WnSoft Forums

Expiry date

Michel

M.eX

I think making a "self-destroying" slide show is going a bit extreme ... I dont believe most users create such sensative and critical exe shows that they need to resort to this need. :rolleyes:

Also, most users today dont turn back their PC clock/date ... as this can induce other annoying problems for some of the other programs you have on your PC/OS ... so its alot of trouble just to play back a expired show. :huh:

I also like the "Expire" feature, since the need arises in some cases ... I just got to remember to disable/remove the settings when making normal shows. :blink:

zaharia

You can produce this function somewhat quite easily in some of the INSTALLER PROGRAMS available.

I have used "Paquet Builder" to expire and destroy demos I have supplied. The "Paquet Builder" actually runs the show or program ( invisibly-you dont see any difference) ... as all needed program content is extracted when executed. You must also create/include a delete file (within the INSTALLER) to destroy the INSTALLER also.

However, this only works from HARD DRIVE installled/copies .... as CDRs are READ ONLY and you cannot destroy or delete any files contained on the disc.

Ever try to delete a CDR or its file contents ?

Ever try to delete a CDR or its file contents ?

Yes, I tried, Stu, and in my opinion it's not so difficult. Yes, a CD is very flexible, but if you bend it well (over 90°), it "explodes" suddenly.

To delete (well, not exactly delete, but...) its content, a screw-driver is enough (on its pointed size!).

If you find some difficulties, please write me!

Guido,

Thats a good one ... you got me there.

However, I have had on some very few occasions, CDs that kinda destroy (quit working) themselves ... without any effort or programing on my part ! :rolleyes:

... I didnt even need to bend it or use screwdrivers ... really a self destroying way ! :blink:

Guido and Stu:

I too have found CD-R's lose themselves from time to time, but cross fingers, I have never had one lose itself after closing it off.

Have I been lucky, or is that your expereince ?

I have found that CD-RWs have a limited life. That has been confirmed by manufacturers when I contacted them.

They will take about 1,000 writes before they say "good-by". That might seem quite high, but if you back up files as you make them as I do with image files and others, if you do that 10 times a day, after three months, make up a new CD-RW and throw the old one away.

I tend not to use CD-RWs any more and just stick to name brand CD-Rs

I guess this is way off topic from where this thread started....

I am not quite sure I see the point of an expiration date for a PTE show.  After all, it is not like a shareware where restrictions are to force people to buy it ...?

I can see where the expiration date would be useful if you are

using a show for a price list. You would not want people looking

at old prices. Or, when I am not done with a show I will put an

expiration date on it so people can view it and give me feed back.

And I know they will need to come back for the final copy after

the date I have entered.

cc