WnSoft Forums

Image size and desktop screen resolution and laptop resolution

joe smith

Yes I am a Newbie. Read on. I just tested my first slide show on my Dell Inspirion 700m laptop and discovered that many of my titles now show up in the image at the top instead on top of the image where I thought I had placed it. I built the slide show on my Dell desktop pc with a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 and showed it on my laptop which normally has a resolution of 1280 x 800 but which was changed to 1024 x 768 to match the digital projector's resolution.

Most of my horizontal images were saved as JPEGs at 1000 or 1024 pixels and the verticals were saved at 700 or 768 pixels. Does this affect where the titles show up?

What caused the titles to change position?

Do I have to change the resolution on my desktop to 1024 x 768 everytime I build a slideshow in P2EXE?

Where do I go to read and understand what is going on here?

Thanks Joe Smith

What caused the titles to change position?

Hi, Joe, welcome to the Forum!

You have probably experienced a quirk of PTE whereby (in the versions prior to version 5) the positions and sizes of objects added in the Object Editor are affected by the resolution on which the show is being displayed. So, to adapt the 1280 x 1024 show to a 1024 x 768 monitor or projector, you will likely have to go in and change the position of any text you added in Object Editor.

If you are not using version 4 or earlier, please let us know and provide more details as to how you are adding the text in question.

In Version 5, beta 4, unless you choose "original mode" in "Objects / Animation", this problem will not occur. However, objects other than "rectangle" and "images" are not available yet in the new version.

Hi Al, I made the show in version 4.48, which is on my desktop and my laptop. I think the problem is that the titles were moved from above the image (desktop) to the inside of the image (laptop) because the image might have been at its maximum vertical size, 768 pixels. So does that mean that if I do not want to have titles inside the image, I have to deliberately make my images smaller (ie less than 768 pixels high)?

I am still confused as to how to resolve the problem with my current slide show , and, more importantly, how to avoid it in the future when I create new shows. I do not know where else I could move the titles except to eliminate them. My guess is that I have to go back to the original images and resize them to reduce the vertical pixel size to allow for titles above the images so both the image and the titles fit the 768 pixels restriction. This is a royal you know what! I just might have to go back to Pro Show Gold. Joe Smith

Hi Al, I made the show in version 4.48, which is on my desktop and my laptop. I think the problem is that the titles were moved from above the image (desktop) to the inside of the image (laptop) because the image might have been at its maximum vertical size, 768 pixels. So does that mean that if I do not want to have titles inside the image, I have to deliberately make my images smaller (ie less than 768 pixels high)?

Yes, in V. 4.48, if your images are of a certain aspect ratio, and the monitor on which you are viewing them is also that configuration, then you would have to make the images "shorter" in order to leave space above them for text objects as PTE always reduces images to fit a smaller screen. You can have smaller images, and arrange to view them at the same size on a higher-resolution monitor, but not the reverse.

You can preview to see how your objects will look on a different monitor by opening the Object Editor, and selecting one of the screen resolutions in the top left-hand corner. Then make adjustments accordingly.

As I mentioned, this will all be corrected in Version 5.

I do not know if it does have one or not. But if its product works w/o the need for one, that is a plus for that product. That being said, when I did use it, I ran into some problems that made me want to try P2EXE. I would have thought the issue I ran into with P2EXE would have been pointed out somewhere in a tutorial or general instruction. It seems to me like it is a pretty basic thing you need to know about if you are going to use titles in a slide show. Joe Smith

I do not know if it does have one or not. But if its product works w/o the need for one, that is a plus for that product. That being said, when I did use it, I ran into some problems that made me want to try P2EXE. I would have thought the issue I ran into with P2EXE would have been pointed out somewhere in a tutorial or general instruction. It seems to me like it is a pretty basic thing you need to know about if you are going to use titles in a slide show. Joe Smith

Hi Joe,

Yes ~ you have made a very good and fair point ~ many of us would agree with you ! however may I add that Igor the PTE Designer has promised a resolution to this 'problem' - indeed it's one of the improvements that we are awaiting when the "Dual-Engined PTE 5.X Program" is finally released.

May I make a point about the 'Script Size' changing. Firstly most of us and the vast majority of the A/V Fraternity use 1024x768 Pixel Format as a 'de facto standard' ~ the other being the 800x600 Pixel Format for Web Applications and in my experience many Laptops use various 'House Standards' depending on the Screen Size and whether its LCD or Plasma etc,etc, consequently there is no Laptop Standard such as those used on Desktop PC's ~ in fact its far better to adopt the 1024x768 Standard for a Laptop in the first instance.

Also in PTE the 'Object Editor' is a Dynamic Utility (unlike Pro Show Gold) this means that this function is used for many other 'Linked Functions' apart from dropping script on to an Image. It insets 'Buttons' ~ External program Links ~ Hyperlinks and a whole range of functions which make PTE stand head over any other Slideshow Program.

Now with the advent of the "Dual-Engined Version" this will put PTE at the top of the Class and its no wonder that so many Professionals and Business interests use it in their 'day-to-day' activities.

My point being, its a very small inconvenience to accept this 'minor bug' because the Program offers so much more than its competitors....

So be fair, get familiar with it and give it a good trial before you decide.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Joe,

LOL - not at your dilemma, but at the suggestion that ProShow Gold might not "need" a help forum. Indeed it does have a forum - a couple to be exact - one on Yahoo groups and one dedicated to PhotoDex enthusiasts(link below).

http://itsmygallery.com/ProShow/

As someone who has used each (PicturesToExe and ProShow) since their pre-release beta versions many years now, I can guarantee you that ProShow has its share of difficulties. The problem you experience is solved in the beta version of PicturesToExe and will be a non-issue in the release version 5.0.

How to use text and such are always interesting issues but the abilities to use transparent background PNG files have greatly affected the way we "think" about these things. The important issue to me, in so far as the differences are concerned, is that PicturesToExe allows full resolution images and ProShow Gold and ProShow Producer do not. Rather than allow full resolution images they optimize for DVD quality (low resolution) then interpolate upward from not more than 800x600 pixels to effect executable slideshows with greater screen display resolutions. This takes a serious toll on image quality which is in part why so many professional photographers prefer PicturesToExe.

With the release of version 5 PicturesToExe will far surpass anything of substance that can be done with ProShow Gold and in several ways surpass the very expensive ProShow Producer product. Which is better for you is something you will need to determine for yourself. I know which I prefer :-)

Best regards,

Lin

The operation of the Object Editor and the need to think ahead when it comes to placing objects has been thoroughly covered in previous posts here on the Forum, and also in my basic tutorial "PTE 101", available on Beechbrook, as well as in other PTE tutorials from time to time.

Since you are resizing your images in an editor prior to use in PTE, why not add your titles in the editor and save as another file for use in PTE? This allows total control as well as text enhancement.

Also, if you are using PTE to place text objects on a slide you can set the resolution to your desired size using the small drop down selection in the upper left of the screen. If you set the resolution here to match your desired playback resolution (image size) then any object placed will be carried forward as you want. Once version 5 is out in full form this problem should go away entirely.

Good luck

Bruce

Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the comments. I went back to my desktop pc and set the resolution to 1024 x 768 and looked at each image in the pte file and made changes to the titles where needed. This is about all that I could do given my limited knowlwdge of the program.

I suggest that all of you experienced users look at the tutorials provided a new customer by Wnsoft and then decide for yourself how useful they are for various issues. If you do not think they are clear or complete enough, why not help Wnsoft redo them? If Wnsoft is coming out with a new version, this is the perfect time for a new set of tutorials.

When I was in business, I always had my newest employees revise the procedures manuals as they learned their jobs. After all , these are the ones that need them the most, not the bosses who already know the ropes.

I will look at Al's tutorial at the web site he quoted.

Regarding Pro Show Gold, many of my friends use it. I know that Revision 3 has just been announced. My friends tell me that it includes a tutorial. While the technical advantages of P2EXE over Pro Show Gold might exist, most non technical users will not care, other things being equal between the two programs.

Joe Smith

Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the comments. I went back to my desktop pc and set the resolution to 1024 x 768 and looked at each image in the pte file and made changes to the titles where needed. This is about all that I could do given my limited knowlwdge of the program.

I suggest that all of you experienced users look at the tutorials provided a new customer by Wnsoft and then decide for yourself how useful they are for various issues. If you do not think they are clear or complete enough, why not help Wnsoft redo them? If Wnsoft is coming out with a new version, this is the perfect time for a new set of tutorials.

When I was in business, I always had my newest employees revise the procedures manuals as they learned their jobs. After all , these are the ones that need them the most, not the bosses who already know the ropes.

I will look at Al's tutorial at the web site he quoted.

Regarding Pro Show Gold, many of my friends use it. I know that Revision 3 has just been announced. My friends tell me that it includes a tutorial. While the technical advantages of P2EXE over Pro Show Gold might exist, most non technical users will not care, other things being equal between the two programs.

Joe Smith

Hi Joe,

When I look back in 'hindsight' ~ when I started to use PTE ~ I also had the same criticism of PTE as you now have....lack of a comprehensive 'Instruction Manual'..supplied with the Program from WnSoft and of course you are correct in your analysis.

Now if I attempted to Manufacture & Supply a product within the English speaking World, I would be told what to do with it...if it's support Manuals were non-existant and I being an english speaking person !

Then again I would have a major problem if I attempted to sell a product into an Arab State or to Russia....I simply don't know their Language's neither is my Computer set-up to generate the Font Types & Character and cross-assemblers for these Languages

...it's not an easy job.

To be fair to PTE, its a Russian Program as are the Developers, and they do supply a 'Short-Form Manual' in 22 Languages and additional 8 Slavic/Coptic Keyboard Command Sets. Open the PTE Folder and see for yourself.

This does not in any way reflect on the wonderful 'Manuals' created by Al Robinson and others who have unstintingly contributed their time and efforts in bringing to us those in-depth PTE.Manuals....

Joe I appreciate the point you made, but in consideration of other factors one must be considerate of the limitations imposed on 'non-english' speaking Developers and Igors' English is improving daily, I wonder could the same be said of us if we were to import into his Country ?

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Joe,

I`ve had the same problem and I am using 4.48 - very irritating. However I`ve got round it very nicely. When I`m assembling a sequence and using the text etc. I go into control panel and set my computer resolution to 1024x768. WHat this does is set the size of the object editor and you can then place your text boxes within the limits displayed. That way, when you come to do your show, they will not have moved. Great thing is, when I show on my laptop screen at full resolution, the objects do move, but revert to their designed positions when you connect to a projector or whatever - double whammy!! My laptop is a Sony Viao (or however you pronouse the damn thing) with a wdie screen,

Hope this helps. Give it a go before desrting the ship to P..........D