WnSoft Forums

saving avi file

ray thurgood

I would like to import a PtoExe project into Adobe Premiere so that I can build a video which will include not only this project but also digital video from a videocam. However, the automatic deletion of the avi file on closure of Pto Exe means that the file is not retained for use in Adobe premiere.

I have tried to get round this automatic deletion of the avi file by changing the name of the temporary file - but to no avail.

Has anybody got any ideas how the avi file might be permantently saved? Many thanks. :o

when you create a show with v5 beta 7 and burn a dvd via "builder" you can select to make a permanent mpeg

i select bulder from the video button to start the builder function then i select video again and create the avi and then back in builder i drag the avi into the bottom box

i have not tried to just make the mpeg -- i have selected all features and been successful

ken

post-16-1163245985_thumb.jpg

I would like to import a PtoExe project into Adobe Premiere so that I can build a video which will include not only this project but also digital video from a videocam. However, the automatic deletion of the avi file on closure of Pto Exe means that the file is not retained for use in Adobe premiere.

I have tried to get round this automatic deletion of the avi file by changing the name of the temporary file - but to no avail.

Has anybody got any ideas how the avi file might be permantently saved? Many thanks. :o

rwt,

Welcome to the Forum!

In PTE you can also choose to create a custom AVI which can then be used in any one of the many video rendering programs, Premiere included.

Or you can open Premiere and add the temporary AVI file that PTE creates, as long as you keep PTE open while you render the show.

Or, you can use a program such as Nero to create an AVI file from the temporary AVI that PTE creates, and then import this "permanent" AVI file into Premiere.

I use Premiere Elements, and have used each of these methods successfully. The nice thing about PTE is that it is extremely versatile. :)

• 3 weeks later...

rwt,

Welcome to the Forum!

In PTE you can also choose to create a custom AVI which can then be used in any one of the many video rendering programs, Premiere included.

Or you can open Premiere and add the temporary AVI file that PTE creates, as long as you keep PTE open while you render the show.

Or, you can use a program such as Nero to create an AVI file from the temporary AVI that PTE creates, and then import this "permanent" AVI file into Premiere.

I use Premiere Elements, and have used each of these methods successfully. The nice thing about PTE is that it is extremely versatile. :)

Ken and Al,

Many thanks for aking the trouble to reply to my query.

I did manage the project simply by keeping the PTE application open the whole time I prepared and burned the DVD.

It may be that my application has been corruipted; if I choose to create an avi file, that is also deleted when PTE is closed. I'll look into it further.

Thanks again and kind regards.

if I choose to create an avi file, that is also deleted when PTE is closed. I'll look into it further.

This is by design

there are ways with 4.48 to make permanent files

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...;f=4&t=1873

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ic=4318&hl=

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ic=3992&hl=

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ic=3943&hl=

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to use Sony Vegas Movie Studio to create an avi, but when I go into explorer to find the temporary AVI file (and yes I've left PTE open) the temp. file is not there.

I also have Adobe PRemiere Elements.

How do I get it into the video editor?

Thanks!

Isabel

Trying to use Sony Vegas Movie Studio to create an avi, but when I go into explorer to find the temporary AVI file (and yes I've left PTE open) the temp. file is not there.

Thanks!

Isabel

Hi Isabel,

PicturesToExe has two ways to create an AVI. The way where you keep PTE open then burn a DVD, etc., is that PTE doesn't actually create the AVI file but rather provides the images and a "template" for the transitions, timings, etc., to the compatible programs which use this information to create their DVD, etc.

To create a stand-alone AVI file with PTE, you need to put a check (dot) inside "Create Custom AVI file" then choose an audio and video codec. Once you have done this, a real stand-alone AVI file will be created which you can then inport into any program to modify or use however you choose. But you must click on the "Create Custom AVI File" to do this otherwise you will be creating a "template" to inform compatible software "how" to create the slideshow in AVI or MPEG format which they (the compatible software) then use to burn a DVD.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks!

Isabel

Isabel,

I use Premiere Elements very successfully to burn PTE shows to dvd.

When you first request PTE "Video" to create your "AVI" file, make a note of where the temporary "AVI" file will be, and also what it will be called.

Then, after you open Elements, when you are looking for the AVI file to import, go to that same folder, and select the file by the same name you made a note of in the previous paragraph.

• 4 weeks later...

when you create a show with v5 beta 7 and burn a dvd via "builder" you can select to make a permanent mpeg

i select bulder from the video button to start the builder function then i select video again and create the avi and then back in builder i drag the avi into the bottom box

i have not tried to just make the mpeg -- i have selected all features and been successful

ken

Ken,

I have tried to follow your procedure but cannot see how you can drag the avi into the bottom box. I am probably being a bit dense but is this a renamed version of the avi you have filed somewhere? I tried this and could not drag such a file into the "bottom box". Or is this a different box in 8u? Is it the include additional folders and files box that you refered to? I could only make a similar process work by keeping PTE running and the created avi live.

Peter

Peter

when the first couple of betas came out i could not make a show with the pte file so, i would first make an avi as you do with ver 4.48, and let it be saved to the working folder, and keeping the pte program open until the job is complete

then started up dvd builder and the avi would be in the top window -- i would drag it down to the lower window and proceed from there

i forget which beta this problem disappeared, but am now able to do all with the pte and make all the items on the page - see attached as to what i make

ken

post-16-1169245191_thumb.jpg

Peter

when i start a show i put ALL ITEMS IN THE FOLDER

then for each attempt i create a folder within the main folder and id the folder as to date and what version i used and then store the pte in that folder -- everything is together then i do not have to browse for picts music etc -- in this case the main folder became quite large 1.15 gb -- i do not like to trash attempts until we have settled on whether it works -- so i created a sub folder and put the main components in it and for the experiment would include that folder

the theory behind my thinking was that if you did a show for somebody the dvd you gave him would have everything on it -- a working production and all his files

in the screen shot of that particular test i did include the folder

ken

I used similar settings as in your screen shot Ken, but failed miserably in trying to create a DVD+R using DVD Builder. I subsequently created a DVD from the saved *.mpg file using Roxio. I had no problems when DVD Builder was first introduced.

Ron [uK]

Ron there were a lot of behind the scenes communication with Igor, Al and Hawk but then it seemed to all come together.

can you make a complete disk as per screen shot now?

try doing one section first

then add another section

keep adding until until it fails

then send all details to Igor/Sergey including the pte and ptv

i also designated a folder "video" in MY documents for all the parts to go in

that way all parts are easy to find -- but you must put them in a properly ID'd folder before attempting again because of the "naming protocol"-- Some will be overwritten with the next attempt

ken

i also designated a folder "video" in MY documents for all the parts to go in

that way all parts are easy to find -- but you must put them in a properly ID'd folder before attempting again because of the "naming protocol"-- Some will be overwritten with the next attempt

Ken,

I find that if I give the project a new name each time (top line on the 3rd screen of VB), the program automatically creates a folder by that name and saves the video files to it. The default name is "Untitled" but you can change it. No need to create a new folder first.

Ken

As the playing of my sequences on a TV is not one of my priorities as against the projected images on a screen, I prefer to stick with what I have found to be successful, i.e. the copying of the MPEG file using Roxio. My only use for the facility is to create the odd DVD for my elder son to view on his TV. I feel sorry that I cannot spend more time on it at the moment, as I know that we need as much input as possible helping to develop the programme.

My settings for my blank burns were as below.

Ron [uK]

post-8-1169319586_thumb.jpg

Ken,

I see that this could be a problem.

Maybe Igor could arrange things so that VB will automatically assign the "Project name" to the file instead of the number "0", to save having to create a special folder for an mpeg file each time. It works OK for an "iso" file.

In fact, maybe all of the files could be automatically saved in the same folder as the "DVD Video" files, and that way would all be kept together in one place.

Hi Al,

Can you please tell me how many files are actually needed for a single video and what they are? I get confused with avi files, mpeg files, vob files. I guess it's not essential to know this but I feel it would help.

Thanks Peter

Peter,

The video files required on the DVD, and which Video Builder automatically creates, for a single show, are the following:

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_0.VOB

VTS_01_1.VOB

The last file contains the video content for the show, and the one before it controls the content of the menu.

As Ken has indicated, all of these files are contained in a folder called "VIDEO_TS". The other folder on the DVD will be "AUDIO_TS", but if you have used "Video Builder" to burn the show, it will likely be empty.

You can see these folders and files on your HD if you select "Create DVD folders" on the third options screen of Video Builder. Look for a folder by the same name that you gave to the project at the top of the same screen.

Ken, Al

Thanks so much for your help with this. I have been having problems burning DVDs and I have now found that using Video Builder I can only burn to DVD using +RW discs. This is strange as I can burn with all the other formats using other burning programs. Igor is looking into this.

In the meantime I am experimenting and have found all the files you kindly listed for me and Al you are spot on the audio folder is empty.

Is there a way in which I can use these files to burn a DVD directly and will I have lost my audio?

DVD players and recorders seem to be designed to be difficult! Thanks for the link Ken. There's a lot of info on DVDs but it may be some time before I am completely demistified.

Peter

Ken,

Thanks again. I burned the file VTS_01_1.VOB to a DVD (-RW) using Nero and it ran perfectly. The sound was intact. The file was produced using Video Builder but Video Builder cannot itself burn the show to a -RW DVD although it does so with a +RW disc! I hope the info that you have enabled me to provide will be of use to Igor.

Peter