WnSoft Forums

Winter

JohnFeg

I have put a new slideshow called “winter” onto the Beechbrook site.

Trust you will not find the little seasonal joke, it's inclusion was irresistible, too frivolous!

Wishing Igor, his mighty team, all the forum members/readers and all the families, that patiently tolerate our obsessions, a very very Happy Christmas.

John

the families, that patiently tolerate our obsessions, a very very Happy Christmas.

John

John I will download your show in a moment. But I am in hearty agreement with your statement above. I guess we should not only agree but let "them" know (or in some cases, perhaps, beg for the tolerance?) :D

John,

You certainly put a lot of effort and creativity into this show! I don't think I have ever seen such a realistic simulation of falling snow - very clever! The lone Canada goose flying over was well done, too. :)

Just one little thing disturbed me while watching the show - the flashing bright transitions between the slides. Otherwise, very nice to watch.

I agree with Al, the images were great and the falling snow realistic. As regards the transitions between images it looked to me John as though you returned each time to your original background.

Ron [uK]

John,

You certainly put a lot of effort and creativity into this show! I don't think I have ever seen such a realistic simulation of falling snow - very clever! The lone Canada goose flying over was well done, too. :)

Just one little thing disturbed me while watching the show - the flashing bright transitions between the slides. Otherwise, very nice to watch.

Al & Ron,

yes I agree with what you say regarding the transitions.

None of the standard transitions gave me what I was trying to achieve; that was, the effect of seeing things through a "Jack-Frost" window (remember them?)

I'll have to think it through.

There was also a strange phenomenon, at least there was on my PC, the last slide, with the closing text, had the most peculiar shimmer in the sky, as it opened, something that I didn't create.

I tried all manner of things to prevent it occuring, but, it obstinately persisted.

Did you get this same result? any idea what is causing it?

John

No John, I cannot say that I saw the shimmer to which you refer.

Ron [uK]

John,

I don't see any shimmer on that image either (viewing at 1280x768). Maybe it is there only for certain monitor resolutions?? There is a very slight shimmer on some of the panning and zooming images, but nothing serious, as a certain amount of this is to be expected, particularly when the images are sharp.

John

ok here

some shimmer on p/z -- brick work of old mill area

ken

Ron, Al & Ken,

things get curiouser and curiouser!

When none of you saw any shimmering, I copied that slide only into a dummy slideshow. What d'ya know? - no shimmering.

But it's still very evident in the slideshow "Winter".

In fact, to call it shimmering is to understate the phenomenon. It's just like the Aurora borealis in greyscale for the 1st second or so.

John

John,

The fact that it only occurs during the first second or so of that slide leads me to believe that on your system you are experiencing some interference between the objects on that slide and the transition to the slide.

I have made that observation quite often (particularly with moving text) if: (i) I have some program running in the background, or (ii) if my monitor is set to a resolution much higher than that of the slideshow I am trying to run. In my case, the problem shows up as a momentary discontinuity in the movement of the text objects at the end of the transition and at the start of the next one.

I've mentioned this problem to Igor, but haven't pursued the matter as I can easily change the monitor resolution, or reduce the load on the pc by closing out some other programs. I imagine if your video card was an older vintage, with insufficient RAM, that you would notice it more, too.

John,

The fact that it only occurs during the first second or so of that slide leads me to believe that on your system you are experiencing some interference between the objects on that slide and the transition to the slide.

I have made that observation quite often (particularly with moving text) if: (i) I have some program running in the background, or (ii) if my monitor is set to a resolution much higher than that of the slideshow I am trying to run. In my case, the problem shows up as a momentary discontinuity in the movement of the text objects at the end of the transition and at the start of the next one.

I've mentioned this problem to Igor, but haven't pursued the matter as I can easily change the monitor resolution, or reduce the load on the pc by closing out some other programs. I imagine if your video card was an older vintage, with insufficient RAM, that you would notice it more, too.

I had another go at it. Tried: changing the preceding slide and it's duration, all manner of variations on the screen resolution, even, the resolution of the image itself.

Zilch!

Then I reduced the transition duration from 4500ms to 1000ms - et voila, everything ran perfectly.

I cannot get my head round the physics of it, particularly as that slide, at the original setting, ran OK on other machines and, in fact, on my own, in another slide show.

I guess it's a bit like it is with the fair sex; just accept their enchanting qualities, whilst being, almost totally, at a loss to understand what makes them tick!

John