WnSoft Forums

large file transfers

JRR

I hope I am adding something new here as I have not be following the forum as closely as I used to as I have been busy doing shows and planning trips.

In the past we have talked about how to transfer our .exe files for others to see our shows.

Dropload was the old stand by, but over the past several months some of us have been having problems with their not sending e-mail messages to recipients.

YOU SEND IT has become a favourite that many of my counterparts use quite effectively.

There many others out there, but two that have come to light more recently are:

MEDIA FIRE this service allows indefinite retention of of files and no restriction on downloads. Be aware though that some people, myself included have had issues uploading files over 10mb, but others have not problems at (including myself using another computer on the same network)

Pando allows for a 14 day file retention. It also requires software to upload and download the files

As I say there are many others out there.

I hope I am adding something new here as I have not be following the forum as closely as I used to as I have been busy doing shows and planning trips.

In the past we have talked about how to transfer our .exe files for others to see our shows.

Dropload was the old stand by, but over the past several months some of us have been having problems with their not sending e-mail messages to recipients.

YOU SEND IT has become a favourite that many of my counterparts use quite effectively.

There many others out there, but two that have come to light more recently are:

MEDIA FIRE this service allows indefinite retention of of files and no restriction on downloads. Be aware though that some people, myself included have had issues uploading files over 10mb, but others have not problems at (including myself using another computer on the same network)

Pando allows for a 14 day file retention. It also requires software to upload and download the files

As I say there are many others out there.

Here's the site I use. Kinda slow uploading, but my clients say downloads go quickly.

http://www.sendthisfile.com/

larry

I was just looking at GMail which is put out by Google. It's free and allows up to 1 gigabite of storage and large file transfers. It's getting good reviews in the press. I haven't tried it yet.

Bubba

GMail has a file size limit of 10 Mb for email attachments, which is not very large.

Also, you cannot send EXE files through GMail and it doesn't matter if it has been put in a ZIP or not. The reason they give is to prevent the spread of potentially damaging viruses in the executable code.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590

Given the growth and importance of Google in the computer universe, the WnSoft team may want to look again into an option they mentioned recently about distributing a stand alone P2E player that could play content only (no executable code) slideshow files.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

you cannot send EXE files through GMail and it doesn't matter if it has been put in a ZIP or not
One of my mail servers doesn't allow even ".jpg" and ".gif"...

The safest way to send a "critical" attachment is to rename it with an unknown extension, as ".es", ".exc", ".guru" :D as so on.