WnSoft Forums

Route Progress on a map

JohnFeg

Ken

It is just AA (Automobile Association) in the UK but AA also stands for Alcoholics Anonymous :blink:

John's "The change, at the "U" bend was facilitated by a horizontal pan, to give the impression of forshortening, as the boat came bows on" has given me ideas on my destroyer "HMS Gloucester" with a limited use of the "medallion technique". At least I could make it veer as it approaches. Thanks John.

Ron [uK]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have made the modification to my HMS Gloucester cameo and reopened my topic "PTE 5.0 -First attempt". Thanks again for the idea John and my apologies for interrupting the flow of this topic "Route Progress on a map".

Ron [uK]

As soon as I can lay hands on a suitable map I'll post it for comment.

This little project, for me, has been both agreeable and satisfying, notwithstanding, the moments of utter frustration when thing didn't quite go accordin to plan!

John

While working on my “Seville Boat Excursion” project, I have encountered a few things that are, perhaps, worth mentioning:

a) 2 hours of work was lost because of a little crash. I’d had MS Media Player on, listening to a music CD. On shutting it down, with PTE still running, PTE shut down as well.

B) I found it difficult, nearly impossible, to make any modification to small objects (the little riverboat) in the object list. The only way round this I found, was to bring the object to the front and then, after tweeking it, putting it back to it’s correct position, relative to the other object, by tediously repeating “step back one”. Has anyone found a better way?

c) Regarding the sympathetic presentation of images, against the background of the master image. To my taste, adding a subtle drop shadow, proved to be the most pleasing. See what you think when I post for comments. That, I hope! will be tomorrow.

d) The easiest way to accurately position the small PNGs of the bridges – over the map, (so that the boat appeared to pass beneath them) turned out to be by including in the Bridge PNG some distinct, contrasting feature (generally it was a road edge) Then, by reducing the opacity of the Bridge PNG to 30%, it was a very simple business obtaining good registration.

e) Surprisingly, I found that “cut-out” objects displayed better if no feathering was applied.

All food for thought; but, BEWARE of Media Players!

John

While working on my "Seville Boat Excursion" project, I have encountered a few things that are, perhaps, worth mentioning:

A.) oops ! :(

I leave Igor tell you his diagnostic.

B.) In one Hand, you can use window zoom control (at the top of the O/A window) to have better control on small objects

Here are some information (and tips) on how to modify the zoom :

- you can select a value directly in the list (from 10% to 500%)

- directly type a number in the the zoom field (no limit !)

- zoom the window with the wheel of the mouse holding the SHIFT key

- x (numeric keyboard) : zoom = auto

- / (numeric keyboard) : zoom = 100%

Note that you can move the screen window in the work area with the mouse holding the ALT key (might be useful with a big zoom).

In the other hand, I think this thread might interest you.

Hope it helps !

C.) D.) E.) I need to see your show ! :)

While working on my “Seville Boat Excursion” project, I have encountered a few things that are, perhaps, worth mentioning:

a) 2 hours of work was lost because of a little crash. I’d had MS Media Player on, listening to a music CD. On shutting it down, with PTE still running, PTE shut down as well.

B) I found it difficult, nearly impossible, to make any modification to small objects (the little riverboat) in the object list. The only way round this I found, was to bring the object to the front and then, after tweeking it, putting it back to it’s correct position, relative to the other object, by tediously repeating “step back one”. Has anyone found a better way?

c) Regarding the sympathetic presentation of images, against the background of the master image. To my taste, adding a subtle drop shadow, proved to be the most pleasing. See what you think when I post for comments. That, I hope! will be tomorrow.

d) The easiest way to accurately position the small PNGs of the bridges – over the map, (so that the boat appeared to pass beneath them) turned out to be by including in the Bridge PNG some distinct, contrasting feature (generally it was a road edge) Then, by reducing the opacity of the Bridge PNG to 30%, it was a very simple business obtaining good registration.

e) Surprisingly, I found that “cut-out” objects displayed better if no feathering was applied.

All food for thought; but, BEWARE of Media Players!

John

Hi John,

As Dom said, you can just zoom small objects so you can deal with them easier. The one thing I think you could consider it just having your boat run up the "river" without any red line, etc. This way you can totally avoid having to make small PNG's and align them.

I'm not sure whether you read my post and link while I was in San Francisco a couple days ago, but here's a link again so you can take a look It's just a real quick demonstration of a little boat going up the river and "under" text and a road, etc., without any red line, etc.

If you don't use the red line, you can simply take your original map, duplicate it over a transparent layer then cut out the river but leave the bridges and any other objects you want to boat to go under. Then put the boat between the background and cut out and when it comes to anything on the cut-out layer which isn't "cut-out" it will pass behind or (under) the object. This avoids having to make and align small PNG's to mask the boat when it comes to a bridge, etc.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/boatrip.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hi John,

out" it will pass behind or (under) the object. This avoids having to make and align small PNG's to mask the boat when it comes to a bridge, etc.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/boatrip.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for that Lin. However, after going up several dead ends I have put together a (sort of ) slide show that has achieved what I was looking to accomplish.

It will be posted on Alrobins site in the near future. I'll give more details about it then. For now, I'll just say that I learned a lot and am so impressed with and grateful for the generous and unstinting help so many forum members gave.

John

p.s. any time you want to post a new version of the show, don't hesitate to send it to me. If it gets bigger than 5 Mb or so, it might be a good idea to send it by "dropload" or "yousendit" rather than by email.

Al,

I've tried several times to send the finished version. Using either Dropit or Yousendit I get the same result. After about 2% of the download I get a message "The page you are trying to view is unobtainable" The same screen you get when you try to reach a site that is shut down.

It could be I'm doing something stupid!

Any ideas?

John

Al,

I've tried several times to send the finished version. Using either Dropit or Yousendit I get the same result. After about 2% of the download I get a message "The page you are trying to view is unobtainable" The same screen you get when you try to reach a site that is shut down.

It could be I'm doing something stupid!

Any ideas?

John

John,

I did receive two files, but couldn't open either one. This is quite common with dropload, so might as well try sending as attachments to a couple of emails.

John try to upload it at the cottage

Bill will take it down after X# of days or sooner if requested

ken

Thanks for that Bill. I've tried. Bill is on holiday and the upload link is temporarilly closed.

Guess it will have to wait awhile!

John

No problem : each provider give their client a free space on their server.

100 Mo minimum most of the time.

You can upload your files on this space with a little program called FTP client.

There are two well know and free FTP Client : LeechFTP and FileZilla.

And once the file is uploaded, you simply post the link to this file (on this forum by example) to allow people to download it.

Those utility programs are quite simple to use. It's like a window browser with copy and paste functions.

No problem : each provider give their client a free space on their server.

100 Mo minimum most of the time.

John,

You may need to get a userid and password from your ISP provider as well, if you have this capability.

• 4 weeks later...

HEY JOHN

does it have a steam whistle and a bell - and i think sidewheelers also have a siren:)

Ken,

I thought I'd have another try at uploading my "little boat" sequence

Some weeks ago, you were kind enough to send me the "upload" link to Beechbrook Cottage.

I didn't keep it because I thought I'd be able to access it at the site, I can't!

Worse, I did a forum search and still cannot find it.

I'll be grateful if you'll send it again.

Regards

John

John

You will find it in the second post of this topic which you started. http://beechbrook.com/upload/ Click on the US Flag for instructions in English. Good luck.

Ron [uK]

John, I can't wait to see your show ! ;)

I have tried, over the past couple of days, to upload this show to the Beechbrook Cottage site.

Each time I get an error message:

Microsoft VB script runtime error 800 ao1 a8

Object required session/LM/w3SUL/40324522/root/global/asa.line 23

Does anyone know what I'm doing incorrectly?

John

John

did drop a line to Bill

cottage@beechbrook.com

Ken,

yes I've done that. After I made that last post I thought I'd try uploading with Zone Alarm turned off (not for any particularly logical reason, but because ZA has been causing me grief with another application recently)

When I tried to upload again, it actually started. Then after a minute or so, it broke off and I got the standard "site unavailable" page.

Would that life were simple!

John

John,

How big is your demo ?

If it's less than 2 Mb, you can upload it on my site : http://thefreedom.free.fr/share

(you need to register first for being allowed to upload ;) ).

If you file is bigger than 2 Mb (but less than 10 Mb), you can send it to me and I will upload it on my site for you if you want.

If you're interested, send me an email and I will give you my email address.

Speaking of my site, the process is very long to upload files on it (especially to find links and explanations to each project).

I already posted some files but I still have to upload more than 30 projects and demos. :(

Btw, there are two very interesting demos I couldn't find :

- the flipping coin

- the roadmap by Alrobin (i'm not sure?). (I already find the Lin Evan's one).

If you guys could help me to find the threads, I would really appreciate.

Thanks ! :)