WnSoft Forums

"BOOK EFFECT" templates

thedom

Bjc originally posted an effect of flipping images (see this post - demo : http://www.bjc100.co.uk/PTE/flip_image.zip).

The main job is done in a photo editor and the images are integrated in PTE.

Bjc posted an excellent tutorial to make such an effect.

Then Lin posted a "quick and dirty" demo to proove that this kind of effect can be done directly in PTE http://www.lin-evans.org/p2e/simulation.zip and he was right ! :)

I improved the idea a little bit, added white frame to simulate a page, shadows to make a better 3D effect, ... and made my own demo :

TheDom-BookLandscape-Small.jpg

[click on the picture to download the demo - 855 ko]

Now, two templates to make this "book" effect with your own pictures are avalaible :

- Book effect for pictures in landscape format (like in the demo above).

The archive includes a photoshop action to quickly process your pictures :

TheDom-BookLandscapeTPL-Small.jpg

(184 Ko)

- Book effect with pictures in portrait format.

No need to proceed your pictures - They can be used directly in PTE !)

The archive includes a demo to see what it looks like :

TheDom-BookPortraitTPL-Small.jpg

(840 Ko)

Hi,

Tried your portrait book flip download. I am very impressed with your template which works fine. However the 5 jpg images referred to in the show are not part of your zip file. Was that intentional? Also I see how to chnage "REPLACE" into my photos, but what is the funtion of the file "TheDom-BookPortrait-Small.jpg". Should that be replaced, and if so, with what. The slide shsow does not work unless this image is replaced with something.

Regards

Jeff

Jeff, Thank you for your interest.

Actually I forgot to includes the .jpg files in the zip. :rolleyes:

(thanks to Hawk too who noticed it and post it in an other topic).

I uploaded a new version of my template (same link).

And I modified it a little bit because I noticed a very minor display bug in the previous version.

Everything should be ok now. :)

The funtion of the file "TheDom-BookPortrait-Small.jpg" is to be used as main image to show what the animation looks like and this, directly in the slide list in the main window.

The object can be removed (named "**REMOVE** (sample)" in the objects window (in the O/A window). Everything should work fine even if you remove it. Please, tell me if it doesn't. :huh:

Please, if you have any suggestion to improve the way templates are done, be my guest.

JPD is waiting for feedback too to release the final version of this 3D cube template. B)

Hello,

I'm not much of a poster, but I have been a member since 2002.

I am so glad to see that y'all have made a "Flip Book"

I made one back in 2004 after seeing the one they were selling

on line called the Flip Book. I had thought of putting it up on this

forum the one I had made back then to view, but I am not good at

doing tutorials nor teaching how I do things, so I just kept quiet.

I do my shows for family or friends only and I don't keep any

that I make for others after I give them the show (except a few I have

kept of my family gatherings). I did keep this 1st flip show I made

when I was trying to figure out how to do it with pic2exe. It has no

music nor icon and no one has ever seen it in my family. It was an

experiment. I don't even remember which version I made it with, but

after seeing these posts I went looking and sure enough there it was.

So I am enclosing a link if any would like to see what I came up with

back in 2004, but remember yours is much smoother and I really don't

know how to explain it correctly only that I used graphic programs

to do it before I put them in pic2exe.

P.S. I thank you all so much for all your tuts and knowledge and your

abilities to show us all how you do things. I only wish I were as able. :blink:

Here is the link to download SHOWS

Just click on "Moments in Time" to download if you'd like to see it.

Raydene

Dom,

it's an interesting demo, I have try it and have 2 requests about it :

First why do you work all level with "fit to screen" option, it's not so easy than with original mode for all levels and only the first one "Fit to screen"

The second is that it would be better to use black and white jped files instead of the rectangles because there is no anti-aliasing with rectangle and there are steps on lines when it rotate, you will not have steps with the two jpg files.

Note I am still working on cube to to a better work before sharing.

Dom,

it's an interesting demo, I have try it and have 2 requests about it :

First why do you work all level with "fit to screen" option, it's not so easy than with original mode for all levels and only the first one "Fit to screen"

You're right, I could work with "original" mode for objects on level 2 and under.

But I had no problem to work this way.

I think you're right for a mosaic effects with a lot of objects that you have to precisely adjust to make a whole single picture but I don't understand why it would be easier to work this way for this project in particular. Could please tell me why ? Thanks. :)

The second is that it would be better to use black and white jped files instead of the rectangles because there is no anti-aliasing with rectangle and there are steps on lines when it rotate, you will not have steps with the two jpg files.

You're right on this point too. There is no antialiasing for PTE Reactangles for the moment but it's only temporary.

See Igor's answer to my question on this point here

Note I am still working on cube to to a better work before sharing.

And I'm quite sure you gonna have clients ! :)

Here is the link to download SHOWS

Just click on "Moments in Time" to download if you'd like to see it.

Hi Raydene,

May be you shouldn't be so quiet because the effect was very nice (same technique as bjc. You can find his tutorial including actions here).

PTE v5 has now new features to improve what was done manually before and make it directly IN PTE.

You should have a look at what other experiments you made.

Maybe there are some that could be great with v5.

No need to explain how you made, just post them, I'm sure there will always somebody to make it possible for everybody (with credit for you). :)

why it would be easier to work this way for this project in particular. Could please tell me why ?

This projet is especally do to show photos. When we have photos, the best result is to have no resizing if possible. As there are many screen definitions, it impossible to have no resizing for all screens if we want to use full screen for all definitions, but it's possible to choice one screen definition for which there will be no resizing, for instance 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 960.

We can resize in Photoshop all the pictures for the definition we have choice in order to have the best quality as possible. We will not have any calculation to do when using these pictures and they will be resized only one time, by the objet level 1. The proportion between two objects depend only of there sizes in pixels.

If we use fit to screen and percents, the proportion between pictures depend of there sizes in pixel, but also of the differents percents of all the parents' objects.

When we have to position objects exactly, with the original mode, we have only additions or subtractions to do, in the other case are added multiplications and divisions, so as it's too difficult, people use the mouse to place and resize objects, but there is not a good precision.

Jeff, Thank you for your interest.

Actually I forgot to includes the .jpg files in the zip. :rolleyes:

(thanks to Hawk too who noticed it and post it in an other topic).

I uploaded a new version of my template (same link).

And I modified it a little bit because I noticed a very minor display bug in the previous version.

Everything should be ok now. :)

The funtion of the file "TheDom-BookPortrait-Small.jpg" is to be used as main image to show what the animation looks like and this, directly in the slide list in the main window.

The object can be removed (named "**REMOVE** (sample)" in the objects window (in the O/A window). Everything should work fine even if you remove it. Please, tell me if it doesn't. :huh:

Please, if you have any suggestion to improve the way templates are done, be my guest.

JPD is waiting for feedback too to release the final version of this 3D cube template. B)

Hi Dom,

Dowloaded your modified portrait demo template and it works fine. Initially I could not see how you had done this effect. But after studying the O/A window for some time, I think I can see how you have done it and am amazed by your ingenuity. No way could I have thought of doing that. Very impressive. You are making a realy important contribution to the forum.

Jeff