WnSoft Forums

PTE 5 beta 3 & monitor profile (ATI video card)

davidlshepp

Ok I lied in my other post when I said I would try beta 3 tomorrow. I couldn't wait and tried it today.

There is still a problem with the program created with beta 3 unloading the monitor profile. My test program unloaded it at least 4 times during my testing.

The program would run 4 or 5 times ok, toggle the profile off, toggle it back on, then run numerous times ok.

I havn't quite determined the pattern or what other variables affect it to enable me to create and predict it

I also did not previously say which driver version I am running.

Catalyst 6.3 Windows 2000 filename 6-3_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_30895.exe.

I reinstall my system clean periodically, this driver was not installed over a previous version.

David,

Try again please this example several times:

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/KeepGamma.zip (380 KB)

Does it unload profile?

p.s. This unpleasant problem happens if you adjust desktop gamma in Adobe Gamma Loader or MonacoEzColor on ATI video cards only. This bugs exists in ATI drivers since 2005 year. I also checked up - they already fixed it in new drivers for Windows Vista. ATI didn't reply on our letter and doesn't fix the problem. I'm trying to find some solution, but apparently it not always help.

David,

I just tested on ATI Radeon 9600Pro and Windows 2000 with exactly same drivers v6.3 you wrote.

Beta #3 works fine there and restore gamma after closing slide-show.

Please try again, restart Windows and don't run old slide-shows created before beta #3 run only new projects created in beta #3 and let me know about result.

Beta_3___Project1.zip

David,

I just tested on ATI Radeon 9600Pro and Windows 2000 with exactly same drivers v6.3 you wrote.

Beta #3 works fine there and restore gamma after closing slide-show.

Please try again, restart Windows and don't run old slide-shows created before beta #3 run only new projects created in beta #3 and let me know about result.

I created a 1 image EXE file with a zoom animation with beta 3.

Rebooted

Ran EXE 15 times ok

Opened & closed PTE 5 beta 3

Ran EXE 10 times ok

Opened & closed Word (Office 2003 SP2)

Ran EXE 4 times ok

Ran EXE, profile toggled off

Ran EXE, profile toggled on

Rebooted

Ran EXE about 60 times with a few other apps opened & closed periodically without problems.

I do not know if this is good or bad news. I also attached the file I used for testing.

David,

I think there will be no problem. The only temporal problem if you will run slide-shows created before beta #3

The solution for ATI cards I found should works now.

You did so large experiment with so many checkings.

Thank you for the help and testing!

p.s. in this question NVIDIA video cards are better - they even use same adjusted gamma during slide-shows. Opposite, ATI always unloads gamma for all fullscreen DirectX applications.

I am curious now because I do fully understand what the problem is here. Can you explain exactly what you are experiencing please.

Ron

In some cases the color correction profile stops being used by the system after a DirectX application exits. Also if the DirectX application ran immediately again, in some cases the system will spontaneously restart using the color correction profile when the program exits, without having to reload the color correction profile with the gamma program.

David,

I think there will be no problem. The only temporal problem if you will run slide-shows created before beta #3

The solution for ATI cards I found should works now.

You did so large experiment with so many checkings.

Thank you for the help and testing!

p.s. in this question NVIDIA video cards are better - they even use same adjusted gamma during slide-shows. Opposite, ATI always unloads gamma for all fullscreen DirectX applications.

This NVIDIA information is very interesting to know, especially since I will soon be starting to aquire parts for building my next computer.