WnSoft Forums

Q: Is it possible to offer viewer clickable options?

Ralph

I was wondering if anyone has created a way for slideshow viewers to be able to click on a link to choose from among different slideshows placed on a single CD?

I created a work-around for this, but it is not terrifically elegant:

1) Create an autorun file that starts a slideshow called "starter.exe"

2) Create a slideshow called "starter.exe" that has one black frame, and set the slideshow to start an application called starter.html when it ends

3) Create a webpage called starter.html which has the other slideshow selections as clickable hyperlinks

-------

What I don't like about the above approach is that it is a bit clunky, and when the viewer makes a selection and clicks on it, warning windows come up asking if the viewer is sure that they want to run an .exe file

I am aware that some OS' will automatically open a window showing the CD's contents when it is placed into the CD player, but not all of them do. In many instances, the viewer has to navigate to My Computer, then to the CD drive, etc. I would like to have an easier, more elegant approach, if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ralph

welcome to the forum

we have another Ralph

Ralph McDermott [ralphmcd@rogers.com]

who has a demo on a site that may suit your needs but he is likely sleeping right now:)

also see the utilities and demos posted here

http://beechbrook.com/pte/index.asp?categoryid=2&view=View

in the interim Boxig has written many pieces that possibly will get you going

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...ct=ST&f=2&t=539

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/

ken

Ralph,

Sounds like you want some kind of 'Menu', there is my 'One Page Menu' tutorial (See my website) or I have just finished a pdf tutorial on the 'PTE Organisor' - this is a sophisticated organisor/menu designed by Snickles who is a member of this forum.

Ron

Hi Ralph

On your ( one black frame – Starter.exe ) you can design any thing you wish as to background image and add Buttons – Text – Hyperlinks – linked to each show you created for your user to choose from.

Your “ Starter.exe “ would be your Menu

Burn all .EXE shows along with your Autorun file to root of CD

On the Menu you could add a link to your web page, however it would not link unless one was connected to the Internet of course.

Yes – problem with security ! – Depending if your user has “ Always ask before opening this file “ – unchecked.

Major issue with Menu shows.

post-14-1150212895_thumb.jpg

Check your E-mail, I sent you an additional message off forum..

Be sure to look at the links, members have provided above.

If this is the route you would like to take, advise us and someone will surly provide you with more detailed help if required as to settings.

Hawk, that "Open file - Security Warning" is interesting. Where is that found in Windows XP? There is the same issue in PowerPoint, if setting a link to any .exe file to open. An annoying window appears asking if you really want to open this file, etc. This is another example of Microsoft protecting us from our own files!

Bill

Hi Bill

Yes XP, by default I believe or depends on level of security setting.

Being an .EXE file it is just a warning message.

I should just switch it off, as it is a real nuisance for menu shows. It is a normal procedure for me to virus check all files anyway.

I didn't find 'One Page Menu' tutorial' on your website.

And will your pdf tutorial on the 'PTE Organisor' be free ?

Send me your email address and I will send a copy of the One Page Menu pdf.

The pdf for the Organisor will be part of an 'Audio Visual Tutorial' and as such will not be free because I have to cover the cost of making it. (I make no profit though)

Ron