping accurately to the 16x9 ratio.

I also tried other codecs but the only one that works for me is XVid MPEG-4

The quality on a 17" 1280x720 monitor is virtually as good as the .exe version.

Seen on a LCD TV it is excellent.

Keith

I've used prior versions of PTE to produce 1920x1080 avi output from 1920x1080 (and larger) source images. Windows Media Encoder 9 then successfully converts these to .wmv files much smaller in size. It takes a long, long time to do it and I have a pretty powerful PC! So experiment with 10- to 20-second shows first! From a 1920x1080 (non-interlaced) avi file Encoder can produce any of the standard HDTV formats (1920x1080p, 1920x1080i, 1440x1080p, 1440x1080i (the latter two using a non-square pixel aspect ration of 1.33) and 1280x720p. Any of these formats can be burned to a standard DVD (or DVD-DL) in WMV-HD format and played back on a PC (limited, of course, by the size and quality of the monitor). I believe both HD-DVD and Blu-ray players claim to be able to play WMV-HD. Once PTE 5 supports video output I will test that claim and post again.

Despite the fact that every (well, there are only about 20 titles out so far) commercial HD-DVD movie says "1080p" on the box, that is marketing hype. HD-DVD players can't output better than 1080i - only Blu-ray will support 1080p all the way to the monitor/TV.

Hi Ray

As you are aware from our previous discussions, my standard procedure using Images 1920 x 1080 - PTE default codec – Custom AVI – 1920 x 1080 – Burned with Nero Vision at 16:9 – High Quality – 2 Pass gives me outstanding results full screen.

I have just duplicated a show using Media Encoder 9 with end results as you mention a WMV file playable only on the computer.

Using Nero Vision that did accepted the WMV file and choosing 16:9 setting I then was able to created the TS_Video folder files that burned to DVD playable on Wide Screen TV.

In my opinion the quality between both procedures was equal.

This method was double encoding which I was leery about and naturally took much longer.

Just another test attempt.

In regards to

I believe both HD-DVD and Blu-ray players claim to be able to play WMV-HD

This is something we have been also questioning.

Keep us posted on any results with version 5 you may have, we are also looking forward to this feature being released.