WnSoft Forums

can someone pls help me with autoexec

whenzuc

I am a new user. I am adding this file to be burned on the CD. My presentation name is Project1.

I called the file autorun.inf and wrote this in Notepad and saved as that name. This is what I typed in:

[autorun]

open=Project1.exe

icon=Project1.exe

I burned this file and Project1 on the CD. What did I do wrong?

Wendy

Wecome, Wendy!

All seems perfect, and I think you didn't anything wrong. Maybe Autorun function is not activated on your drive...

But you didn't say what happens when you place your CD in the drive! :)

Hi Wendy

What you have done all seems correct. However, like you I find that sometimes an autorun CD created in this way fails to start up when inserted in the drive, and only autoruns when the CD Rom drive letter is clicked in Explorer or My Computer.

There is another way of creating an autorun CD - see previous thread

there are suggestions here for using free utilities to create the CD's.

I find that if I also include a file "autorun.exe" and use "autorun.inf" to open this file, then the CD will autorun every time. It shouldn't make any difference, but it does seem to!

Ian

Wendy,

I dont know what OS system you currently use ... in some cases it can create different issues ...

... but try removing the identity of the icon file " icon=Project1.exe" completely from your AUTORUN.INF file and just use "open=Project1.exe". You really dont need to use any ICON identity labeling.

Ian and Nobeefstu- Can you please tell me exactly what to type and save. Are they just 3 separate files that I copy to the CD? I would appreciate any help as I have ruined about 5 CDs all ready! Lucky for me they are very cheap now! Thanks in advance for any ideas that you may have.

I am using xp operating system, and I have other programs that auto start.

Wendy

1st- Just create a AUTORUN.INF file ... and enter/save the below lines in its content :

[autorun]

open=Project1.exe

*** All spelling must be exact ... no room for error here.

2nd- Copy the Autorun.inf file and your Project1.exe to the ROOT of your CD ... use no folders here in your case senario.

*** Make sure you create your CD Disc using Data Mode.

Once you have generated your CD ( burning of the file contents to the disc) ... eject the CD Disc from your CD Rom ... then reinsert the CD Disc to initialize the autoplay function of your Autorun.inf file.

In your case ... you donot require ICON idenity of your EXE file ... as you are using the ICON value of your EXE already. You only need to enter ICON identity if you are changing the value of your EXE's current identity.

nobeefstu- At the risk of souding even more stupid, this is what I just did:

I burned another CD.

There were 2 files that I copied to the CD, copying to data:

File name was autorun.inf

I saved it in lower case this way, and saved it as the entire name with .inf in the name in the Notepad.

This is what was in the file:

[autorun]

open=Project1.exe

icon=Project1.exe

It did not work

Then I saved it the next time as :

[autorun]

open=Project1.exe

Then I copied the file- the one with the rectangular logo. It is called Project1. It doesn't say exec anywhere on the file name. Is this a problem? I also burned one with the name Project1.exe. This one did not work either

There were no folders, just copied the 2 files.

I'm not sure what the Root means.

After the CD was burned, I ejected the disk and then put it in again - the 2 files came up and I need to click on the Project1 or the Project1.exe with the rectangular logo

Can you please help!!! I am lost here.

Wendy,

A Valuable Hint :

When building any program ( such as PTE) and creating a data CD ... you must be able to view ( see) the extention names of your files( .wav, .txt, .inf, .exe) your working with. If unable to view or see these extentions ... you must enable their view from within your programs manager (Folder View Settings -- View All files).

Since you cant see your extentions ...you may have copied the wrong files to your CD Disc without knowing for sure what they really are.

Another Test :

Try renaming your current EXE name to just Project.exe and also its identity within the autonrun.inf file. Rare but possible ... you may have some XP user settings restricting the filename use.

Another Test :

Since your CD is loading the autorun.inf and showing you the CD contents and not actually running the Project1.exe ... double click the exe show manually from this CD view to verify that the exe is actually functional. If your exe wont run by double clicking it from the CD Disc ... the autorun.inf wont be able to run it either.

Thats enought for the moment ... try those tests first.

*** If you have any CDRW Disc around ... use them till you sort this issue out.

nobeefstu- We are getting somewhere.................

I got the extensions names on my files.

First, my Project1.exe file is fine. It opens when I double clicked it, and the extension is .exe

As for my autorun.inf file -- that could be the problem. The extension when I look is autorun.inf.txt is this the problem. I saved it autorun.inf. It saved as a text file as a default. Is this the problem and how do I fix it?

As for my autorun.inf file  -- that could be the problem.  The extension when I look is autorun.inf.txt   is this the problem.  I saved it autorun.inf.  It saved as a text file as a default. Is this the problem and how do I fix it?

Mark the autorun.inf.txt and rename it to autorun.inf.

If you don´t have enabled the showing of the file extensions (in explorer), when you name the autorun.inf with notepad, the extension of the file is always .txt. You must use the option - save as - and then give the new extension .inf.

Greetings, T. ;)

Hi Wendy

Tripstrilles is correct here and the method of saving is the cause of the problem.

Also before I ever burn a CD I always create all the necessary files in a directory called Make CD (it can be called anything you want) and I then check that all is ok by either dbl clicking on the autoexec file or go to start, run, browse, then browse to the above named directory and click on the autoexec file and then run it. This way you are checking that all is working correctly before you start wasting CD's and getting frustrated. ;)

Regards

Mike

Mersea Island

Wendy,

Yes, rename your existing autorun.inf.txt to autorun.inf as Tripstrilles suggests.

Your previous filename ext is most likely causing your CD loading issue. I recall some time ago a PTE user had the very same experience when saving with their notepad and not having enabled their ext file view setting to see how it was actually saved as. However, I dont recall that their CD loaded to file view when using the autorun.inf.txt ... as you mention yours has done. I find it strange that it loaded at all ... since it was only a .txt file.

Hopefully , you should be good to go now.

Wendy

Missed PS

I then use the files from the 'make cd' directory to actually burn the CD, you then know all is fine and in one place and your are working with copies not originals

Mike

Mersea Island