WnSoft Forums

Tutorial Information Update -- Good News

Lin Evans

Hi Guys,

I decided to convert my html tutorial to PDF format and I believe it is quite readable that way. Apparently the smaller sized web text couldn't be read even with the magnifier software so after looking at Jeff Evans' PDF version I was curious if it would work better as a PDF.

I downloaded a trial version of a PDF conversion software (Highly Recommended! and I'll devote another page to this on a different thread) and it took all of about six seconds to convert 10 page of html code from Microsoft Publisher into what I think is a very readable pdf document.

So here are the links to both Jeff's and my PDF versions of the initial tutorial. I will be updating mine with the release of beta 3....

Lin

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/tutorial.pdf

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jvedette/PTEV5guide.pdf

Lin

Lin, no offense but from my humble point of view, you should consider to write your tutorial in a less linear way. :unsure:

Your tutorial has to be read from the beginning to the end to understand, there are no section and not enough visual links between your images and your explanations.

It might be frightening for a newbie.

I think Jeff tutorial is more convenient because you can choose to read a single paragraph if you need some information on a specific point/feature.

After this, I hope you don't hate me. ;)

Lin's original tutorial contained a half page visual on seven out of the eight pages. Are you sure that the non-illustrated tutorial to which you refer was none other than a response to me in a former thread, which I found also very helpful.

Ron [uK]

Lin, no offense but from my humble point of view, you should consider to write your tutorial in a less linear way. :unsure:

Your tutorial has to be read from the beginning to the end to understand, there are no section and not enough visual links between your images and your explanations.

It might be frightening for a newbie.

I think Jeff tutorial is more convenient because you can choose to read a single paragraph if you need some information on a specific point/feature.

After this, I hope you don't hate me. ;)

LOL - no, (hate) that's not one of my "attributes" :-) Actually, my first (and only) tutorial was and is a "beta" tutorial. There are several different types of approaches to teaching which work differently for different "thinkers". We are not all wired the same way and what works very well for some doesn't work well at all for others.

In my many years teaching in a university environment, I found that no one approach works best for everyone. Some prefer a "referenced" approach where there is a table of contents, referenced pages and modular presentations while some learn better from a "linear" approach where the student is led step by step through the practical application of actually "doing" rather than "reading about" doing the task. In short, some learn by reading and thinking, others learn by doing.

My first hurried attempt at this was in response to several requests and was designed not as a "manual" but more as a basic tutorial on how to use and understand the concept of "objects" as presented in the then two day old beta release. It was important to me to convince those who were a bit perplexed by all the new possibilities to get their hands "dirty" so to speak, and actually "create" a very short slideshow consisting of a couple slides. Because once one discovers how easy it is and has a handle on the concept of keypoints, then the confidence gained from that experience makes understanding the more esoteric concepts much easier.

When the rewrite is done after or coinciding with the release of version 5.0 I suspect Jeff and I will work out perhaps a "two pronged" presentation where both approaches may complement each other and satisfy each type of learner.

Best regards,

Lin

I suspect Jeff and I will work out perhaps a "two pronged" presentation where both approaches may complement each other and satisfy each type of learner.

I think i'm definitely a "reading and thinking learner" (copyright Lin). :lol:

Seriously, i think you're totaly right about the two approachs.

When the rewrite is done after or coinciding with the release of version 5.0 I suspect Jeff and I will work out perhaps a "two pronged" presentation where both approaches may complement each other and satisfy each type of learner.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I entirely agree with your comments. I think that both approaches are needed. In your version you walk a user through the various steps to completing an animated image. However a user may also want to look up a control function at a later date and that is where my appraoch comes in. When I get some new software, I always like to try to understand all of the functions. I have found in the past that if you do not explore these, there is always some wonderful trick that the software will do that you do not know about.

So a joint approach is definately what is needed.

Jeff

Lin,

Your PDF version of the tutorial reads very well including all the screenshots now. Many thanks.

Thinking of the various comments it would seem that both your and Jevans approaches have much merit.

Maybe trying to combine them would be difficult ?

I think Jeff's (Jevans) guide, followed by your step by step apprcach tutorial with examples will do the trick ?

Whatever your final offering we are all indebted to you for the work !

Best regards,

Alan in NE UK